Sweet Tooth Friday: Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on February 10, 2011

It’s Sweet Tooth Friday time again! My absolutely favorite time of the week. Because I love baking and I love sharing.

One of my most favorite things, ever, is spicy chocolate. Sometimes called Mexican chocolate. It has a dash of cinnamon and a hint of pepper. Not enough to light your mouth on fire, but just a touch to give you some kick. I know, I know, it sounds kind of weird. But it’s not. Or at least it’s weirdly awesome.

Chopped Chocolate and Cayene Pepper

A couple of weeks ago a friend was telling me how she once tried some Mexican cookies and they were terrible. Her mouth literally caught on fire after one bit. Okay, that didn’t actually happen. But she said that’s what it felt like. How could you do that to a cookie? Sweet goodness that it is. So of course I set out to find a spicy sweet cookie that was a million times better.

And I did. And she loved them. And so do I. Dare I say this is my new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe?

There is a secret behind these cookies. And no, it’s not the spice, that just makes them super-duper special. It’s making the dough and letting it sit for at least 8 hours in the fridge. These cookies really need a chance for the flavors to get to know each other, have a couple of dates and then decide to go all the way. You know, just like everything in life.

Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

So you have to make this dough ahead of time. Let it chill and do it’s thing. And there will be magic. Oh yes, there will be magic.

Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or finely chopped dark chocolate

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cayenne, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

Mix the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add milk and vanilla, blend well. Add egg and mix well. On low speed add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.

Turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape it into a log about 12 inches long and 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap tight. {You can totally skip forming it into a log. Just place covered cookie dough in the fridge and form into balls later.} Place in the refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour but preferably 8 hours.

Preheat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in the middle. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and form into 1/2″ to 1″ sized balls. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden brown on the bottom, about 12-14 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack and drink with a giant glass of milk. As all good cookies should be consumed with.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your post, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog an/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!

This post is proudly linked up to Mouthwatering Mondays, Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, My Sweet and Savory, What’s Cooking Wednesday, It’s a Keeper Thursdays, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Friday Firsts, Food on Fridays, I’m Loving It, Sweets for a Saturday.

1 Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect February 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Huh. I’ve never had spicy chocolate! I’m bookmarking this to try this recipe!!

2 Allison February 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I hope you do!

P.S. The linky is up now, if you wanted to link up your pudding recipe.

3 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) February 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Hi Alli! Thanks for inviting me to share my Lemon Curd Thumbprint Cookie recipe! I also posted a new recipe on my blog for Raspberry Curd- both are intense flavored and incredible!
Thanks for hosting!

4 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for linking up! Your new recipe sounds wonderful.

5 Priyanka February 10, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Am a new follower to ur site and I just loved it :)

6 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies February 11, 2011 at 12:25 am

Yum, I’m always looking for ways to spice things up. These sound like a great addition to chocolate chip cookies.

7 Sense of Home February 11, 2011 at 7:26 am

Thanks for hosting, I brought some chocolate cherry cookies to the party.

-Brenda

8 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Mmmm, cookies are always welcome at my party!

9 Lisa February 11, 2011 at 7:33 am

These look delicious and this is something new to me. I can’t wait to try the recipe!

10 Debbi Does Dinner Healthy February 11, 2011 at 7:49 am

The cookies look great, thanks!

11 Shelia February 11, 2011 at 8:14 am

Hi Allison and thank you for popping in to see me and I’ve just linked up with your Sweet Tooth Friday.
Be a sweetie and I hope you’ll come back for another visit sometimes.
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

12 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for linking up. I hope you’ll stop by again this week.

13 Dumb Mom February 11, 2011 at 9:50 am

Okay these look so stinking delicious that I can’t even thing about Wordful Wednesday. And, now, I might be using my “vacation” to go to the store, buy cayenne pepper, and bake cookies!

14 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:08 pm

So, did you make them? I totally wouldn’t feel bad if you used your vacation for that either.

15 KLZ February 11, 2011 at 10:09 am

Recipe posts always make me hungry and wish I had someone else to cook for me. Like, say, you.

I’m so lazy.

16 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm

If you make it to Bloggy Boot Camp maybe I’ll bring some goodies with me!

17 The Mixing Bowl Diary February 11, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thanks for letting me know about your Sweet Tooth Friday link up!!! Your spicy choc. cookies sound yummy!

18 Pat February 11, 2011 at 11:31 am

LOVE Mexican chocolate! I will definitely be making these. I also linked up ~

Thanks so much for sharing!
Pat

19 LIB February 11, 2011 at 11:48 am

Thanks for the comment @16balls! and the invite ot link up – cannot wait to convert these cookies into a GF masterpiece! I *sometimes* add cayenne to the hot chocolate – they never even know…
Blessings!

