{virtual} coffee

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on May 2, 2011

If we were having {virtual} coffee this morning, or afternoon or evening even {hey, I’ll take it when I can get it} I’d offer you some of my homemade creamer that I made this weekend. Do you prefer French vanilla or chocolate almond? I suggest chocolate almond, but then again I’m slightly addicted to chocolate.

Steamy hot coffee

And yes, if you like, I’ll share the recipes.

I suppose that we’d begin by talking about the latest news. Osama Bin Laden being assassinated. I’m slightly embarrassed to tell you that I first heard about it on Facebook. Thank goodness for friends who are more in touch with the current world happenings than I am.

I would tell you that while on a normal day I would say that no one deserves to be killed, I’m glad that Osama is gone. There was so much evil in him and he spread it to far too many people. I think the world is a better place without him in it. Yet, I feel odd feeling like this, celebrating someone’s death. Yesterday an article was published on the Huffington Post, Celebrating a Death by Paul Brande that is so worth reading. My favorite quote sums up better than I can why I feel the way that I do:

His death is satisfying not only because of what he did, but because it prevents him from doing any more violence in the future in the name of religion.

So Osama is dead. While I feel relief at this news, I know that it probably won’t really change anything. In reality, someone else will probably step in and take his place. I’d like to think that there is no one as evil as this man was, but I’d only be kidding myself. I just hope that some of the people under Osama’s spell will have the chance to break away and begin again. I don’t think all of the people involved in this group are evil. I think many of them just got wrapped up with the wrong people. It happens all the time. I sincerely hope that this is their opportunity to start a new life. A better life.

Then, to lighten the mood, I’d tell you that I was really looking forward to today. Not only because of our coffee time, but because the weather is promising to warm up, and stay that way. At least for the next few days. There’s just something wrong about having to dig out hats and mittens in May. This is by far the coldest Spring I can remember.

Helicpoters

I was browsing through some photos from last year, just before Autumn set in, and wanted to share just a few. I feel so uplifted looking at them.

Sepia tone flowers

There’s hope that good things are to come. Warmer weather. New babies. New homes? That last one may be wishful thinking.

Spring Flowers

Finally, before I refill our cups {would you like to try the French vanilla this time?} I’d tell you that I have less than 12 weeks before baby boy number two enters our lives. I don’t know how that happened. Well, I know how it happened, but I don’t know how time flew by so quickly. Yikes.

Cone flower

So tell me, how was your weekend? How do you feel abut Osama’s death? Did you find out via Facebook just like me? Does anyone out there have a Etsy shop? How long did it take you to set it up?

This post is proudly linked up with Texture Tuesday. The first photo, the coffee mug, was part of this week’s challenge. All of the photos were created using Kim Klassen’s free textures. Which are awesome. Obviously.

1 Miriam May 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Nice post, I agree with the sentiment. Though, I must say, I don’t think he was just killed. I think he died a handfull of years ago, whe it was first announced that he was killed. Buried him at sea? A little too convenient, that no one actually gets to examine the body to make sure. They’ve been saving this “event,” for a time when Obama needed to look better in the public eye. Propaganda.
Sorry, I normally would never discuss polotics, but you asked so I’m sharing my thoughts ~shrug~.
I am glad that he’s gone though.
Have a fabulous day, it was nice sharing.

2 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for sharing your opinion Miriam. I have to say, I never thought about that.

So glad you stopped by today!

3 Kate May 3, 2011 at 5:59 am

Hi Allison, such a lovely photos!!! I’d like a recipe for both the chocolate almond and the French vanilla cream :)
I’m sorry to be such a pessimistic but unfortunately someone else will take Osama’s place and I wouldn’t count on his will for a better world. Their view for a better world is a world where only Muslims are living and only in their own way!!! Sad to say but I just can’t see a better future with those guys…..

4 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I know, I was discussing this with my husband last night. It’s really sad, isn’t it?

You’re in luck, I’m sharing the creamer recipes on Sweet Tooth Friday this week. Stop back ok?

