Sweet Tooth Friday: Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on March 17, 2011

Last year when we were trying to sell our house, I made a batch of freshly-baked cookies before each showing. This served two purposes. It upped my stress level because while trying to clean the house, I was actually making a giant mess. True this mess resulted in delicious cookies, but it was still another mess that I had to clean.

The second purpose was the that house smelled like delicious cookies during the showings. Which I hoped would trick buyers into thinking that there were always freshly baked cookies in the house, magically. But apparently buyers are smarter than that, because none of them bought our house.

So this year I decided not to make cookies for each showing. We would not be the “cookie house” this year. I’m OK with that. That is, until our first open house came around. I wanted to be the cookie house. I needed to be the cookie house. And so, I baked two batches of cookies the night before the open house. Time to clean before the showing, time to sample a cookie {or 500 hundred}.

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Of course, I’ve also been looking for an excuse to make a new treat from the Hershey’s Recipe Collection Cookbook book that I’ve been drooling over {and sometimes into} for the past few weeks. This, finally, was my excuse.

So, after ear-marking about 30 different recipes, I finally, finally narrowed it down to two. The rest will just have to wait for a different day. I’m sure I can come up with an excuse or two for making cookies again. Soon. Real soon.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounce package chocolate chips {about 2 cups}

Preheat oven to 350º.

In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the corn syrup, egg and vanilla, beating well.

Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in the chocolate chips . Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 8-10 minutes {13-15 minutes for large cookies}, or until lightly browned and almost set. Cool slightly. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.

Be patient! The cookies will be softer the second day.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your post, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog an/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!

This post is proudly linked up to Mondays: Mouthwatering Mondays, Made By You Monday, Simply Share It, This Week’s Cravings, Tuesdays: Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, Wednesdays: Show and Tell, Works for Me Wednesday, Thursdays: Ultimate Recipe Swap, It’s a Keeper Thursdays, Fridays: I’m Loving It, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Friday Firsts, Food on Fridays, Friday Pot Luck, Saturdays: Sweets for a Saturday.

1 Christy D. @organic princess March 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I finally had something to link up this week! I was chuckling though because it was a morf I made inspired by one of your recipes. I’m starting to feel like a stalker!!!

2 Allison March 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Wahoo! So glad you linked up.

3 Concetta March 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Thank you for hosting and for sharing such a mouthwatering recipe – they look divine!
Concetta

4 Tina (PinayInTexas) March 17, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Linking up Filipino Ice Candy for this week! :)

5 Allison March 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Yummy! Thanks for linking up.

6 Angie March 18, 2011 at 7:56 am

Thanks for the invite to link up my Owl cake recipe!
Your cookies look amazing!

7 Sense of Home March 18, 2011 at 8:04 am

Thanks for hosting! I’m sharing my trail bars recipe (just had one for breakfast, mmm), have a relaxing weekend.

-Brenda

8 Miz Helen March 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

Just look at all these wonderful goodies that you have here today. I have shared my Brownie Tart. Thank you for hosting and have a great week end!

9 Cheryl B. March 18, 2011 at 8:52 am

Well Allison, I had been having hankerings for chocolate chip cookies, but had thus far been successful in resisting said wantings. Now however, you’ve gone and made me visualize them ….. so much for resisting. Cookie baking coming up soon!!!! o;-p

10 Allison March 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm

So glad I could help break your resistance! LOL!

11 carolinaheartstrings March 18, 2011 at 8:55 am

Those coolies look awesome. Your pictures are great!

12 April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 18, 2011 at 10:11 am

Those cookies look so yummy! I could just use one with a cup of tea right now! I’ve linked up my Devilish Peanut Butter Cake. I’d love to invite you to come and link up to a new foodie blog hop I’m co-hosting called Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home. Here is a link http://www.21stcenturyhousewife.com/index/Blog/Entries/2011/3/18_Feed_Me_Tweet_Me_Follow_Me_Home_Friday.html
Thank you for hosting, and I would love it if you could join in! Have a great weekend!

13 Allison March 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the invite! Off to check it out.

14 April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 20, 2011 at 7:26 am

Thank you so much for linking up! Hope to ‘see’ you again next Friday :) Have a lovely week!

15 Rhondi @ Big Mama's Home Kitchen March 18, 2011 at 11:55 am

You’re too funny! Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies would convince me. Any bites from a buyer yet?

16 Allison March 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm

We’re still holding out hope for one, but we haven’t heard anything in about a week. Boo.

17 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) March 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Hi Allison! We are going to be putting our house up for sale soon and I am worried about how it’s going to affect my being able to test recipes- sometimes I cook late at night and clean up in the morning. I guess that’s going to have to change!
This week I am sharing my recipe for Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk cookies. This recpe is gluten free, but it can be made with “regular” flour if you don’t have issues with gluten.
Thanks for hosting! Good luck with your house!

18 Allison March 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I wouldn’t worry, it won’t affect it much. At least it doesn’t for me. We get about 24 hours notice before a showing comes through, just enough time to clean up my latest mess.

Thanks for linking up today.

19 Crystal & Co March 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for inviting me to link up.

There is nothing like an amazing chocolate chip cookie!

20 Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker March 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for inviting me! Those cookies look soooo yummy! There is nothing better than a good, classic chocolate chip cookie. What a great idea to bake before showing your house! Smart girl!

21 Lyuba March 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Thank you for inviting me! Your cookies are looking scrumptious!
Joined your site as well :)

22 Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING March 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I linked up my Thin Mint Cupcakes! Thanks fo linking to us too. This week we are only doing GREEN food.. so please come back and link up something GREE. Next week is Chocolate… Chocolate and More Chocolate, so I’d love to have you come back and link up this cookie recipe!

23 Micha @ Cookin' Mimi March 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies are the best ever.

24 Greenderella March 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thank you so much for hosting. Your cookies look/sound wonderful!

25 Tessa March 19, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I’ve always heard that about selling your house… hopefully it works out for you this time! I’m intrigued by the addition of corn syrup in these. Does it help keep them chewy?

26 Allison March 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Yes, I think the corn syrup is the key. It kept the cookies super chewy, even days later.

27 NancyC March 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Those cookies look and sound so yummy!

28 Kristy March 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for the invite to join in!! Your chocolate chip cookies look delicious!

29 Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING March 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Thanks so much for coming back and linking to THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS “CHOCOLATE”, we are already enjoying over 100 recipes, so make sure to stop back by and see them all. It’s gonna be one SWEET week!

And don’t forget to come back next week (Monday) for “HIDDEN INGREDIENT”… “What can you hide in your recipes?”

30 Amanda March 23, 2011 at 8:57 am

Must try these cookies! Great photos!

31 Bianca@Walnut Avenue March 25, 2011 at 4:32 pm

these look absolutely fabulous…I can fit more than three in my hand, I’m sure! I havent made anything sweet this week otherwise I would be happy to link up! It is my personal goal this week to do just that!!

These would be PERFECT for my new weekly linky party – Foodie Friday! If you got a sec, please link up!

Found you on Blue Cricket Design!

32 Angela Arnold March 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I know I’m a year late… but I wanted to post that I tried these cookies. They are the BEST chocolate chip cookies I have ever made! I am not a good cook, in fact I normally dread baking, but even MY batch came out perfect! Thanks for posting this!

33 Allison @ Alli 'n Son March 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I so happy to hear that! You made my day.