20 Kankana February 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hey Ali, thanks a ton for inviting me to this treat . I liked my white chocolate cake .. but i can’t see it now .. not sure what happened :(

21 Kankana February 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm

yeah yeah now i see it :)

22 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I’m glad it showed up. Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see you again next week.

23 Michelle @onandoffmyplate February 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Spicy + chocolate = LUST! Can’t wait to try these.

24 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I hope you do. Stop by and let me know how they turn out.

25 bj February 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm

OOO, I love this meme. I just this minute found out about it and I make SWEETS
ALL THE TIME..;))
I am making these cookies for my home fellowship group on Sunday night. Are they HOT??
I’ll come back next week to link with you.
I am also linking up to follow..so you gotta come over to see me. :) )
xo bj

26 Allison February 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Yea, I can’t wait for you to link up!

The cookies aren’t HOT, they just have a little kick to them. I don’t think it would bother even the most sensitive person. Let me know how they go.

27 Corrine February 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Those cookies look divine, my husband would love them! I always let my cookie dough chill for at least 8 hours too, I find it makes for a much chewier cookie (something about relaxing the gluten I think) :)
I linked up my Vanilla Cake Pops, Vanilla Buttermilk Waffles, and Banana Whoopie Pies.

28 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for sharing all of your yummy recipes. I hope to see you again this week.

29 Brenda February 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog today Alli and inviting me to your link-up! I linked up my perfect party cake but it’s not showing yet…..I guess it takes a few minutes? I’ll keep checking! I’ve never had Mexican chocolate before, I’d love to try it. Your cookies look delicious! Thanks for hosting.

30 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Yes, I believe it does take a few minutes to show up. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

31 e-Mom February 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Hi! I tried to link up twice, but I don’t see it. Maybe it takes some time?

Please delete one if they both appear in a few minutes.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

e-Mom @ Susannah’s {Kitchen}

P.S. If neither appear, here’s the link, thanks: http://www.susannahskitchen.com/2011/02/how-to-bake-authentic-red-velvet-cake.html

32 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Yes, it does take a few minutes. I’ve had a lot of questions about that, I may need to switch to a different linky system.

33 Treat and Trick February 12, 2011 at 4:31 am

Thanks for the invite dear. Have linked mine for this party. Happy hosting!

34 Catalina February 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

I just love the way your cookies look like – so thick and full of chocolate! Mine I usually quite flat, so I’ll try chilling the dough, too, and the addition of spices must be truly heavenly :) Thank you for inspiration and I’ll definitely try out these cookies :)

35 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Another hint to keep the cookies from flattening is to make sure that the butter is not too soft. It shouldn’t be melted at all. I try to leave my butter sitting on the counter for a few hours, or even over night, to get the best consistency.

36 Susan February 12, 2011 at 10:53 am

Sorry, I’m a little late! Looks like some delicious sweets here!

Thanks for your visit! I see you are a Wisconsin blogger too!

37 Allison February 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you’ll join in again this week.

38 Suzy February 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Hi! Sorry it took me so long to link up but thanks for the invite to do so. I will remember to visit on Fridays and join when I can. The cookies look awesome!

39 Cath February 20, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Only just saw this post – thankyou! I just found the perfect recipe to make for my BFF’s husband’s birthday next month!

40 betsy February 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm

oh..yum…and this looks like fun! I can’t figure out where to link up though! duh..I’m sure it’s just me. If I can’t find it, I’ll try again next friday. thanks for inviting me! :)

41 Jen March 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

These look so delicious! I JUST popped the dough into the fridge, and I’m so excited to begin baking them tomorrow! I also dumped a little extra pepper in there… I love spicy! :) I can’t wait to eat these. Thanks for posting!

By the way, I make snickerdoodles at home, and when I try to make them larger (and squish them a little), they sometimes burn on the outside. I’ve tried making them flatter and lowering the oven temperature. Do you know how I can make giant cookies (bigger diameters) without burning cookies?

42 mountain States health alliance employment August 24, 2014 at 4:17 am

Theyy carry the virus and can infect others through out their lives.

It gets worse when you are identified as having a hepatitis C.
Unwilling to let this disease control me and dissatisfied while using results
of interferon treatment, I began find alternate
ways to treat my HCV.

43 recumbant bike September 27, 2014 at 11:12 am

Hiya very cool web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb ..
I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?
I’m happy to seek out a lot of helpful info right here in the submit, we need work out more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing.
. . . . .