Sweet Tooth Friday: Cream Cheese Brownies

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on February 24, 2011

Recently I had this problem. It was a cream cheese problem to be exact. You see, I’ve been making batches of this very delicious creamy tomato soup. Which left me with 2 oz of left over cream cheese. I hate wasting food. Hate it. Not that it doesn’t in our house. Because it does. More often than I care to admit.

Anyway, back to my problem. The cream cheese problem. I had a good 4 oz of cream cheese just burning a hole in my fridge. Calling my name. Ticking and tocking as the remaining time left in its life wore on. I also had this friend who was having a birthday party. A friend who loves sweets. A friend how’s party I was ditching and needed to send a sweet-something as an apology with Hubs who was going to the party. And so, these babies were born.

Cream Cheese Brownies

Oh yes, those are cream cheese brownies my friends.

Now, this recipe stated that it makes 16 brownies. But I have to seriously question whoever came up with that serving size. The night I made them, I of course had to test them. I couldn’t very well send off a plate of brownies if I wasn’t 100% sure that they were delicious, now could I? One piece for me. A second piece for Hubs. And a tiny third piece reserved for the kiddo. Somehow there were only like 8 pieces left.

16 pieces my butt.

And so, for your drooling pleasure, I present to you Cream Cheese Brownies. Get your napkins ready.

Cream Cheese Brownies

Cream Cheese Brownies

Adapted from Martha Stewart

• 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
  • 1 cup plus two tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 4 ounces room-temperature bar cream cheese
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9×9 or 8×8 square pan with non-stick spray.

In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter in the microwave, about 45 seconds on high. Add the chocolate chips and stir, microwaving longer, in 20 second intervals if necessary to melt all of the chocolate {do not over heat the chocolate}. Add 1-1/4 cups sugar, mix to combine. Add 3 eggs, mix to combine. Add the flour mixture and mix until just moistened {do not over mix}.

Prepare cream-cheese mixture: Whisk bar cream cheese with 2 tablespoons room-temperature butter {using the whisk attachment on a mixer works best}. Whisk in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.

Spoon chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture over the top. Drag a knife through the mixture to marble the mixture.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan for 30 minutes.

Cut into 16 squares {yea right}. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your post, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog an/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!

This post is proudly linked up to Mouthwatering Mondays, Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, My Sweet and Savory, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, It’s a Keeper Thursdays, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Friday Firsts, Food on Fridays, I’m Loving It, Sweets for a Saturday.

1 Ann Kroeker February 24, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Yes, bring those by next time you have some cream cheese burning a hole in your fridge! I’ll take care of them for you! Wow. Delicious!

2 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm

It’s a deal!

3 bj February 24, 2011 at 9:47 pm

These look amazing.
Thanks for hosting…this is my first time here.:)

4 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’m glad you stopped by! I hope to see you again soon.

5 Ginger @ Crock Pot Recipe Exchange February 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Those cream cheese brownies look DE-Lish-US! And thanks for the invite to Sweet Tooth Friday… it Rocks!

6 Teresa February 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Chocolate and cream cheese are high on my list of favorite foods. The brownies look delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your Sweet Tooth Friday sounds like fun. I’d love to join in this week!

7 ButterYum February 25, 2011 at 6:38 am

Hi Alli – Thank you so much for inviting me to join your party :) . I’m having trouble with your button – can you check the code to see if it’s complete?

8 Lisa February 25, 2011 at 8:13 am

I love cream cheese… these brownies look delicious!

9 amber February 25, 2011 at 8:37 am

Thanks. Now I’m drooling…at 9:30 a.m. Those look delish.

10 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

9:30 am seems like the perfect time for a brownie to me!

11 Debbi Does Dinner Healthy February 25, 2011 at 8:46 am

These look delicious!

12 Rhondi February 25, 2011 at 8:52 am

My kiddos would love these brownies!

13 Justine February 25, 2011 at 9:30 am

OMG – I thought I was having a pretty good Friday morning until I saw these and realize just how inadequate it is without one of them in my mouth, like, RIGHT NOW. I have to try these soon. They look unbelievably scrumptious!

