Pumpkin Pie Waffles

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on October 24, 2010

Are you ready for this? Week four in my month of pumpkin recipes. This recipe is going to knock you socks off.

Literally.

OK, not literally. Did you know that I despise people using that word incorrectly? Or over using it? Now you know.

When I was looking for my last pumpkin recipe to share I knew it had to be a breakfast food. Or brinner. Which is really the same food, just served at different times of the day. So either way, I win. Because I love breakfast, especially of the pancake and waffle variety.

So today, I present to you pumpkin waffles. My final pumpkin recipe, since October is almost over.

Just kidding. I couldn’t end this series without pumpkin pie. And pumpkin pancakes. And…and…I don’t know, but I have a LOT of canned pumpkin to use up. I may be responsible for the pumpkin shortage of 2010.

Sorry about that.

Anyway, this recipe is sort of a labor of love. It has steps. Like multiple steps. Including things like:

Mixing, stirring and whisking

Mix, Stir and Whisk

Stirring, folding and licking {the spoon}

Stir, Fold and Done

And finally, the best part of all, enjoying a hot, crispy and light waffle.

Pumpkin Pancakes

Smothered in syrup, sprinkled with brown sugar, or topped with whip cream. If you’re into that sort of thing.

Pumpkin Pie Waffles

Adapted from AllRecipes.com
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 4 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted (or canola oil)

Preheat a waffle iron to medium high.

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.

In a large bowl, stir together the pumpkin, milk, and egg yolks.

In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites. THIS IS IMPORTANT: for fluffy, light waffles the eggs must be beaten until soft peaks are formed {see the above pic}. This took about 10 minutes on high speed for me.

Add the flour mixture and 1/4 cup melted butter (or canola oil) to the pumpkin mixture, stirring just to combine. Use a whisk or rubber spatula to fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, stirring gently until incorporated. Fold in the remaining egg whites.

Pour 1/3 cup batter on the waffle iron. Bake waffles until golden brown, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Top with your favorite maple syrup. Or simply sprinkle with brown sugar. And try to eat just one.

Meal Plan

Dinner

Monday: Leftover Penne Rosa al Rosmarino (Penne with creamy rosemary sauce)
Tuesday:
Black bean and chicken nachos
Wednesday:
Chicken Enchilada Soup (AllRecipes.com)
Thursday: Slow Cooker Chicken Chow Mein (Betty Crocker) and Crab Rangoon
Friday: Homemade pizza on beer battered crust and homemade sauce. {AllRecipes.com}
Saturday: Leftover pizza
Sunday: Pumpkin pancakes

Snacks

———————————–

What is your favorite pumpkin recipe?

———————————–

This post is proudly linked up to Mouthwatering Mondays, Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, My Sweet and Savory.

1 Rebecca October 24, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I love, love, love pumpkin! I just made a birthday cake last night and added pumpkin, and it was so good. I will definitely have to try these. Thanks for sharing.
Rebecca

2 Allison October 24, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Pumpkin in a cake? That sounds wonderful. Did you make the cake from scratch or use a box? How much pumpkin did you add?

3 Annika October 25, 2010 at 8:09 am

The waffles look fantastic! We love pumpkin around here and our pie pumpkins did great this year, so we have oodles of pumpkin to use! Thanks for the recipe :)

4 Lora @ my blessed life October 25, 2010 at 8:33 am

Mmm…these look so good! I love pumpkin, too. My fave pumpkin recipe that I’ve made so far is my cream cheese pumpkin bread.

5 Allison October 28, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Oh my, cream cheese pumpkin bread? That sounds amazing!

6 Joan J October 25, 2010 at 9:11 am

I’ve enjoyed looking through your pumpkin recipes, and the Turkey Pumpkin Chili looks like a winner. I’ll be trying that one next week when I cut up the pumpkins on the porch to freeze pumpkin puree. Thanks for sharing!

7 Allison October 28, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’ve heard from a lot of people that the pumpkin chili was a hit at their house. I’d love to hear what you think of it.

8 TheKitchenWitch October 25, 2010 at 9:45 am

I’m a pumpkin bread person, myself. I’m too lazy to make anything with beaten egg whites, but your waffles sound worth it!

9 Allison October 28, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I haven’t made pumpkin bread yet, but I need to. Have you posted a recipe?

10 Justine October 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Ooooh this looks divine. My honey made me waffles this weekend – I wonder if I can convince him to make this recipe the next time instead…

11 Allison October 28, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Ohhhh, I need to convince my hubby to make them for me next time too.

12 Ask Ms Recipe October 25, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Looking for some good meal ideas. Happy Menu planning. Have a great week.

Nina (Author)

13 Minnesota Mamaleh October 25, 2010 at 11:38 pm

serious YUM! thanks so much for the recipe! my little ones and husband are HUGE waffle fans so i know that this will go over so very well!

as for my favorite pumpkin recipes, i have two! the first is an easy snack for kids– 1 box chocolate cake mix and 1 large can pumpkin baked into little mini muffins. i know, i know, the chocolate! the sugar! but seriously– the pumpkin! the cute factor! :)

and the second is a turkey, wild rice pumpkin soup that is simply divine. i think it’s billed as an after-hanksgiving leftover meal? anyway, DELISH!

okay, then long enough comment for you?! love the pics & so happy to have found your site today! :)

14 Allison October 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Oh yum, both of those recipes sound fantastic. Especially the “muffins” because I’m a sucker for anything chocolate.

15 Chaya October 26, 2010 at 10:29 am

When, I see a p hoto like yours, I know, I should replace my waffle iron. Pumpkin in waffles is a winning combination. I am thrilled you incluced this in the link at My Meatless Mondays. I am betting those waffle iron owners are eating pumpkin waffles now.

16 Allison October 28, 2010 at 6:18 pm

You are right, a good waffle iron is important. Better yet, a Belgium waffle maker. One day I’ll get my hands on one.

17 Chaya October 26, 2010 at 10:31 am

Did my comment disappear?

18 Lisa October 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Am I into this sort of thing? You better believe it. I’m always up for anything and everything pumpkiny. If you would like to try another pumpkin recipe, I just made these delicious pumpkin blondies. Come and check it out if you have a chance – http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-blondies-by-accident.html.

19 Allison October 28, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Mmmmmmm, those sound fantastic. I know what I’m doing this weekend.

20 Brenda October 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

This would be a great fall breakfast!

21 Katie @ This Chick Cooks October 27, 2010 at 8:00 pm

These sound so delicious! I want to give these a try.

22 Jess@Straight Talk October 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Oh my goodness. you’ve inspired me to dig through the garage to find my waffle maker.