Is This the End or the Beginning? (SAHM Series)

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on March 12, 2010

One of my favorite things about being a stay-at-home mom are the milestones. There’s almost no way that I will miss them. The first year alone is filled with so many wonderful things. Smiling. Laughing. Sitting Up. Rolling Over. Baby food. Crawling. Table food. And best of all, walking. Unfortunately, I was a working momma during most of these milestones. I still like to think that I witnessed all of the kiddo’s firsts, but let’s face it, he was in daycare for 9 hours out of the day. There’s a pretty good chance that I missed one or two, but please don’t burst my bubble. I’m happy in my little dream world.

This week marked the beginning and the end. Two milestones that I got to witness firsthand. One of which I’m certain that I would have missed, because it happened slowly.

First, the end.

A few weeks ago, I talked about savoring those little moments. The ones that make up our lives, the moments that we easily overlook and forget. For me, one of those moments is the cozy. The few minutes after bath time, before PJs, where I bundle up my kiddo in his towel, wrap my arms around him, and lift him off the ground, squeezing and rocking, while we both say “cozy, cozy, cozy, cozy”. This always gets a giggle and requests for more cozy. Until this week, when I was denied the cozy. Sadly, I think that this marks the end of his tolerance for mega cuddle time with momma.

And then, the beginning.

It’s not often that I’m woken in the middle of the night by a crying toddler, but this week I was pulled from my slumber by shrill cries. The type of cry that you jump out of bed for. The type of cry that causes you to instantly be awake, even at 3:00 in the morning. As I raced in his room, I was greeted by a sleepy face covered in tears. And whispers of “arrrrrr’s scary”.

I leaned closer, “What’s scary?”

“arrrrrr’s scary”

“Sweetpea, I can’t understand you. What’s scary?”

“Rocka’s scary” (his rocking giraffe)

Well, that’s easy enough to fix. Once Rocka was safely hidden outside of the room, all was right with the world.

The next morning it dawned on me, this was the first time the kiddo was able to tell me why he was crying in the middle of the night. He was able to articulate what was bothering him. He knew how to put his feelings into words. In the toddler world, and in my world, that’s a huge accomplishment. My kiddo, bursting with opinions, emotions and needs, now knows how to express them.

This change happened so slowly, so subtly, that I honestly believe if I didn’t spend my days with him, I would have missed it. I wouldn’t have picked up on the subtle ways that he started filling in his sentences. Using words like the, an, had, I am. But I did notice. I did see the change. I was there to witness if first hand. And for that, I am forever grateful that I am blessed to be a stay-at-home-mom.

This week officially marked the end of my cuddly, needy toddler, and marked the beginning of my independent, willful toddler. And all I can think is, I’m going to miss this.

What stage do you miss the most? Baby? Toddler? Teenagers?

1 Charlotte March 12, 2010 at 6:55 am

I have always loved watching my kids learn to speak. To see the messed up conjugations showing he’s realized there are conjugations. Then they start to make sense and the pronouns show up. Then adjectives and adverbs begin to show up more regularly.

Anyway, this part of their growing never stops. They get better and better at communicating until one day you realize you’re having normal adult conversations and then they are interesting enough to keep up. (or at least that has been my experience so far- my oldest is only 13).
.-= Charlotte´s last blog ..Just call me Chicken Little. =-.

2 Allison March 12, 2010 at 12:45 pm

@Charlotte, I can’t wait until I start having conversations with my kiddo. Well, I can, I don’t want him to grow up that fast. But you know what I mean. :-)

3 Christine LaRocque March 12, 2010 at 10:20 am

That is simply beautiful. That you’ve recognized it and commemorated it here. It seems like the beginning of something wonderful because it is. I derive great pleasure from communicating with my pre-schooler and I’m amazed whenever we do! Enjoy.

P.S. I bet you’ll be surprised how many cuddles and loves you still get.
.-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..The Decision =-.

4 Allison March 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm

@Christine LaRocque, He’s taken to giving me kisses the last day or two. I don’t even have to ask for them, he just offers. It’s so cute. I guess the cuddles aren’t completely gone after all.

5 Brooke G. March 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Isn’t is great how each new phase brings sorrow AND excitement. For me, more sorrow than excitement, but still! Love your blog ;D
.-= Brooke G.´s last blog ..PAINT WITH ME =-.

6 Muthering Heights March 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Honestly, it’s difficult for me to miss any stage I have experienced so far…with my children being 3, 2, and eight months, I always have one in the stage his or her older sibling just moved out of! :)
.-= Muthering Heights´s last blog ..The Epitome Of Glamor =-.

7 Allison March 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm

@Muthering Heights, I bet that really keeps you on your toes. Not a dull moment in your house.

8 Doll Clothes Gal Pal March 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm

The greatest perk of being a stay at home mom, i think, is being able to watch your kids grow and share all their early memories with them. Imagine when they grow older and remember the kiddie stuff they were doing, there will always be “And mom was there!”. Happy Friday!!!
.-= Doll Clothes Gal Pal´s last blog ..Free Old Fashioned 18 Inch Doll Dress Pattern =-.

9 Allison March 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm

@Doll Clothes Gal Pal, That is exactly right!

10 SaraR March 13, 2010 at 11:46 am

Well, we’re not all that far into the adventure and we’re about to start at the beginning so I’ll get to do again what I’ve done before. Hum, but I guess it will be different this time around b/c we have 2 girls and this one’s a boy. Anyway, I miss the gummy grins when the teeth come in and I love the learning to speak stage when only I can understand what “bow” or “I e awww” means.

11 Allison March 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

@SaraR, I love when only I can understand what my kiddo is saying too. Make me feel like we have a really special connection. Good luck with the boy! They are tons of fun.

12 Doing the Mom Thing March 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm

What a special moment you were able to capture with The Kiddo. I love how you were able to capture the bittersweet way it seems we moms experience the growth of our little ones. Every new stage is exciting, but you don’t want them to come too fast.
.-= Doing the Mom Thing´s last blog ..Mailboxes, Rain & Birthdays =-.

13 Mommie Daze March 13, 2010 at 7:19 pm

It goes why too fast doesn’t it? I miss the cuddly stage with my five year old. He doesn’t just want to sit with me very often anymore.
.-= Mommie Daze´s last blog ..Mother of the Year Award =-.

14 Allison March 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

@Mommie Daze, It really does go to fast. Everyone says that, but you just don’t understand until you have kids.

15 Amy March 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I remember how long those first days felt and then I blinked…and my babies are venturing out of the nest a bit. Now I am scared what the heck I am going to do when they aren’t here anymore during the day. I am starting to find my own wings again, it is strange how you all start over again at each stage and think it will never end. I am scared to blink again :(
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Homemade Fruit Fun-Fetti Cupcakes With 7 Minute Frosting =-.

16 Allison March 22, 2010 at 7:05 pm

@Amy, It goes so fast! That’s something you don’t really understand until you are a parent. All of a sudden someone hit fast forward.