{virtual} coffee

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on February 21, 2011

Oh man, it’s {virtual} coffee time or tea time if you prefer. And after the insane amounts of snow we got on Sunday and Monday, I need it. I think I’m in the mood for…I don’t know. But it’s going to be rich and creamy and sugary. Just what you want in a decadent coffee drink.

Carmely, Creamy Coffee Goodness

First off, last week I was bragging about the unseasonably warm temperature we were having. The snow was melting. The grass was showing through. Dare I saw that there was even more grass than snow? Well, apparently Mother Nature heard me and didn’t like my attitude. Because she dumped at least 9 inches {and counting} of snow on us. And now, it’s cold.

To anyone who also got hit by this storm, I’m sorry. It was all my fault.

Winter Grass

The only up side to the snow is that I was forced to stay inside all day. And bake. Yes I was forced to bake. You see, for Valentine’s Day Hubs took me baking supply shopping. Romantic, right? Really though, it was because I got to pick out whatever I wanted. Which included new cookie sheets, a French bread pan, cookie cutters and a donut pan. Jealous?

So I spent Sunday making bread. 5 loaves to be exact. It was my first attempt at French bread, and let me tell you, starting out with the most complicated recipe you can find, isn’t the best idea. In the end, after at least 7 hours time, the bread looked nothing like it was supposed to. But, it did taste pretty terrific.

French Bread

No, that isn’t the bread I made. I wish. That’s the bread I was trying to copy from a French bakery in Seattle. I have a long ways to go before I reach this perfection.

It’s amazing that I didn’t also make 15 batches of baked donuts and like a million batches of cookies. I did manage to show some restraints. Plus, I discovered that being on my feet all morning and afternoon long, doesn’t do a pregnant belly any good. Once I did eventually sit down, I didn’t get back up.

No worries though, there will be time for baking. Oh yes, there will be time.

Oh, I have news! We decided to officially list our house with a Realtor. Again. We had it listed last year, with zero luck. Decided to try it ourselves over the winter, with zero luck. And now we’ve moved on to a new Realtor. One that we trust and are excited about. While I’m super excited about the changes it will bring, the packing it will involve and the journey to finding the next perfect house, I’m also torn by all of these same things. There will be some big changes coming. Which is good. But scary none-the-less.

Before I think about it too deeply and get all sad and melancholy, let’s change the subject. I have another ultra sound today! It’s the “big one” but since we already know our little bundle of joy is, some of the excitement is missing. Not a lot, but some. This time around the entire family is going to be there. I can’t wait for the kiddo to see his brother on the screen. So exciting! Yes, I promise to post pics of the ultra sound. And yes I promise to post another belly pic. Soon. Patience.

And with that, I’ll turn the tables over to you. I’d love to hear about your weekend and your plans for this week. Did you get hit by that nasty snow storm too? Are you as ready for Spring as I am? Have you baked up any yummy goodies lately?

{ 14 comments }

1 30ish Mama February 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I love that your Valentine’s gift is something that you can all enjoy, it is a great family idea! Good luck with your house and in finding your next one. We are thinking about doing the same and I know how exciting and oddly frustrating it can be.

2 Corinne February 22, 2011 at 7:31 am

You are brave, I haven’t tried french bread (though I would love to…) but I make all of our daily bread with just a simple recipe. Yeast still scares me for some reason 😉
Good luck with the new realtor! Yes, moving brings all kinds of craziness, but it’s good :)

3 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm

There’s something about homemade bread that’s a million times better than store bough, isn’t there?

4 KLZ February 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

Yay! You baked bread before you get to see your bun in the oven!!

5 Virginia February 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

How exciting! Both the new baking supplies and the trying to sell your house! Hopefully you’ll have good luck with this new realtor.

Now I’m off to google donut pans and drool over them. :)

6 christi @ grey umbrella February 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

sorry to hear about the snow, again. brrrr. i think your husband’s valentine’s gift was amazing and romantic!! i’ve tried bread so many times and never, ever like the result. i’ve decided that bread just isn’t my thing — and i’m ok with that. keep on trying, though!! Stop by for Tea on Tuesday — http://www.greyumbrella.com — if you feel like it!

7 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for the invite to Tea for Tuesday Christi. I linked up, and will be back next week too.

8 Jade @ Tasting Grace February 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Stupid snow. Hope the sun comes out again! Meanwhile that bread sounds delish, even if it was super difficult and didn’t quite come out as you’d hoped. But baking sounds like a lovely way to while away the winter blues! Can’t wait to see the ultrasound pics!

9 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

It really is. Baking has become such a stress-reducer for me. Except when the pounds start creeping on from all of the goodies I’m been making!

10 a February 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

oh, i need a really good and simple bread recipe, i told myself i was going to try a new one this week…but i forgot until i just read this! :) ultrasound day is always a great day, such a relief to see what’s going on in there. thanks for coffee… and sorry about the snow : ( spring is coming….

11 Hyacynth February 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I’m impressed!
The only bread I’ve attempted other than zucchini is bread in the bread maker, which I scored from my former step mother. But I’m a long way, too, from making perfect bread. Even with machine assistance.

Thanks for tea. :)

12 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love the ease of bread machines. I’ve just had really bad luck with them lately. I’ve gone through 3 in 1.5 years. Grrrrr.

13 Brook February 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm

So glad I found your blog through Amy’s Virtual Coffee.

Sorry about the snow. Not sure where you are, but my mom lives in MI and she said they got hit pretty good too. Sounds like ours is on the way. :-(

WOW!! Homemade french bread. You are amazing! I can barely make a frozen pizza without burning it. Might need to check out some of your recipes.

Congrats on another little boy. I have two of my own and they keep you on your toes that’s for sure. Can’t wait to see belly pics.

Take care and thanks for coffee (a couple of days late :-)

Brook @ redheadreverie.blogspot.com

14 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Hi Brook, thanks for stopping by! I think it was the same snow storm that hit your mom, I’m in WI. I hope to see you again soon!

Comments on this entry are closed.