Baked Chocolate Donuts

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on March 24, 2011

I have a secret confession. I’ve been holding out on you. A few weeks ago I teased everyone with my Vanilla Donut recipe. I actually blushed from the response, I’m embarrassed easily. So many people running out to buy Donut Pans just so they could make these babies.

Well, I hope that you all did buy those Donut Pans. Because here’s another recipe. Only chocolate. Sweet, delicious chocolate.

Chocolate Donuts

Yes, it’s for breakfast. There seriously isn’t a better way to start off your morning than with a mouthful of chocolate. Well, it would maybe be better with a giant cup of strong coffee. The kind that kicks you in the pants just a little bit.

Or maybe that’s just me, missing real coffee. I’m tired of the decaf stuff.

Anyway, the time has come. You’ve waited long enough.

Whether you like them doused in frosting.

Frosted Chocolate Donut

Or smothered in cinnamon-sugar.

Sugar-Coated Chocolate Donut

You won’t be disappointed.

Baked Chocolate Donuts

Baked Chocolate Donuts

Chocolate Donuts
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk {or substitute sour milk: 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar}
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Chocolate Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Sprinkles, optional
  • Cinnamon Sugar Topping
  • Butter-flavored non-stick spray or melted butter
  • Cinnamon sugar {make to your tasting}

Chocolate Donuts
  1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
  2. Lightly spray a donuts pan (or muffin pan) with butter-flavored non-stick spray.
  3. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
  4. Stir in milk, eggs, vanilla and butter. Stir until well blended.
  5. Fill each doughnut cup approximately 3/4 full.
  6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until the donuts spring back when touched.
  7. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from pan.
  8. Chocolate Glaze
  9. Stir together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
  10. Add sugar or milk as needed to adjust the thickness.
  11. Dip one side of each donut in the glaze. Top with sprinkles.
  12. Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
  13. Spray still-warm donuts with butter-flavored cooking spray or dip in melted butter for an extra-indulgent treat.
  14. Roll donuts in cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your post, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog an/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!
  4. Stop by again on Saturday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

This post is proudly linked up to Mondays: Mouthwatering Mondays, Made By You Monday, Simply Share It, This Week’s Cravings, Mingle Monday Tuesdays: Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, Tip Junkie Wednesdays: Show and Tell, Works for Me Wednesday, Thursdays: Ultimate Recipe Swap, It’s a Keeper Thursdays, Strut Your Stuff Fridays: I’m Loving It, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Friday Firsts, Food on Fridays, Friday Pot Luck, Walnut Avenue: Foodie Friday Saturdays: Sweets for a Saturday.

1 Kim McCallie March 24, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I do want a doughnut pan now! I like it that your recipe doesn’t require yeast. Yeast scares me! This recipe looks like something I might be able to pull off. Thanks!

2 Kim March 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Mmmm….. these chocolate donuts look divine! I must try them using my new donut pan! Thanks for hosting another wonderful Sweet Tooth Friday. :)

3 Micha @ Cookin' Mimi March 24, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I don’t really care for store bought cake doughnuts but I can imagine these are a completely different story.

4 Jackie March 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm

These look amazing. I love love love donuts and I don’t indulge very often. But if I made them at home….

Thanks too for the linky invite! Have a great weekend!

5 TINA @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING March 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm

These donuts look GREAT… We are having a CHOCOLATE… CHOCOLATE… and MORE CHOCOLATE linky party over at THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS! We would LOVE for you to link up your chocolate recipe.. it’s gonna be a really SWEET week, we hope you stop by and link up!

6 Kate March 25, 2011 at 12:06 am

I have never made donuts….I am thinking I should become adventurous!

7 Lisa March 25, 2011 at 5:42 am

These look divine! I have to get a donut pan…soon!

8 bj March 25, 2011 at 6:51 am

ummm, wish I had a donut pan this morning…I would sure make these.
Thanks for reminding me about linking with you. I did !
xo bj

9 Jessica March 25, 2011 at 7:02 am

Must you give me another reason to make something sweet this week. I have sweets up to my ears and my husband is like how are we going to eat all of this (little does he know I can eat it all by myself)- now I have to throw donuts into the mix! Love this! Going to link up my girl scout cookies but my site is down right now so I can’t get to the link. Will be back to do it when i can though!

10 Linda @ Lemon Drop March 25, 2011 at 7:37 am

These donuts look amazing ! I love baked vs deep fried. Cannot wait to try these !

Linda @ Lemon Drop

11 ana @ i made it so March 25, 2011 at 8:05 am

this is my first time sharing here! thanks so much for hosting. looking forward to browsing through the recipes!

happy weekend!

12 Roz March 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

Hi, this is my first visit and participation in your blog party! I’m all linked up with Raspberry and Cheese Stuffed, Baked French Toast recipe and with a link back to your blog on my post! I do hope you can stop by my Friday/Saturday blog hop to with a great recipe or post! Thanks a bunch and have a super weekend!

