Chewy, No-Bake Granola Bars

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on August 9, 2010

[singlepic id=513 w=450]

It’s summer. It’s like a million degrees and 500% humidity.

And we don’t have air conditioning.We basically live back in the stone ages.

And yet, I still want to bake. Or at least create something to sooth my sweet tooth.

Without cracking open the bag of Peanut Butter M&M’s I’ve been holding hostage in my pantry for weeks now.

So instead, I went on a search for no-bake granola bars, and found this recipe from Rachel Ray. Love her or hate her, she makes some pretty tasty food.

And then, I modified the recipe to suit my tastes, and what I had available at the time.

They are, of course, to dye for.

If they weren’t, I would be sharing them, no would I?

Chewy, No-Bake Granola Bars

• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2-1/2 cups oats or leftover granola
  • 1/2 cup total of the following ingredients: wheat germ {about 1/4 cup}, ground flax seeds {about 2 tablespoons} and whole flax seeds {about 2 tablespoons}. Or substitute with more oatmeal, rice cereal nuts.
  • 1/2 cup Crasins
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  1. In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the honey and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, to the saucepan and fold the ingredients to evenly coat with the sauce. Transfer the granola mixture to a 9-by-13-inch ungreased baking pan and press firmly to evenly fill. Gently press the chocolate chips onto the top of the granola. Let the granola mixture set in the fridge until firm, about 15 minutes, then cut into 2-1/4-by 3-inch bars.
  3. Store in the fridge.

Meal Plan

Toddler Lunches

Monday: Peanut butter and banana grilled sandwiches (Wholesome Toddler Food)
Tuesday: Cheesy veggie (corn and peas) quesadilla
Wednesday: Pitas stuffed with peanut butter and jelly. Side of yogurt.
Thursday: Bagels with cream cheese and jelly. Side of sliced apples.
Friday: Hummus pizza. Side of carrots. (AllRecipes.com)
Saturday: Chicken Nuggets. Side of peas and corn.
Sunday: Leftovers

Dinner

Monday: Slow cooker taco soup
Tuesday: French toast casserole
Wednesday: BLT’s
Thursday: Egg bake, my grandma’s recipe
Friday: Pizza with my beer batter pizza dough and homemade sauce (AllRecipes.com)
Saturday: Leftovers
Sunday: Turkey tenderloin on the grill with fresh veggies

I’ll also be putting together some of my Super Energy Granola Bars, Crackers and Graham Crackers, and Wheat Germ, Flax Seed Bread.

———————————–

What is your favorite, no-bake snack? Leave a link if you have a recipe.

———————————–

This post is proudly linked up to Mouthwatering Mondays, Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party and What’s On the Menu Wednesday.

{ 35 comments }

1 Jessica August 9, 2010 at 7:18 am

I am not ashamed to admit that I was salivating as I read the recipe! Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to give it a try!
-Jessica

2 Allison August 9, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Salivating means I’ve done my job. Yes!

3 TheKitchenWitch August 9, 2010 at 7:31 am

You had me at no-bake. You know that, right? These sound like the perfect portable snack for lunch box season…which is coming up with frightening speed.

4 Allison August 9, 2010 at 11:13 pm

It is, isn’t it. These would be the perfect snack.

Glad you stopped by.

5 Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 9, 2010 at 9:07 am

I love that you share toddler lunches. But…I can’t quite get past the fact that you don’t have A/C?!?!?

6 Allison August 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Yea. Old house. We have window A/C units, but never bothered to install them. Really regretting that decision this week.

7 ToyLady August 9, 2010 at 10:40 am

Perfect! I’ve been wanting a granola bar that uses actual granola! I haven’t had time to putter around with anything I’ve got that starts with plain oatmeal. . . and I just made granola this weekend, too! Thank you!

8 Allison August 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Hey, let me know how they turn out. I love getting feedback and suggestions.

9 Justine August 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

No bake for this weather? Ingenius! Love it.

