Virtual Coffee

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on October 4, 2010

Some how the weekend zipped by and we’re back here again. Tuesday. {virtual} coffee day. Which is fast becoming one of my favorite days of the week.

Coffee on a Crisp Fall Day

As the leaves turn brilliant shades of red, orange and yellow, dancing softly in the sky, I’m comforted by a HUGE cup of coffee. Just black coffee. Nothing fancy. The leaves are enough to dress it up today.

Autumn Beauty

If we were having coffee today, I’d tell you all our about trip to the apple orchard last week. Five moms. Six kids. A goat. Old tractors turned into playgrounds for eager little hands and feet. We spent two hours together, and wrapped up the morning with homemade goodies from the bakery. And to-die-for honey crisp apples.

_MG_1954

I’d tell that I’m settling back into life with Dad-oo at home. More than settling, I’m loving it. Being together as a family again has done more for my heart and soul than I ever imagined.

I would admit that we celebrated Dad-oo’s birthday with Jimmy John’s and ice cream. Per his request. Funny how once you reach a certain age, birthday’s aren’t fun anymore. In our house, we call them celebration of us days. So actually, we Celebrated Dad-oo last week. Oh, and there was candy.

I’d share our wonderful afternoon at the park, me snapping away while Dad-oo and the kiddo played baseball. This kid, I tell ya, he’s going to be in every sport possible.

He'll Be an All Star One Day

Warming our hands around our cups, I’d confide that I’m finally starting to find myself again. Not my mommy self, but my adult self. The part of me that was lost when I became a stay-at-home mom. It’s a wonderful and uplifting feeling.

And when you amaze about how much I’m able to get done, and wonder how I possibly do it all, I’d assure you that I don’t do it all. My house is seldom clean or picked up. There’s dog hair everywhere. The dishwasher needs to be emptied. Dishes piling up in the sink. Piles amongst piles of laundry waiting for someone to wash or fold. I don’t do it all. I set aside some of the household chores to do what I enjoy, this blog. Because I can’t be a mommy and housewife 24/7. I just can’t.

Before we part ways for the week, I’d ask how your weekend was. Have your kids picked out Halloween costumes yet? Have you? What have you done to spoil yourself lately. Because you deserve to be spoiled. You do!

When our time is up, too short as always, we’ll hug and vow to be in touch more often. And we’ll try. But life has a way of getting out of control and before we know it, six months have passed. But we’ll always have {virtual} coffee on Tuesdays. Can’t wait to see you next week.

If we were having coffee today, what would you tell me?

join me for coffee!

{ 21 comments }

1 Kiyah October 5, 2010 at 4:34 am

Dear Ali-
I recently stumbled across your blog and this post. It couldn’t have come at a better time. I am nearly finished with 10 months living in Arusha, Tanzania with my husband and 18 month old daughter. One of the things I have missed most about living here is having coffee with friends; enter your blog.

If we were having coffee today I would want to tell you about how I am struggling to come to terms with my seemingly contradictory emotions over leaving Africa in two weeks. On the one hand I am SO excited for reliable electricity, paved roads, coffee shops and Whole Foods, quinoa and almond butter, and witnessing my parents experience their granddaughter for the first time in nearly a year. Each day I grow increasingly tired of the dirt and grit, the tedium of having to drive *everywhere* to get *anything* and of not being able to just step out my door with the jogger and run.

On the other hand, I am heart sick over leaving some of the friends I’ve made here, worried that I will forget how absolutely present you have to be and how absolutely alive you feel in the city, and sad at the loss of adventure we have had and can easily have (next week we take a bush plain to the middle of the Serengeti and have 3 nights at a roaming tented camp). I have been known to lament all that is required of me here: I am often a single mom (when dad’s away for work), I do all the meal planning and shopping, I keep the house clean, bills paid, child happy, and I have a full time job back in the US which I do remotely. However secretly, I sometimes wear these things like a badge, like “look at me, I can get all this done…*while* living in Africa.”

And then, just when I start to feel my hear rate increase and my temperature rise I stop and take a close look at what’s around me and feel confident that this experience, these people, will be a part of forever. And that is comforting.

Thanks for the coffee. It was delicious…and cathartic. Wonder if Starbucks could use that as a selling point?
-kjd

2 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Wow, living in Africa for almost a year? I bet you have powerful stories to tell. What an experience. If we were having coffee I’d ask you to tell me all about it.

3 abby October 5, 2010 at 8:06 am

so happy to sip coffee with you today.
i’ve been looking forward to it since last week when i stumbled on this.
what a wonderful break to just sit and talk to a new friend.
have a great week, alli!

abby

4 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for stopping by again Abby! It’ so nice to see a friendly face at the coffee shop. 😉

5 Justine October 5, 2010 at 8:10 am

Allison – I love this virtual coffee series. The fact that I’m actually having coffee myself while reading this makes me feel like I’m right next to you!

And costumes? Geez. I haven’t even come close to thinking about it. Perhaps I should.

You’re right, when you’re older, birthdays suddenly aren’t that big a deal and it doesn’t always have to be accompanied by pomp and circumstance as long as you’re surrounded by family. The older we get, the more we realize that in life, it’s the little things that really matter. And our family’s the biggest little thing that makes us happy :)

Great having coffee with you this a.m.

6 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I was sipping coffee this morning too, trying to get caught up before the day began. I didn’t.

I’m having a blast with this series. Who knew?

7 TheKitchenWitch October 5, 2010 at 9:02 am

It’s funny, just this morning I told the girls that by day’s end, they need to COMMIT to their Halloween costumes because they change their mind every day! It’s making me batty! I’ll probably just be a Kitchen Witch this year 😉

Loved the pic of your son–look at that one-handed swing!

8 Brooke October 5, 2010 at 9:43 am

While you are snuggling with your huge cup of black coffee, I am embracing my quad venti pumpkin spice white chocolate mocha and savoring every sip. I’d tell you that it was a hellish weekend and I think I deserve to splurge.

But first I’d ask you to elaborate on the apple orchard. I had been wanting to go there with my daughter but things always kept getting in the way (we live in Wausau). Is kiddo really hitting some balls with that bat? That’s pretty incredible! I admire that you’ve found some peace with yourself and I really wish I could let things like house work just go. I stress myself out far too much about housework- and it’s never completed, there are always messes. I care too much about what people think of my messy home when they come over. Just as I start to relax a little about my chaotic house and vow that having fun with my girl trumps all, my father will come over and make a comment on the cleanliness of my home (as if he cleans more than once a month!). I need to just let things go. I need to just find that peace, focus on what’s important and let everything else just disappear, or become blurred- like if I were to keep the aperture wide open with a follow focus on my daughter’s face using my mother’s Nikon with a wide angle Tamron lens… or use my wide angle lens on my Z1U while capturing her rendition of “Porcupine Racetrack.” (see original here http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/375229/porcupine-racetrack.jhtml#id=1614234 )

I’d also tell you I need to take better care of myself. This past week I hadn’t been getting much sleep and my daughter woke me up so early on Saturday. I was in the worst of moods. It’s one of the worst days that I’ve had in a very long time. My day was planned out for me and I wasn’t looking forward to it. I had to be around the house at 10:00 for someone to come by and pick up my camera then I needed to rush to the store but be back in time to get ready to watch my friend’s niece at 11:30 and I had so many people calling asking for me to help them with this or that- and I never want to say ‘no’ to them but I had to. And it’s OK to say ‘no’ to people who ask favors of me and I need to get over the feeling that I’m letting them down if I can’t- or just don’t want to. I had a meltdown at about 11:15 am. I was trying to fold a paper bag outwards for a new trash bag under my sink and it tore. I ran to the bathroom upstairs and closed the door (my daughter was still home and my boyfriend was watching her) and had an epic meltdown. First yelling, then crying. I took a shower to wash it all away and eventually was able to nap later in the day. I’ve never in my life felt so refreshed from a nap as I did that day.

Then I’d give a great big hug and thank you for listening. I’d vow to have a better week and weekend. With a smile I’d tell you that my girl will be a dragon for Halloween, it’s her favorite ‘animal’. I remember you saying that kiddo would be going as a player for the Packers and tell you that my girl would be excited if she saw him, she loves football.

Until next week!

9 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I love Pumpkin Spice Mochas! Alister Deacons by any chance?

A good nap is the perfect way to refresh and start over after a morning like that. I’ve been there. Days like that are brutal.

The apple orchard was awesome! So much fun and really yummy treats. I’ll email you with the details.

10 lisa October 5, 2010 at 9:53 am

I came to sip some virtual coffee pumpkin latte if you have it.. but I just started medifast… “diet’ and I can’t have real coffee.. I found your blog.. from the quack tribe… I like your photos.. my son is going to be a turtle for halloween.. if I get making the costume… nice to meet you…

11 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:40 pm

No real coffee? What kind of diet is this? I think that I would die.

Thanks for stopping by. Quack!

12 Jess@Straight Talk October 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

I’d tell you fluff. I’m getting my hair cut today. And so is Ava. And the purse I ordered off Amazon arrives. And tomorrow? I leave for the Fair for work and I plan to eat my weight in fried food this week. And it’s gonna be divine.

LOVE the pics.

13 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hair cut days are some of my favorite days of the week. I swear, I feel like a new person after.

Mmmmm, fried food. :-)

14 Virginia October 5, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Oh my goodness, I also can not be a mom/housewife 24/7. I go absolutely insane when I even try. I’m so glad you’re finding your adult you again! It’s so important not to lose her entirely. She’s most important, you know.

I enjoyed coffee with you today!

15 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:42 pm

She IS most important. If I’m not happy, no one in the house is happy. I’m controlling like that 😉

16 Beka October 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Awww, you’ve got a cutie pie:)
Apple crisp! Mmmmm:)

I like simple with my coffee, too.
Sometimes black, sometimes with a bit of milk.

17 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Love black coffee too. Although this time of year I splurge for a Pumpkin Spice latte. And I can’t live without a Peppermint Mocha at Christmas. Mmmmm, now I’m craving one.

18 Doing the Mom Thing October 5, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I absolutely love this idea and this post. It sounds like things are going well for you lately and I’m so glad to hear that you’re finding your whole self again. :) I’m quickly learning in my new adventures as a SAHM how easy it is to lose touch with her. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing pics too!

19 Allison October 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm

It is SO easy. I hope that you don’t lose touch with your whole self. It’s hard to find her again.

20 Corinne October 5, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I love that apple barn :) So picturesque!

21 kelly October 6, 2010 at 8:43 am

It’s so easy to get lost in mommyhood, and maintaining your ‘other’ self is sooo important! Nice having coffee with you. See you next week.

Comments on this entry are closed.