Baked Vanilla Donuts

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on March 10, 2011

For weeks now, if not months, I’ve seen bloggers sharing recipes for homemade donuts. Teasing me with the sugary-goodness. Tempting me with their frosted photos. Torturing me with their mouth-watering goodness. All because I didn’t have a Donut Pan.

The nerve of these bloggers.

And then, one cold February evening, my dreams were answered. My Valentines present, a trip to the kitchen store to load up on baking supplies, included the one thing that has been missing in my life. The thing I didn’t even know I couldn’t live without, until it was in my oven, baking these beauties.

Donut Pan

A Donut Pan.

Yes, now my life is complete. Almost. I only have one pan. Really, my life won’t be complete until I have two of these babies.

So then I started experimenting. Reading what others had done. Drooling.

Vanila and Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts

Then I started eating. And eating. I honestly don’t think I’ve stopped since I started.

And also, I’ve been torturing everyone on Twitter and Facebook with my pics. I just had to share them, even if the recipe wasn’t exactly ready to be published yet.

Now the day has come. The very first baked donut recipe is ready! There will of course be more to follow, because I can’t stop making and devouring these things. This dessert disguised as breakfast. The beauty that is a freshly baked, homemade donut.

Vanilla Glazed Baked Donut

Baked Vanilla Donuts

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 14-16 donuts

Baked Vanilla Donuts

Vanilla Donuts
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour {I often use White Whole Wheat flour}
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk {or substitute 3/4 cup milk with 3/4 tablespoon vinegar}
  • 2 eggs, beaten {for an extra healthy donut use 1 tablespoon ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons water for each egg}
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoon melted butter
  • Glaze
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon-Sugar Coating
  • Melted butter or butter-flavored non-stick spray
  • Cinnamon Sugar, a combination of granulated sugar and cinnamon {make to your tasting}

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a doughnut pan (or muffin tin) with butter flavored non-stick spray.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, eggs, vanilla and butter. Stir until well blended.
  3. Fill each doughnut cup approximately 3/4 full. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
  4. Glazed Donuts
  5. Stir together the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
  6. Dip each donut in the glaze and allow the glaze to harden slightly.
  7. Cinnamon-Sugar Donuts
  8. Spray still-warm donuts with butter-flavored cooking spray {or dip in melted butter for an extra-indulgent treat}.
  9. Roll donuts in cinnamon sugar mixture.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your post, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog an/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!

This post is proudly linked up to Mondays: Mouthwatering Mondays, Made By You Monday, Simply Share It, This Week’s Cravings, Tuesdays: Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, Wednesdays: Show and Tell, Works for Me Wednesday, Thursdays: Ultimate Recipe Swap, It’s a Keeper Thursdays, Fridays: I’m Loving It, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Friday Firsts, Food on Fridays, Friday Pot Luck, Saturdays: Sweets for a Saturday.

1 Danielle March 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Ahhh, I’ve been noticing these baked donuts too, but this post made me go to amazon immediately to look for one. I can’t wait to try them and this will be the first recipe I experiment with. Thanks for posting!!! Positive vibes….

2 PinayInTexas March 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hmmmm…they just look so yummy! A new addition to my bookmarked recipes. :)
It’s my second time here…and for this week, I’m sharing another Filipino favorite dessert – the Ube (Purple Yum) Buchi.

3 Pat March 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Wow, those look so good! I can only imagine me trying to make them & avoid eating them. :-)

4 Happier Than A Pig in Mud March 10, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Baked donuts sound great! I’m really not a fan of the frying in oil:@)

5 The Lucky Wife @ The Saturday Evening Pot March 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Thank you for the invitation! Would love for you to link your MOST POPULAR recipe so far in our Star Recipes Collection! We also have a weekly party on Mondays, so would love for you to share any recipe you’d like there, starts Sunday night and open through Wednesday.

These doughnuts sound so good!!

6 Hazel Moon March 11, 2011 at 1:10 am

Baked instead of deep fried! Now that is something I would go for! Your photos make me drool!

7 missy March 11, 2011 at 2:00 am

I NEED one of these pans – those look amazing!

8 Lisa March 11, 2011 at 6:37 am

I am loving these! Hopefully one day I’ll get a donut pan too, but for now I’ll drool over yours, lol!