14 Allison February 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Heehee, your comment has me cracking up! I hope you get one in your mouth soon {that sounds just a little bit dirty}.

15 Michelle @ On and Off My Plate February 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

Those brownies look amazing…..a must make this weekend for my sweets monster!

Thanks for hosting and happy weekend.

16 Megan Berry February 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Thanks for inviting me over! I’m always down for a new link party!!

17 Suzy February 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog and reminding me about your sweet event! I’ve added my link and look forward to exploring some others when home from work tonight. Have a great weekend.

18 Catherine February 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Thanks so much for the invite to link up! These brownies look tasty, & I’m excited to see what else you have!

19 Rhondi February 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Alli, I couldn’t get my post to link up here, and I tried 3 times. Let me know if there’s a problem with my post. Thanks!

20 Allison February 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm

You are the second blogger who had this problem. I’m changing linkys next week. Email me your post and I’ll add it. momma @ alli-n-son dot com

21 lynn February 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Oh yum, I do so wish I could have a bite of these right now. I have eaten too many vegetables today ;)

22 Dinner at Christina's February 26, 2011 at 12:03 am

I love cream cheese! And I hate wasting food too. I always get so annoyed with myself when I have to throw something out. More often than not it’s b/c I forgot about it and I find it weeks later in the back of the fridge. Grr.

23 Sense of Home February 26, 2011 at 8:03 am

Your brownies look awesome! Thanks for hosting.

-Brenda

24 TheKitchenWitch February 26, 2011 at 9:14 am

You’ve come to save me! I need to bring a dessert for Teacher Appreciation Week at Miss D.’s school on Monday. These look like the ideal solution!

25 Shoregirl February 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for the sweet comment and invite to link up! Looks like lots of tasty things happenin’ here!

26 Rachel/CoconutCrumbs February 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for your comment, just submitted my truffle post. Your brownies are simply scrumptious!

27 melissa daams aka cutekittypunk February 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

those sure look scrumptious :P

28 CollegeBakerGirl February 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Cream cheese AND brownies, deadly! Love the theme of your blog :) Thanks for inviting me to link up.

29 betsy February 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Yum. I’m making these. And I’m with you 16 pieces? Um..no way! haha. thanks for sharing!

30 Judy February 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I think my life expectancy just dropped a few years because I found this link-up! Wow these look good :) I can’t wait to come back each week.

Thanks for stopping by my blog so I could find this little sugar trove.

31 Rebecca Jean February 27, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Wow! Thanks for the invite. You have a killer blog and awesome link party! I have a major sweet tooth. We shall be the best of friends. ;)

I’m adding you to my daily reads, will follow on facebook and twitter and will be back for more chocolate.

♥ Rebecca Jean
Midnight Maniac

32 Lisa March 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

Ahhh! You’re killing me with these! They sound amazing!

33 amy March 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Yummy looking cream cheese brownies! Can’t wait to try them.

I’m hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March–the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn’ have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

Amy

34 Candi March 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm

So glad you shared this! I was thinking of making some mint cream cheese swirled brownies, but didn’t know the “cream cheese” part. With a few tweaks, I can make it minty and green. Thanks for sharing!

35 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies March 4, 2011 at 3:38 am

Mmm, these sound rich and delish. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

36 yvette March 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Another great recipe! These look delcious and a bite size would never be enough! http://yvettesblogs.com/2011/03/02/spiced-peach-muffins/

37 Melissa October 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I have these in the oven now and can’t wait to try them, the batter was good! I just looked at your list of recipes and look forward to trying some others, they all sound good!

38 Acne Remedy May 29, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Pimples occur because of internal dis-balance
in the body because of excessive presence of certain toxins.
These harmful toxins then tamper with the many glands
of the body leading to too much making of a particular kinds of hormones that causes adulteration
of the blood. You must have heard about the impurity stuff regarding blood in many
health issue. Did you ever wondered what exactly is this.
It is the excessive presence of chemicals
in the blood than usual which lead to various type of issues in the body.

Pimples are one of these.
Acne Remedy

39 Kellie July 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but
after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.

Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking