Roasted Rosemary-Onion Baby Red Potatoes

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on May 1, 2011

I’m terrible at coming up with side dishes for meals. Terrible. It’s usually a last minute thought, which involves baby carrots and ranch dressing. Sometimes, if I’m feeling wild, I’ll even warm up a bag of frozen broccoli.

Yes, I’m crazy like that.

But sometimes the meal calls for something heartier than baby carrots. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some carrots, but after 3 or 4 days in a row, they begin to lose their appeal. I think Hubs would agree.

Yes, yes, he’s nodding his head.

So instead of a bag of carrots or broccoli I grab the nearest bag I can find. The bag of potatoes. A staple in our house, staking it’s claim on the top of the fridge. Too often forgotten because, well, it’s on top of the fridge.

It’s a shame really that I so often forget about this dish. It’s oh so good and super easy. Just chop.

Roasted Rosemary-Onion Baby Red Potatoes

Who doesn’t like chopping? Take that man-who-cut-me-off-in-traffic! Uh, I mean potatoes.

Roasted Rosemary-Onion Baby Red Potatoes

Toss. Mix. Stir. Repeat.

Then bake until golden brown and fragrant.

Roasted Rosemary-Onion Baby Red Potatoes
Om nom nom. I think that’s the technical term for how it smells.

This side dish is the perfect accent to any meat and potatoes kind of meal. Yet, it’s not as boring as say a baked potato {snooze}. Or say you don’t eat a lot of red meat in your house, like ours, it’s perfectly paired with pork chops, bacon-wrapped turkey tenderloin, and just abut anything on the grill.

It may even go well with {gasp!} broccoli and carrots.

Roasted Rosemary-Onion Baby Red Potatoes

Meal Plan

Monday: Tofu something, Hubs is in charge
Tuesday: Taco soup
Wednesday: Santa Fe Bean Casserole
Thursday: Brats on the grill with sweet potato fries
Friday: Homemade pizza on beer battered crust and homemade sauce {}
Saturday: Leftovers
Sunday: French toast

Last week’s Sweet Tooth Friday linky is still active. Pop over and check out the amazing recipes linked up and add your own.

This post is proudly linked up to Sundays: Nifty Thrifty Sunday Mondays: Mouthwatering Mondays, Made By You Monday, Mingle Monday Tuesdays: Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, It’s a Blog Party, Tip Junkie Wednesdays: Show and Tell, Works for Me Wednesday, Thursdays: Ultimate Recipe Swap, It’s a Keeper Thursdays, Strut Your Stuff, Full Plate Thursday, Thrilling Thursday Fridays: I’m Loving It, Foodie Friday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Food on Fridays, Friday Pot Luck, Walnut Avenue: Foodie Friday.

1 Jessica May 2, 2011 at 6:29 am

These look so good! I love anything on baby red potatoes especially the seasonings you throw in! Awesome

2 Aimee May 2, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love red potatoes. I love rosemary! And I especially love rosemary on my potatoes! I too am bad about the side dishes. My focus is usually on the main dish and the dessert. Somehow the side dish is always last minute (bag of frozen corn, raw veggies, bowl of fruit, boring!). Occasionally I’ll whip up something yummy, but often not. Thanks for sharing, and reminding me I need a side dish with dinner tonight!

3 Allison May 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Dinner and dessert, that’s where my focus is too. Especially on dessert!

4 George May 2, 2011 at 8:04 am

That looks really good. I’m a complete potato addict and love finding new ways to cook them. I also don’t use rosemary as much as I would like (I like it a lot more than my wife). Something like this where it is roasted may mellow the taste a little and pass muster :). Thanks for sharing!

5 Allison May 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I hope you and your wife like it. I also add rosemary into pizza sauces and sprinkle it on other Italian dishes.

6 Amy @ A Little Nosh May 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

I am terrible at side dishes! Terrible. Good thing my son eats a well-balanced lunch at school. LOL

7 Paula May 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

I love roasted rosemary potatoes. Always love the aromas in the kitchen when I’m preparing them and when they are cooking. I usually add fresh minced garlic to mine but your onions have given me something new to try.

8 Allison May 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Ohhh, garlic, that’s a great idea! I’m adding that next time.

9 Susan May 2, 2011 at 10:08 am

I’m Irish! Potatoes are my favorite and these look amazing–I can’t wait to make these for a family dinner. XOXO

10 Allison May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Enjoy them!

11 karenkay May 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thanks for sharing that recipe…I’m going to use that one tonight!! (I actually have all the ingredients)!

12 Allison May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Wahoo! Stop back and let me know what you think.

13 carolinaheartstrings May 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I am making these tonight! They look fantastic. Great pictures.

14 Allison May 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm

So, did you make them? What did you think?

15 bj May 3, 2011 at 1:34 am

These not only sound delicious, they look fabulous.
xo bj

16 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Thank you bj! So glad you stopped by today.

17 cheryl@Notesfromthecrystalstairs May 3, 2011 at 7:33 am

Thanks for sharing this I was looking for a recipe that calls for rosemary my kids are
a bit picky maybe I can ease it in this way. Thanks this does look easy.

18 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm

It is super easy. I hope you and your family enjoys the recipe.

19 Lisa May 3, 2011 at 8:13 am

These are good! My mom makes something very similar and I love them! YUM!

20 The Texas Peach May 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm

These look so yummy! I tend to grab a bag of frozen broccoli for a quick side dish a lot, and it does get old pretty quickly. These sound so tasty. I will definitely have to take a break from boring old broccoli and give these a try sometime!

21 Melanie May 4, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I would love for you to come link up at my new “Encouragement is Contagious!” linky party! You can share your favorite posts from someone else’s blog to encourage them, and share your favorite from your own blog and get lots of visits :)

Have a great day!
Melanie :)

22 Miz Helen May 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Your menu for the week looks great I could come over everyday. We just love roasted potatoes and would love your recipe, it looks great! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

23 Ann Kroeker May 5, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Wow, those look good. Like you, I kind of forget about this kind of side dish. Thanks for the delicious reminder–and instructions.

24 ButterYum May 5, 2011 at 10:17 pm

This is exactly how I like to eat potatoes (well, I like to eat them all ways). I don’t think I could be trusted near a tray full of these beauties.

25 Little Brick Ranch May 7, 2011 at 9:04 am

You know I LOVE anything potato related!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

26 vanessa May 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Oh my, another yummy looking recipe! Thank you so much for linking this up as well!
Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

27 It's a Keeper May 12, 2011 at 6:48 am

Hi! I’m featuring your recipe on It’s a Keeper Thursday this week! I’d love if you stopped by and grabbed a button.

And, feel free to link up another great recipe this week too!

Christina @ It’s a Keeper
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

28 Allison May 12, 2011 at 7:37 am

Thank you so much for featuring my recipe! I’m honored.

29 Red Potato Recipes July 5, 2011 at 12:46 am

Yum, that recipe looks delicious.

30 flat stomach fast detox January 31, 2015 at 7:02 pm

If you have ever been in a position where you wanted to lose weight,
one of the most common things that are talked about is
water. Currently, there is one anti-obesity substance on the market
that’s accepted for long-term use. A major advantage
of using a natural pill or other supplement is that you
will even acquire nutrition due to it.