Deluxe Grilled Cheese

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on February 27, 2011

I love cheese.

And not just because I’m pregnant. Although that does seem to seem take it from love to obsession. Hey, baby needs his calcium, right? Yes, yes he does.

Also, I’m from Wisconsin, in case you didn’t know. I was raised on cheese. My grandparents owned a cheese store growing up. Yes, I’m serious. We had fresh cheese, cheese curds and other cheese-licious goodness at our fingertips. I can’t remember if it was consumed daily when I was a kid, but now as an adult, it is. Every day. Often multiple times a day.

I’m slightly addicted.

Also, I love really, really good bread. And panini’s. Can you see where I’m going here?

Deluxe Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Grilled cheese sandwiches. One of the staples in my diet. But not just any grilled cheese. This one is grown up with all sorts of flavors. And yet simple, because I don’t want to spend hours making a sandwich I’ll consume in under 5 minutes.

Hey, I’m a hungry pregnant woman. Don’t judge!

And so, the deluxe grilled cheese sandwich was born. And just as quickly it disappeared. Into my stomach. Mmmmmmmmm…

Deluxe Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Deluxe Grilled Cheese Sandwich

• Your favorite foccacia or crusty bread, 2 slices per sandwich
  • Fresh mozzarella
  • Fresh spinach
  • Tomato, sliced thin
  • Balsamic vinaigrette

Spray a medium pan with non-stick spray and heat over medium-low. Place the spinach in the pan and sprinkle with balsamic vinaigrette. Stir continuously until just wilted. Remove from heat.

Assemble sandwiches: one slice of bread topped by mozzarella cheese, slicked tomato and cooked spinach. Top with second piece of bread. Place sandwiches in pan and cover. Cook until the cheese is just melted, turning once the bread becomes golden brown.

Scarf down with your favorite tomato soup, on a cold day when you are snowed in. Or just because you are awesome and love cheese.

Meal Plan

Dinner

Monday: Creamy tomato soup
Tuesday: Tacos
Wednesday: Spaghetti and meatballs
Thursday: Beecher’s World’s Best Mac and Cheese {yes, again}
Friday: Homemade pizza on beer battered crust and homemade sauce {AllRecipes.com}
Saturday: Leftovers
Sunday: French toast on homemade French bread

Snacks

Desserts

Last week’s Sweet Tooth Friday linky is still active. It will be up until Thursday. Pop over and check out the 60+ recipes linked up and add your own. Get your recipes ready for this week’s Sweet Tooth Friday linky.

This post is proudly linked up to Mouthwatering Mondays, Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, My Sweet and Savory, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, It’s a Keeper Thursdays, I’m Loving It, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Friday Firsts, Food on Fridays, Friday Pot Luck.

{ 24 comments }

1 SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen February 27, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I love grown up grilled cheese — especially with Balsamic!! What a great recipe and a wonderful looking week.

2 keli February 27, 2011 at 8:44 pm

that looks really good! I think I might try it without the tomato 😉

3 Priyanka February 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Loved the pic of your dish…..

4 Maggie February 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

Cheese, spinach and balsamic? This sounds like heaven on earth! I love cheese. My husband thought he liked cheese. Unfortunately, I had to teach him about cheese. Good cheese does not come sliced and wrapped in individual papers or in a shaker can. Now that he has real cheese, he turns his nose up at that stuff. I am definitely going to have to try this one.

5 Allison February 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Amen!!!

6 Sugar Mama February 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

I am making my grocery list, and the ingredients for this sandwich will be included. This looks like the perfect grilled cheese for me! Thanks for sharing.

7 Allison February 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Yea! Let me know what you think of it.

8 KLZ February 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

Have you ever had grilled cheese on sour dough with garlic and pesto? OMG – my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I love cheese.

9 Allison February 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Never had it, but now I MUST!

10 Jamie February 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Ugh…I’m low carbing. Eat one of these lovely things for me, will you? Because that looks AMAZING!

11 Allison March 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm

You bet I’ll eat one for you!

12 Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes February 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm

It’s a good thing I don’t know anyone who owns a cheese store. I love it and could eat cheese all the time, but try to cut back because of the fat content in most cheese.

I love grilled cheese sandwiches but get tired of the same plain one. Now I’ll have a new idea to try! Your version looks yummy!

13 angie March 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

your sandwich looks delicious made grilled cheese just the other night but yours look so much better than my regular ones did

14 Janet March 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

That’s the best looking grilled cheese I’ve ever seen.

15 Katie March 1, 2011 at 10:37 am

Oh wow. This looks amazing. Grilled Cheese is one of my favorite sandwiches. Cheese is my weakness.
Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday!

16 Julie March 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Amen about grilled cheese. It is a staple at our house too and I can’t wait to try your version. Looks absolutely delicious!!

17 Sarah March 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm

…drool. I love simple things turned gourmet! That sandwich looks absolutely delicious.

18 Katie March 3, 2011 at 10:04 am

Your grilled cheese sounds awesome! I have to try it out!!

19 Lisa~ March 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Sounds like heaven! I love hearing about how cheese was always a part of your life. Makes me want to make this sandwich even more! Lisa~

20 Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} March 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm

looks great, my kind of lunch!

21 Erin @ EKat's Kitchen March 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I thought I loved cheese before I met my Wisconsin born and bred husband. It turns out I had a lot to learn about, including discovering cheese curds (beer battered and deep fried of course). This recipe looks great — I love the addition of balsamic and mozz… and I think hubby would like too! I love finding different ways to enjoy grilled cheese (also love avocado and tomatoes inside). Lovely post.

I’m your newest follower! I’d love if you brought this recipe to Friday Potluck this week! Also, I’m hosting a CSN giveaway this week!

22 Allison March 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Ohhhh, avocado would be wonderful with grilled cheese!

Have you tried cheese curds that haven’t been fried? Just the curds themselves and room temp. They squeak when you eat them and are sooooo good.

23 Erin @ EKat's Kitchen March 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck! :) I have tried the fresh cheese curds, and haven’t yet been sold on them… I think it’s the squeaking, in all honesty that turns me off! Never say never though, I’ll promise to give it another try! :)

24 Dinner at Christina's March 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Wow, this is deluxe! I just got a griddler/panini thingy for Christmas, I need to start whipping up creative sandwiches like this!

Comments on this entry are closed.