9 Kim March 11, 2011 at 6:44 am

Thank you for this yummy looking donut recipe! I just bought a donut pan a few weeks ago and am eager to try this out! :)

10 I Love My Three Sons March 11, 2011 at 6:46 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know you have a sweet tooth linkie party! I added my Strawberry Shortcake!!! I have seen the donut pans many times over but they never appealed to me, honestly, you have made me rethink passing them up! You make it look so delicious and EASY!!!

11 Jessica March 11, 2011 at 6:50 am

I need a donut pan RIGHT NOW! Seriously RIGHT NOW! I love donuts and so does my son! Oh fabulous recipe Alli! I love it. And want you be so proud of me. Already linked up my sweet dessert today!

12 Melissa K March 11, 2011 at 7:03 am

Wow! These look great! I don’t have a donut pan yet, but it’s definitely on my wish list. I’ll be trying this recipe when I get one!

13 Beth March 11, 2011 at 7:06 am

Your doughnuts look awesome, Alli! And being baked rather than fried definitely is a healthier alternative. Thanks for sharing.

14 Lisa March 11, 2011 at 7:36 am

wow, wow, wow…these are heavenly! YUM!

15 Miz Helen March 11, 2011 at 8:03 am

Your doughnuts looks so delicious. I have shared my Bread Pudding today. Thank you for hosting and you have a great week end!

16 Greenderella March 11, 2011 at 8:06 am

YUUUMMM, these look so good. And I thought my kitchen was pretty much complete, now I guess I also have to go and buy a doghnut pan, lol. I brought my Peach Cake for the Linky Party. Thank you for hosting! :)

17 From Ministry to Motherhood March 11, 2011 at 8:17 am

These look incredible! I got a doughnut pan as a gift and I’m going to have to pull it out. These are a must make for brunch this weekend! Thanks!

18 carolinaheartstrings March 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Your donuts look so wonderful. I am going to get myself a donut pan and try them. Great pics.

19 Aimee Shugarman March 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

These look great. I don’t have a donut pan so I always fry mine. Funny enough, I just posted my recipes today for donuts…with chocolate glaze, strawberry frosted, jelly filled, creamsicle and lemonade! Thanks for the “linky”!!!

20 Concetta March 11, 2011 at 11:19 am

Oh these look mouthwatering!!! I have to make these – my family will flip! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe and hosting!

21 Maggie March 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm

UGH! Et tu Burte?! I am just going to have to break down and buy a couple of these things now! It would go well with my ban of store bought and boxed goods that I am trying to do away with. Thanks for posting the recipe! Crap! Now I really have to go and get one!

22 Christy D.@ organicprincess March 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Amazon says my donut pan is in the mailbox! Guess what I’m making this weekend?!

23 amber March 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I. Need. A donut pan. What about the Weight Watchers plan, you ask? Well, veggies and fruit are 0 points…leaving plenty of room for donuts.

24 Rhondi March 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I need a donut pan too! These look so good!!!

25 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) March 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm

It sounds like there is going to be a big spike in donut pan sales after your blog post! I have always avoided donuts because they were fried but these look really good!
This week I am sharing the recipe for my Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies. It is a recipe that has been around forever but I reduced the sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 so my version is a little bit healthier. I also love the fact that it’s already gluten free (since it doesn’t have any flour)
Thanks for hosting!

26 Corrine March 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Funny, I was just saying I wanted to make doughnuts this weekend! Yours look perfect!

27 Brenda March 11, 2011 at 5:23 pm

OMG Alli, I could give you a big hug right now!!! I had no idea such a thing as a donut pan even existed. I’m so excited, lol!! I never make donuts as I hate the thought of rolling them out, cutting them and frying them. This solves everything. Thank you, thank you for posting such a great recipe!!! And thanks for inviting me to your blog hop. Have a great weekend!

28 Paula March 11, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I still have to place my order for these pans. Can only get them on-line in my area. Your donuts look really, really good! Thanks for publishing the recipe.

29 Muthering Heights March 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Expect me at breakfast tomorrow! :)

30 Nikki Balderas March 12, 2011 at 6:12 am

Your donuts look amazing. Thanks for hosting the link-up!

31 SaminaCooks March 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Thank you for the invitation :) I am linking up my Oreo Brownies Recipe :)

32 Liz March 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Alli, your donuts look marvelous! Thanks for inviting me to join your sweet tooth Friday. I’ve shared my frozen chocolate crepes~

33 Sue March 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Your donuts look perfectly professional! I made some raised sugar donuts a while ago, but without the pan.

34 Michelle March 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Thanks for the invite Alli, I have linked up my post on cinnamon buns. Those doughnuts look too scrummy…

35 sara March 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I got a mini donut pan for Christmas but I’ve decided I either need SEVERAL more or I have to get a regular sized one – since I could eat the whole pan of minis myself!! WHoever dreamed up these pans is a GENIUS!!!

36 Mrs. Jen B March 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Awe-some! I need me one of those pans for sure! Not to mention one of those donuts, naturally 😉

Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog. I totally lost track of time and forgot to visit yesterday to link up – could I link up next week instead?

37 Julie March 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm

A Donut pan! Who knew? That’s what’s been missing from my life! Going on my wishlist (right next to a twinkie pan!). Thanks so much for the invite, I linked up :)

38 NancyC March 12, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Those donuts look really yummy–I will need to get a donut pan so I can make them!

39 Catharine March 12, 2011 at 11:27 pm

These donuts look delish! I’ve been wanting to get a donut pan for the longest time. And thanks for the invitation to link up; I’ve already done so :)

40 The Girl from the Ghetto March 14, 2011 at 8:26 am

Found you via Sherri, hello!

These donuts look delightful. As a fat girl, I would become addicted to home donut-making, but I’m loving living vicariously with your fabulous donuts. Mmmm…

41 Jamie March 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I am no longer low carbing and as soon as I get a cute little pan, I’m making these. My oldest daughter is peanut allergic and so it’s hard to find doughnuts that are safe. THESE would be, though. Can’t wait to give them a try!

42 Melissa March 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm

those look so yummy! my boys would love those! I just linked my Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
recipe. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

43 Lilianna Grace March 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Thank you! I need a good baked donut recipe. I have a post of baked chocolate donuts that includes the recipe. On the same day I made the chocolate donuts I made vanilla ones, but they weren’t worth remaking. I’m so excited to try yours, as I’m always looking for baked donut recipes!

44 Christina March 15, 2011 at 1:28 am

Donuts are so tempting and yummy! I invite you to link up any & all of your delightful creations to The Homespun Bake Shop @ The Tattered Tag. It’s a great new place for delicious inspiration. I also host a fun blog bash K.I.S.S. Happy to be a new follower. :)

Drop by The Tattered Tag

45 Amanda March 17, 2011 at 3:00 am

Oh my giddy aunt! These look wonderful, I must find me a pan soon so I can make soe yummy donuts, thanks for sharing.

46 Kristy March 17, 2011 at 8:56 am

Hi, I’m your newest follower from It’s a Keeper Thursday blog hop! Those donuts look amazing, I have been seeing baked donuts everywhere and I’ve yet to buy the pan! lol Looking forward to following you! :) Stop by if you have a chance!!

47 Dinner at Christina's March 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I saw a brand new donut pan at a thrift store last week in FL for $4. I thought it was expensive for a thrift store so I didn’t get it. Now you’re making me kick myself in the butt! They look so, so pretty and delicious!

48 It's a Keeper March 21, 2011 at 7:33 am

Wow! This looks amazing! Thanks for linking up to the It’s a Keeper Thursday blog hop! Be sure to come back next week and link something new!

Christina @ It’s a Keeper

49 Lark March 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I would like to invite you to join in on a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY on my blog!
“Made it on Monday”
You can link up your recipes every week Wed.-Sat.

I hope to see some of your recipes soon.
*There will be prizes often*

50 PB Rippey March 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My son and I made these today and they are delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

51 Allison @ Alli 'n Son March 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm

52 Judy July 13, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe! My donut pans have been collecting dust for a few years. When I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I had to dig them out and put them to use! Glad I did! Btw, only thing I did different was drizzle a little maple syrup in the glaze. Seemed to thicken it up a little. And I also double dipped the donuts in the glaze. Yummy!

53 uKelsoWhiteac November 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This post was incredibly nicely written, and it also contains quite a few useful facts. I appreciated your professional manner of writing this article. You’ve got made it quick for me to recognize.

54 remodeling projects before and after September 9, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all fokks you actually know what you’re speaking about!

Bookmarked. Please also talk ovewr with my website =). We can have a
hyperlink alternate agreement between us