Overnight Slow Cooker Oatmeal

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on March 15, 2010

About a month and a half ago, I was inspired by Jenn at Frugal Upstate to try her recipe for overnight, slow cooker oatmeal. I’m not usually a huge oatmeal eater, but knowing that it’s so healthy, I thought I would give it a try. What’s the harm, right?

Well, I followed this recipe and as you can see from many of the comments, it just didn’t work. Mine ended up looking more like brown sugar water with a few oats floating in it, than oatmeal. I was able to salvage it, but cooking up 2 more cups of oatmeal and mixing it in. But over all, the recipe was kind of a disappointment, and just a little bit embarrassing for Jenn.

Jenn decided she needed to figure out what went wrong. So she started The Great Oatmeal Experiment and invited some bloggers to join her. I, of course, gladly accepted.

[singlepic id=252 w=450]

I started out with the same basic ingredients, in slightly different quantities.

[singlepic id=253 w=450]

Mixed everything together and let the slow cooker do it’s thing. And…

[singlepic id=255 w=450]

Tada! Tasty overnight oatmeal.

I proclaim this recipe a success. The oatmeal still has a fair amount of liquid in it (but not watery), so if you like yours a little dryer, you might want to increase the amount of oats you use by 1/2 cup. But otherwise, this was a very tasty way to start my Monday morning.

Overnight Slow Cooker Oatmeal

2 cup regular oats – NOT Quick Oats (add 1/2 cup more if you like dryer oatmeal)
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1  tablespoon butter
1/2  teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all of the ingredients in your slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with milk and cinnamon sugar.

This recipe is part of the Mouthwatering Monday Blog Carnival over at A Southern Fairytale. Stop by for more mouthwatering recipes.

{ 13 comments }

1 Jenn @ Frugal Upstate March 15, 2010 at 6:09 am

Yay!!! I’m so glad that this worked out for you now! I’ll be including your experience in my post this week :)
.-= Jenn @ Frugal Upstate´s last blog ..From the Frugal Upstate Vault =-.

2 Allison March 15, 2010 at 6:32 am

@Jenn @ Frugal Upstate, My 2 year old is inhaling it for breakfast too, so you know it must be good! Thanks for hosting the Great Oatmeal Experiment.

3 Jamie @ Love To Shop Mom March 15, 2010 at 11:36 am

OMG! My mouth is watering! I LOVE oatmeal and will be trying this recipe tonight! Thanks for sharing!
.-= Jamie @ Love To Shop Mom´s last blog ..Mommy and Me Monday =-.

4 LIberty March 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm

YUM! I’ve also tried this with milk – we have cows and at times an abundance of fresh milk – and it’s rockin’ either way!

5 Allison March 15, 2010 at 7:14 pm

@LIberty, This would be heavenly with fresh cows milk. Yum!

6 Lori March 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm

We are all oatmeal lovers. I’ll have to try this recipe, it looks so yummy.

7 Momisodes March 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I am not a huge oatmeal eater either, but this looks and sounds delicious! My daughter and husband love oatmeal. PErhaps I’ll have to make this for them :) Thanks for sharing!

8 Ginger @ Crock Pot Recipe Exchange October 11, 2010 at 8:04 am

OH.. this looks wonderful and delicious and …. well, comforting!

I would like to invite you to share this recipe at Slow Cooking Saturdays Recipe Swap…. the theme for this week is crock pot breakfast recipes. This would be a GREAT addition! You can link up here http://crockpotrecipeexchange.blogspot.com/2010/10/slow-cooking-saturdays-recipe-swap.html

Thanks in advance for sharing your wonderful oatmeal recipe with us…. I can’t wait to try it myself :)

Keep up the great work!

BTW: I found you through Mouthwatering Monday @ A Southern Fairytale

9 zeniada January 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

How do you keep it from burning? I made this last night and it was burnt to the sides I had to throw my old crock pot out I couldnt even clean it…I hope this wont happen to my new one..

10 Allison January 27, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Oh no! That happened with one of my crock pots the first time I made this recipe. I let it soak overnight, maybe even 24 hours and I was able to scrap it clean. I think that each slow cooker is different, my sister made this same recipe without any problem, while mine burned on the edges at first. You could try adding more liquid or decreasing the cooking time. I hope that helps.

11 Christina April 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Just wanted to know–would this recipe work with only milk? (As in, substitute all water for milk) Whenever I make porridge, I only use milk, so I’m not sure if this was a modification for slow cooking or if you just are used to cooking with water all the time. Thanks!

12 Allison April 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Good question Christina. I’ve never tried it that way, but I imagine that it would be fine. Let me know how it turns out.

13 Erica May 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

Loved making this recipe! I plan to make it again soon- so yummy!! :)

Comments on this entry are closed.