Flax Seed, Whole Wheat and Wheat Germ Bread

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on March 8, 2010

For our last anniversary, Dad-oo treated me to my very first bread machine. I know, romantic isn’t? :-) Actually, that’s what I asked for, and it is one of my favorite anniversary gifts every.

Since I’ve had the bread machine, I’ve kind of turned into a bread-making freak. I use it at least twice a week, sometimes more if I’m really in the mood for some carb-loaded goodness. Bread, dinner rolls, hot dog buns. Pizza dough, cinnamon rolls and English muffins. Mmmmmm, now I’m hungry.

I’ve been experimenting with a bread recipe for the last couple of months, trying to perfect it so I could share it with everyone. Now, it’s finally ready. Tada! A healthy, whole wheat bread that isn’t too heavy, with a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. And when it’s fresh from the oven, it makes a killer PBJ.

[singlepic id=245 w=300]

Just pop in the wet ingredients.

[singlepic id=244 w=300]

Then add the dry.

Set the program, and in a few short hours, your bread is ready. Plus your house smells heavenly.

[singlepic id=246 w=300]

Flax Seed Bread, Whole Wheat and Wheat Germ Bread

2-pound loaf – mix ingredients int he order recommended by your bread machine

1-1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup honey

2 cups bread flour
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons falx seed
1-1/4 tablespons gluten
1-1/2 teaspoons salt

2-3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Mix the ingredients in the pan according to the order recommended for your bread machine. Set the crust on medium and program for the Whole Wheat cycle (or Basic cycle). Press start. This recipe may be used with the Delay Timer too.

When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack. Let cool to room temperature before slicing.

This recipe is part of the Mouthwatering Monday Blog Carnival over at A Southern Fairytale. Stop by for more mouthwatering recipes.

1 Aubree Cherie March 8, 2010 at 5:50 am

This bread looks like its the perfect texture! And so healthy with all the whole grains and flax. I’ve been trying to make a good gluten free bread that isn’t all just starchy flours. I hope I can figure one out that looks as appetizing as yours!
.-= Aubree Cherie´s last blog ..Nutty and Nutritious Biscuits =-.

2 Amy March 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Oh, doesn’t that look yummy? Love a good whole grain bread!! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Chicken, Broccoli, & Fusilli in Garlic Cream Sauce =-.

3 Doll Clothes Gal Pal March 8, 2010 at 5:55 pm

The bread looks sooooo yummy!!! Send some my way! ;) LOL!
.-= Doll Clothes Gal Pal´s last blog ..Emily Rose TV – Episode 6 – Doll Snacks, Pet Fun and Sleepover Tips =-.

4 Muthering Heights March 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm

That sounds like a GREAT recipe!

Don’t you just love bread machines? Mine is one of my favorite appliances! :)
.-= Muthering Heights´s last blog ..The Epitome Of Glamor =-.

5 Allison March 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm

@Muthering Heights, I couldn’t live without mine. I think I’d starve. :-)

6 Julie September 14, 2010 at 3:35 am

Your bread looks delicious. I had to sell my bread machine since I hated how crispy (burnt on the bottom) the bread ended up being. I would like to try again with a better machine – yet not super-expensive. Do you have any recommendations? Do you love yours? I’d like a 1-2 pound loaf, if possible. Thank you for your yummy recipe.

7 Allison September 14, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I have a Wolfgang Puck Bistro bread machine. It’s amazing. It does 2-2.5 pound loaves. I think my hubby ordered it from Overstock.com for under $100.

8 Julie September 14, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Thanks, Allison. I’ll have to look that one up and hint loudly to my husband for Christmas. I can’t think of any other gift-giving event before then… maybe Thanksgiving! We’ll want fresh, home-made bread for dinner, won’t we? :)

9 June Chan September 28, 2011 at 7:06 am

Thanks, Allison for making me be a proud owner of the bread that I just bake with your fantastic “Flax Seed Bread, Whole Wheat and Wheat Germ Bread recipe” My friends will around when I was baking this bread and they told me that they will not believe that it was made by me if not seeing with their own eyes. Never came across such a soft nice texture wholemeal bread. All of them are asking for the recipe now. Thanks once again and hope to get more healthy recipe from you. God bless you for the sharing.

10 gca green coffee bean extract January 5, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Since the admin of this website is working, no doubt very rapidly it will be famous, due to its feature
contents.

11 bet July 29, 2014 at 2:23 am

This article is intersted and I must to follow it. This is a very good article. Thank you for a great information.