10 Danelle August 10, 2010 at 1:01 am

If it wasn’t so late, I would make these right now! They look fabulous.

11 Allison August 11, 2010 at 9:54 pm

It’s never too late! I made them at 9:30 the other night. They were ready for a quick snack right before bedtime. Or at least the time that I should have been going to bed.

12 Barbie & Joelle @ Sugar and Spice Frugal Advice August 10, 2010 at 7:36 am

These look sooo yummy (and healthy,too!) I am going to add some peanut butter to mine!

13 Allison August 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm

That would be yummy! I do have another granola bar recipe that uses TONS of peanut butter. It’s on my recipe page if you are interested.

14 Andrea August 10, 2010 at 7:52 am

No bake is right up my alley!

15 Domestic Nerd August 10, 2010 at 8:34 am

I just started making my own granola bars too…my son loves them and always asks for them as his snack so I had to find a homemade version that he would eat. He likes the recipe I use, but I’ll have to try your recipe to see which he likes better.

I like the recipe for your super energy granola bars too!

I’m a new follower from TMTT :)

16 Allison August 11, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Aren’t they so much better than store bought? I mean like a million times better. I’ll be over to check out your recipe soon.

17 SnoWhite August 10, 2010 at 8:46 am

oh — without the nuts, I’m betting we’d love these! thanks.

18 Allison August 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

You could easily add more oatmeal. Or dried fruit. Or chocolate. Especially the chocolate.

19 Brenda August 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I like your choice of ingredients. I need to start making these,so healthy.

20 Allison August 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Let me know what you think of them, and how you modify the recipe if you do.

21 Sherry August 10, 2010 at 7:00 pm

This sounds delish! I’m totally copying this recipe for future use. 😀

22 Allison August 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Copy away! It’s free for all to use. :-)

23 The Jesse August 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

these look quick, easy & tasty. i am going to make them today for snacks this week! i found your post from http://www.findingjoyinmykitchen.com :)

24 Allison August 19, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know how they turn out.

25 shorty August 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm

This might sounds silly but do you put 1/2 cup each of the wheat germ, ground flax seeds and whole flax seeds or a combo of the three to make 1/2 cup? I have tried several bars and have failed miserably so I would LOVE to try this one! Thanks so much!
shorty

26 Allison August 19, 2010 at 7:41 pm

That’s a really good question. It’s 1/2 cup total of those three ingredients. Approximately 1/4 cup wheat germ, 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds and 2 tablespoons whole flax seeds. But you can do more of less of any, as long as the total adds up to 1/2 cup.

P.S. I’m updating the recipe to reflect your question.

27 referring page December 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

He may have told you why or he could have given you some lame excuse that has left you dumbfounded and frustrated.
Keep on top of your game and strive to improve, rather than expecting the same approach
you’ve adopted in the past is always going to see you through.

Hindu believers performing a stunt during a rehearsal for the 134th annual Rath Yatra, or chariot procession in the western Indian
city of Ahmedabad on June 28.

28 nauka tańca warszawa January 28, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular
post! It’s the little changes that make the largest changes.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

29 assassin's creed pobierz February 9, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Thank you for
supplying this info.

30 pokemon x et y rom nds March 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering problems with your website.
It appears as though some of the written text in your content are
running off the screen. Can somebody else please
provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them
as well? This may be a issue with my internet browser because
I’ve had this happen previously. Thank you

31 agen ibcbet April 16, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I love looking through an article that can make people
think. Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

32 dj na wesele Kielce May 15, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Useful information. Fortunate me I found your site by
accident, and I’m shocked why this coincidence did not took place in advance!
I bookmarked it.

33 bouncy castle rental July 11, 2014 at 1:44 am

Hello this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if
you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding
experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

34 godcanstore.com July 12, 2014 at 4:38 am

My brother suggested I might like this web site.
He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.
You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

35 Www.ask.Com August 23, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my
blog stand out. Please let me know where
you got your design. Kudos

Comments on this entry are closed.