13 Melissa March 25, 2011 at 9:36 am

This looks great! Now I’m going to have to give in and buy a donut pan! :)

14 Tina (PinayInTexas) March 25, 2011 at 10:46 am

Hi Alli! Great looking donuts you got there! Now I want my own donut pan!
I’m linking my Food for the Gods, a delightful treat from the Philippines that I’ll be donating to The Tomato Tart’s Online Bake Sale for Japan…

15 Corrine March 25, 2011 at 11:44 am

Those look soooo good!

16 ButterYum March 25, 2011 at 11:51 am

Hi Alli – thanks for inviting me to join your great linky party. Your first donut recipe sounded wonderful, but this one is down right dangerous, girl. Yikes!

17 Aimee March 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Okay, dumb question. I thought I was doing this right, but apparantly I need help! How do I link your button to my blog? Let me know so I do it correctly….thanks!!!!!

18 Bethany March 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm

These look so fantastic – Thanks for the invite! I hope to see you on Monday for my Menu Inspiration Monday link up!

19 Tami March 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Thank you for the invite! This is a terrific event!

Your donuts look dreamy. I will be searching for one of those pans now! I can’t wait to look at all of the recipes that have been linked here. :)

I’ve linked up my Hummingbird Cupcakes in the Buff:

20 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) March 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hi Alli- Happy Friday! I am sharing my recipe for Banana And Chocolate Layered Dessert. This recipe is gluten free, but it can be made with “regular” flour if you don’t have issues with gluten.
Thanks for hosting!

21 Dr. Laura @ March 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Allison, this is torture! I feel the need for a donut pan now :) Thanks so much!!

These look fantastic and so do the vanilla ones!

Feel free to come share them with Dr. Laura’s Tasty Tuesday blog hop!

Dr. Laura

22 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies March 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Mmm, those chocolate donuts look totally tempting. I bet they were all delicious. I just linked up with my Orange Pull-Apart Coffee Cake.

23 briarrose March 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

There should be a rule against how good these look. :) I need doughnut pans…neeeds them.

24 Trooppetrie March 28, 2011 at 7:50 am

I am new to your pan and can not wait to try this recipe and link up on Fridays

25 Mo'Betta March 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm

We LOVE our mini donut pan!!

26 Christi @ Love From The Oven March 28, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Stopped by from Tip Tuesday. These look delish! Donuts are are my “new things to try out” list. You just helped move them up the list! :) Thanks for sharing!

27 pamela March 28, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I am donut crazy!!! I just bought a couple pans and as soon as they come I am in the kitchen knee deep in donuts!!!

28 Lindsey March 29, 2011 at 9:01 am

Just yesterday I was telling my husband I needed to try making some donuts for the dairy allergic in our household. This recipe is super easy to modify, and I will be on the hunt for a donut pan :-) Hi from Tasty Tuesdays by the way!

29 Bitterroot Mama March 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

Oh wow! Wonderful recipe.

30 Sunni March 31, 2011 at 12:03 pm

These look pretty sinful! Yummo!

31 Sarah March 31, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Yum, those look SO good. My roommate and I are planning on getting a doughnut pan now! Just letting you know, you’re featured at Simply Step Back again today! Stop over and grab a button!

32 Stephanie May 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love this idea! I am going to feature it next Thursday!

33 Susie May 11, 2011 at 7:03 am

I tried baking these as muffins and they baked well. However, I was very disappointed in the flavor. It was pretty bland.

34 Allison May 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’m sorry to hear that! Did you cover the muffins with the glaze or cinnamon sugar? If not, that may be the missing flavor element. You could also try adding more cocoa powder and sugar to intensify the flavor a little.

35 Susie May 11, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I did use the glaze, but we still didn’t like it (hubby didn’t either). The kids sure did though!

36 Sharon Karen May 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Wow those pictures are mouth watering. I have to go get some chocolate donuts now. Thanks

37 Megan February 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Why do the instructions call for mixing in shortening when it is not listed in the ingredients?

38 Allison @ Alli 'n Son February 26, 2012 at 9:38 pm

That should say butter, not shortening. Thanks for pointing it out, I’ve updated the recipe, and you can now save it to your Ziplist recipe box.

39 Sherry H. March 15, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Where can I buy the Donut Pan?
Your donuts look so good, I have
to try them.

40 bouncy castles July 10, 2014 at 8:30 pm

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and
now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Many thanks!

41 Deidre September 21, 2014 at 12:23 am

This աeeb ѕіte really has all the info Ӏ needed about this
subject and dіԁn’t know who to ask.

42 nautilis gallon rectangular October 14, 2014 at 1:34 am

Very soon this web site will be famous among all blog people, due to it’s nice content

43 domain October 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Amazing! Its truly awesome post, I have got much clear idea concerning
from this piece of writing.