Super Energy Granola Bars (Meal Monday)

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on January 11, 2010

[singlepic id=182 w=450]

Since I’ve started on my No-Sweets Challenge, I’ve been paying much closer attention to what goes into the foods I that eat. Most the amount of sugar in a product (anything over 10 grams is a no-no) and the amount of protein. Sadly, my store-bought granola bars just didn’t cut it. So what did I do, I decided to make my own of course.

I don’t have much to say about these, except that they are perhaps the best granola bars that I have eaten. No, scratch that. They are THE BEST that I have eaten. Ever. In my entire life. And I plan on making these in batches, often, because we devoured the entire pan in under a week. That’s 30 bars people.

Aside from the fact that these are delicious, they are super healthy. They are packed full of filling grains, seeds, nuts and fruit. They are full of protein and fiber. They are my new BFF.

Without further ado, here’s the recipe.

Super Energy Granola Bars

3-1/2 cups old fashioned or quick cooking oats
1 cup craisins
2/3 cup honey roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup crushed almonds (slivered would work too)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup ground up oats – grind to the consistency of flour (you can also use oat bran or whole wheat flour)
3 tablespoons flax seeds
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil (or just spray the pan with cooking spray and forget about the tin foil).

[singlepic id=180 w=450]

In a large bowl combine the oatmeal, craisins, sunflower seeds, crushed almonds, wheat germ, ground up oats, flax seeds and cinnamon. In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, oil and vanilla. Add to the dry mixture, mix until combined (this is hard work!).

[singlepic id=181 w=450]

Press very firmly into the prepared pan. If you don’t press them enough, the bars will end up crumbly. Bake for 15 minutes, then pop into the fridge to harden, 30-45 minutes. Cut into 30 bars.

I store my bars in the fridge, but you probably don’t have to. In my mind, it keeps the bars firmer.

[singlepic id=182 w=450]

Get a little creative! There are so many things you could do with these bars. Add some raisins, dried blueberries, plums or apricots; milk, white or dark chocolate chips, peanuts; peanuts, walnuts or your favorite nut. Melt some chocolate over the top for an extra treat. Substitute the honey with maple syrup. Use less peanut butter and honey to bring out the flavor of the grains and nuts. Try something new each time. And don’t forget to let me know how they turned out.

Search & Win

{ 12 comments }

1 Jalena January 11, 2010 at 8:01 pm

These sound pretty tasty and I was thinking about trying them, but would you mind telling me where you found the recipe so I can check the nutrition info? My OB-GYN just diagnosed me as gestationally diabetic, so I have to watch carbs especially carefully. They sound really good, though! :)

2 Allison January 11, 2010 at 9:00 pm

@Jalena, Here’s the link for the original, but I modified it quite a bit. Plus, the nutrition info includes the chocolate, which my recipe doesn’t.

The carbs that are in this are whole grains, not refined. I think the honey would be the only thing to watch. I made this recipe to try to help stabilize my blood sugar too, I’m trying to keep energized all day.

3 Muthering Heights January 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm

It sounds like they would taste much better than store-bought ones too! :)

4 Allison January 11, 2010 at 9:01 pm

@Muthering Heights, They do. I’ll never buy store bought bars again.

5 Kasey @ All January 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

We LOVE granola bars in our house – but hate all the added sugar in store bought bars. We make them occasionally, but not enough. I will try this recipe for sure!!
.-= Kasey @ All´s last blog ..We’re Having A Party! =-.

6 Allison January 11, 2010 at 9:01 pm

@Kasey @ All, Let me know how they turn out, and if you make any changes.

7 Amy@New Nostalgia January 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm

oh yay, another thing I have wanted to try to make myself. I hear you about the store bought ones, its like eating a candy bar there is so much sugar in them!
I just made homemade granola for the first time and will be posting it on my blog soon, its a keeper.

8 Allison January 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm

@Amy@New Nostalgia, I’ve been wanting to try homemade granola. What is your blog address?

9 Amy@New Nostalgia February 1, 2010 at 8:08 am
10 EMily April 24, 2010 at 8:18 am

I made some of these today and love them! Thank you!! Here’s my post: http://emilyinthedesert.blogspot.com/2010/04/healthier-start-to-weekend.html

11 Tammy October 3, 2011 at 8:15 am

Anybody try this with sunflower seed butter? My kiddo has a peanut and nut allergy. Thanks.

12 Stacey July 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

I thought you needed to grind flax seeds to really get any nutritional value out of them. Do you know anything about that?

Comments on this entry are closed.