Whole Wheat and Wheat Germ Pizza Dough

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on January 25, 2010

I don’t know if anyone has heard of a little blog called MomAdvice, but she’s pretty awesome. To say the least. I’ve made many of her recipes and have never been disappointed. In fact, my ultimate favorite recipe is her Pizza Hut Clone Recipe. This is hands down the best pizza dough recipe I have come across. Plus, you just pop everything in the bread machine and let it do it’s thing.

Now, why would I go and modify something that is already so awesome? Well, because I’m on a health kick. I wanted to make it a little healthier without changing the taste too much. And I think that I succeeded. Even Dad-oo, Eli, Grams and Grandpa Larry agree that it is pretty tasty. While it may not be exactly the same as the original, it’s still pretty tasty. Plus it packs in all of the goodness of wheat germ and whole wheat flour. Without ending up all dry and, well, healthy tasting.

My Health Conscious Pizza Hut-Style Pizza Dough

1-1/3 cups water
2 tsp sugar
1-1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp cornmeal
2 cups white flour
1 cups whole wheat
1/4 cup wheat germ (toasted or untoasted)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1-1/2 tsp yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine, according to manufacturer’s settings. Run dough cycle. After the machine beeps, roll out the dough. This is a lot of dough and you can easily make two 9×13″ pizzas. Or one large pizza and some cheese fries. Or even a few bread sticks.

Preheat the oven to 450º. If you are using a pizza stone (highly recommended) place this in the oven to heat up as the oven preheats. Parbake the crust with a drizzle of olive oil on it at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove the crust and add sauce and toppings. We also add a sprinkle of kosher salt (sea salt would work too) on the crust for an extra flavor boost. Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.

One of our favorite kinds of pizza to make is BBQ chicken. Recipe coming soon. :-)

This recipe is part of the Mouthwatering Monday Blog Carnival over at A Southern Fairytale. Stop by for more mouthwatering recipes.

1 Shannanb aka Mommy Bits January 25, 2010 at 6:28 am

This is great. I’ve been on a mission to add more fiber to our diets (due to a health issue my son has) and could absolutely use this recipe to make him little pizzas.
.-= Shannanb aka Mommy Bits´s last blog ..Mouthwatering Monday – Slow Cooker Potato Soup =-.

2 Allison January 25, 2010 at 12:01 pm

@Shannanb aka Mommy Bits, Oh good! I hope he likes it.

3 Amy January 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm

What a fun variation and so much healthier. Thank you so much for the shout out- it means so much!! ((hugs))
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Red Carpet Bunco & a Cast of Great Recipes =-.

4 Allison January 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm

@Amy, Thanks for coming up with the original recipe!

5 Tara R. January 25, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I like that I can make this in my breadmaker, and it sounds delicious.
.-= Tara R.´s last blog ..Mouthwatering Monday ~ Strawberry Pretzel Salad =-.

6 Allison January 25, 2010 at 8:52 pm

@Tara R., It’s super easy. Just pop the ingredients in and let the bread machine do the rest.

7 Sarah @ This Heavenly Life January 25, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I may have to bust out the breadmaker for this! I have a wheat pizza dough we make fairly often, but I’d love to try this one with wheat germ as well.
.-= Sarah @ This Heavenly Life´s last blog ..While I Hum A Merry Tune =-.

8 Allison January 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm

@Sarah @ This Heavenly Life, It will be totally worth it!

9 Muthering Heights January 25, 2010 at 8:47 pm

That dough sounds delicious!!! I am definitely giving it a try!!
.-= Muthering Heights´s last blog ..In Morning =-.

10 Allison January 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm

@Muthering Heights, Let me know how it turns out.

11 Amy January 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I am so excited about this. We have been making homemade pizza for our family nights every friday, the last few months. I have yet to find a whole wheat pizza dough I like (I’ve only tried whole wheat flour, twice). They both turned out dry and reminded me of cardboard:(
Thanks for posting this. I just found your blog and it is exciting to see someone else on a journey of cooking healthier.

12 Allison January 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm

@Amy, I hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it turns out.

13 Alexis AKA MOM July 13, 2010 at 2:24 pm

YUM I’m saving this one also :)

14 Allison July 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm

@Alexis AKA MOM, I hope you try it. Let me know how it turns out.

15 organic pizza January 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I love whole wheat pizza dough. It makes such a difference.

16 Snackalicious May 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm

This recipe sounds great! It’s being made in my breadmaker right now :)

17 Jaeny May 26, 2011 at 9:07 am

I just found a recipe a few weeks back where brown rice was used to make pizza dough, and I haven’t really given it a try. Recipes at home has to be wheat free, and I would love to make my own pizza with a pizza hut style dough! I guess I could mix and match the ingredients in your recipe with the other recipe. – the thought is scary and exciting at the same time, lol but hey, who knows….

18 Allison June 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Let me know how it goes. It’s fun to experiment. I think the key ingredients to the Pizza Hut dough are the spices. Good luck!