Graham Crackers

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on May 3, 2010

A while back, I was searching for the perfect graham cracker recipe. I love all things homemade. Especially the baked kind. :-).

I stumbled on a recipe by Martha Stewart. Oh. My. God. Sooooo good. The very first batch that I made disappeared in 3 days. No kidding.

As good as these were, they were a little on the sweet side. And kind of putzy to make. So I changed it up a bit. And I’m just as in love with the modified recipe as I was with the original. Actually, I’m probably more in love.

Not only are they delicious, but they are healthy. Well, healthier than store bought graham crackers anyway. Whole wheat flour and wheat germ make a sneak appearance. Plus there’s no corn syrup or ingredients that you can’t pronounce. In my book, that’s pretty healthy.

Plus, you can do so many variations with this recipe. The original honey graham crackers are fantastic. But the chocolate ones, well, those are just divine.

All you have to do is whisk the flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, salt, baking soda and cinnamon (and cocoa powder) in a bowl…(chocolate on left, honey on right)

[singlepic id=355 w=450]

Combine the butter, sugar and honey…

[singlepic id=356 w=450]

Mix until pale and fluffy…

[singlepic id=357 w=450]

Add the dry ingredients to the mix…

[singlepic id=358 w=450]

Mix on low until combined…(chocolate on left, honey on right)

[singlepic id=359 w=450]

Roll out on a baking stone (or parchment paper) until 1/8″ thick…

[singlepic id=360 w=450]

Cut into desired shapes (I like bit-sized pieces)…(chocolate on left, honey on right)

[singlepic id=361 w=450]

Bake until golden brown…(chocolate on left, honey on right)

[singlepic id=362 w=450]

Then try, just try, not to eat the entire batch in one day.

[singlepic id=363 w=450]

Graham Crackers

1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup untoasted wheat germ
optional: 1/2 cup cocoa powder – for chocolate crackers

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 350º.

In a small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.

On medium speed, mix the butter, sugar and honey until pale and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrap sides as needed.

Add the flour mixture, beating on low speed.

Roll dough out on a baking stone (or floured parchment paper) using a well floured rolling pin, until about 1/8″ thick. Hint, the dough is crumbly, it is much easier to cover it with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper when rolling out. Cut into desired size (cutting them after they bake actually works a little better than cutting before they bake).

Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes on stone or pan. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

This post is linked up to Mouthwatering Mondays, Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, and Tasty Tuesday.

{ 17 comments }

1 Christine LaRocque May 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm

It is amazing to me that you would even try this, let alone adapt it and make it better. I like to cook and bake, a lot, but I’m lost without a recipe. No creativity I suppose. I’ll definitely try this out!
.-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..I’m spoiled =-.

2 Kathleen May 3, 2010 at 3:41 pm

These look really yummy. I can’t wait to try your version!
.-= Kathleen´s last blog ..The Kimarita ! =-.

3 Muthering Heights May 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Yum, those look delicious!
.-= Muthering Heights´s last blog ..So Startling =-.

4 e-Mom May 3, 2010 at 8:17 pm

OK, I’m completely impressed. I’ve always loved Graham crackers, but I’ve never thought about making them from scratch. Awesome!

e-Mom @ Susannah’s {Kitchen} Aprons
.-= e-Mom´s last blog ..Potato Salad | Mitford Cookbook Recipe =-.

5 Joy @ Joy of Desserts May 4, 2010 at 2:40 am

Yea! No corn syrup! I’m 100% with you. :-)
.-= Joy @ Joy of Desserts´s last blog ..Huckleberry Jam Recipe, historical trivia =-.

6 Allison May 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

@Joy @ Joy of Desserts, They sneak that stuff in just about every food don’t they?

7 Charlotte May 4, 2010 at 5:20 am

It has never occurred to me to make graham crackers. I’m remembering this for the next time I’m feeling am inkling to try something completely homemade.
.-= Charlotte´s last blog ..Dead last in the 5K *Slightly Updated* =-.

8 Allison May 4, 2010 at 11:44 am

@Charlotte, They are SO good. Lots of butter, mmmmm.

9 SnoWhite May 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm

yea!!! I can’t wait to try these :)
.-= SnoWhite´s last blog ..Menu Plan – May 2 =-.

10 April Harris May 4, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Oh how fantastic! We can’t get graham crackers in England and I love them – and I can get all those ingredients! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

11 Allison May 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm

@April Harris, So glad I could help! Stop back and let me know how they turn out.

12 Krystyn May 4, 2010 at 7:42 pm

You will now see my baking novice when I say this…I didn’t even think that it would be possible to have homemade graham crackers. They look so tasty, too.

13 Tannis May 21, 2010 at 9:14 am

I love using wheat germ but haven’t been able to find it since moving to Spain. What kind of difference would it make if I left it out? We don’t have Graham Crackers here, so I know my daughter would love if I could make some.

14 Allison May 21, 2010 at 10:10 am

@Tannis, I think you could just replace the wheat germ with more whole wheat or white flour. Or if you can get it, white whole wheat flour would work too. Let me know how they turn out.

15 Heather September 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I just made these and am wondering if your 8-9 minutes shouldn’t be 18-19? After 9 minutes the majority of my dough was still REALLY soft. I googled other graham cracker recipes and they all state they should be baked somewhere between 15-25 minutes. In any case, my crackers have now been in there about 13 minutes and are still going…did I do something wrong?

16 Allison September 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Hi Heather, 8-9 minutes worked for me and my oven. I do let the crackers sit on the baking stone for a few minutes after, which helps them crisp up a little. They may not get as crispy at store-bought crackers. Keep experimenting with your oven, baking longer, letting the crackers sit on the pan to cool longer, maybe even increasing the oven temp a little. I hope you find something that works for you.

17 pure green coffee bean extract January 5, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
It is the little changes that make the biggest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

Comments on this entry are closed.