5 Steve May 3, 2011 at 7:24 am

Osama Bin Laden being assassinated?? it’s a good thing i like chocolate so much that i look for blogs and recipes, otherwise it could have taken months before i would have known about it… :)

6 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

LOL, glad you stopped by so I could break the news. Stop by again, I’m almost always sharing recipes with chocolate. Is there any other way to bake?

7 Danielle May 3, 2011 at 7:43 am

love the pictures…the textures….ohhh. :)

8 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Thanks Danielle! I’m a sucker for textures.

9 Elizabeth @ MomReviews May 3, 2011 at 8:24 am

Beautiful photos! I stopped by to congratulate you on being selected as one of the Mega Bloks Moms! I applied but wasn’t chosen and I’m also a member of Team Mom.

I’d like both recipes, please! :)

10 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Thank you Elizabeth! I was so shocked when I found out. My first post will be published on Thursday. Eek!

I’m sharing the recipe for the creamers on this week’s Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope you’ll stop back!

11 Allison May 3, 2011 at 8:28 am

love your coffee shot – i love how you caught the steam!! great job – I wanted to get the steam in my shot – but never managed it :)

12 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I wish I could tell you how I did it, it was a happy accident. Just keep clicking away, it’s bound to happen one day, right?

13 TheKitchenWitch May 3, 2011 at 8:37 am

YES to the homemade creamer recipe!

And it’s kind of a tenuous time, that’s for sure. I’m relieved, but I know that this thing is far from over.

14 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm

It seems that everyone wants the recipe. I’ll be posting it on this week’s Sweet Tooth Friday. Stop back!

15 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust May 3, 2011 at 9:11 am

I will try both creamers, thank you! Yum! I too think it’s time he was gone from this world and I also feel somewhat uncomfortable with the celebration. It makes me remember what they do over there when something bad happens here. A friend of mine posted this quote on Facebook that I thought was perfect:

“I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not
rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate
multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of
stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate
cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr

16 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Love this quote, a few of my friends posted it on facebook as well.

Stop back on Friday, I’ll be sharing the creamer recipe on Sweet Tooth Friday.

17 KLZ May 3, 2011 at 10:02 am

Hey – is it actually warming up by you? Because I’m still freezing even though things are starting to turn green.

18 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm

No! It’s still cold. We were promised 50′s today and sunning. So far it’s cloudy, SNOWY and cold. Grrr.

19 Jade @ Tasting Grace May 3, 2011 at 10:04 am

I agree with your sentiment. From what I’ve read, there isn’t a clear leader to step up in bin Laden’s place. Ayman al Zawahiri, the second in the command, is not well-liked, and from what I understand, al Qaeda appears to be fracturing and splintering. While of course that means they can still engage in terrorism and violence, I think there is something a least positive in the fact that there is a lack of clear leadership and no strong, central, galvanizing force. Someone may rise in time, but so far there doesn’t appear to be a clear #2 to step in his place.

20 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I agree, that is a good thing. Let’s how that it continues to fracture and weaken over time.

21 Linda Makiej May 3, 2011 at 10:26 am

Wonderful composition and texture work here!

22 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Thank you Linda! I’m so glad that you stopped by.

23 Jamie May 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I cannot believe you only have 12 weeks left. Your pregnancy is flying by (at least for me). I’m waiting, patiently, for warmer weather. It seems like we’ll get a day that’s a teaser and then we freeze again.

24 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Me too. Actually it seemed to go really slow and now all of a sudden it’s almost over. I’m sharing some belly pics tomorrow.

25 Christy D. May 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm

As always your pictures are beautiful!

I am glad to be rid of the evil that OBL brought into this world, but I don’t feel right celebrating a death.

I love the idea of making your own creamer! Yum!

26 Allison May 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thank you Christy! Stop by again on Friday, I’ll share the creamer recipes.

27 Aimee May 4, 2011 at 7:36 am

I can’t wait for the creamer recipe! I had never thought to make my own. I’m so excited that you will be sharing this!!! Thanks :)
-Aimee