Lemon Bars

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on June 30, 2011

Popsicles. Watermelon. And all things lemon. That’s what it’s is all about. That’s what the 4th of July is about. Actually, I think that’s all you need in the summer. Well, maybe a grill too, for some chicken kabobs. Oh wait, you also need ice cream sandwiches and some strawberry shortcake. But that’s it. That’s all you need.

I think. I’ll get back to you on that one.

Anyway, it isn’t summer without something lemony. This year I’ve been crazy for lemonade. I don’t know if it’s the sweetness of it, the tartness, or the little bits of pulp floating around, but when I’m craving it, I have to have it. Or I will die. Or shrivel up like a raisin until I’m watered with lemonade. That’s the only thing that will fix it.

Ahem. Anyway. I haven’t yet tackled making my own lemonade, mainly because I don’t have a juicer or lemon squeezer, or whatever it is that they are called. And if I’m going to make lemonade, it’s going to be with fresh lemons.

So instead, I return to one of my favorite recipes from my mom. Some of the best recipes come from mom, don’t they? Yes, yes they do.

Lemon Bars

This recipe is so simple. So full with sweet, tangy, tart flavor. So perfect for a hot, summer afternoon, when even a cookie won’t do, because you just need something refreshing.

Best served at room temperature, or cold, with a dusting of powered sugar. These golden yellow gems are the perfect dessert for a 4th of July picnic, grill out, or really just any time that you are craving lemon.

Lemon Bars

Lemon Bars

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 60 minutes

Yield: 36 bars

Lemon Bars

A light, summery dessert for those hot summer days or Fourth of July parties. A favorite recipe from my childhood.

Crust
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • Filling
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh or bottled
  • 4 tablespoons flour

Crust
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, powdered sugar and melted butter.
  3. Press into an ungreased 9x13 pan.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes, until the edges are just starting to turn a golden brown.
  5. Filling
  6. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until combined.
  7. Add in granulated sugar, lemon juice and flour, whisking until smooth.
  8. Pour over baked crust and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the center is set.
  9. Cool completely in the pan. Cut and dust with powered sugar just before serving.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog and/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is below and in the side bar}.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!
  4. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter, or like me on Facebook.
  5. Stop by again on Saturday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

This post is proudly linked up to Mondays: Mouthwatering MondaysMade By You MondaySimply Share It, Mingle Monday Tuesdays: Tuesdays and the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday,Tasty TuesdayIt’s a Blog PartyTip Junkie Wednesdays: Show and TellWorks for Me WednesdayThis Chick Cooks Thursdays: Ultimate Recipe Swap, It’s a Keeper ThursdaysStrut Your StuffFull Plate Thursdays Thrilling ThursdayChic & Crafty PartyRecipes to Run On Fridays: I’m Loving It, Foodie FridayGrocery Cart ChallengeFood on FridaysFriday Pot LuckWalnut Avenue: Foodie Friday Saturdays:Sweets for a Saturday Sundays: So Sweet SundayNifty Thrifty Sunday

1 Heather @girlichef June 30, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Oh my gosh, Lemon Bars are one of my MAJOR weaknesses…I can’t say no to one. Ever! These sound delicious. Thanks so much for hosting :)

2 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies June 30, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Those lemon bars look so deliciously sweet and pretty. I had a week filled with sweets so I linked up with the winner of my choc chip cookie quest, Bill’s Big Carrot Cake, and a Pineapple Cream Pie.

3 Chels R. June 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm

My mom was just saying today how she thinks she would like a Lemon Bar, lol! And most of my best recipes come from my mom too :) Have a Happy 4th of July :)

4 Jerri July 1, 2011 at 12:45 am

I love lemon bars! These look good! Thanks for hosting!

5 Katie @ This Chick Cooks July 1, 2011 at 6:01 am

Thanks for hosting, Alli! I shared some “watermelon” desserts. Happy 4th!
katie

6 Julie July 1, 2011 at 6:58 am

These look delicious! Thanks for hosting! Enjoy your 4th of July.

7 Kitchen Belleicious July 1, 2011 at 7:04 am

Lemon bars are my grandmother’s ultimate favorite dessert to make in the summer. She is no longer with us but I make these all the time in her memory! I love your recipe!

8 Aimee @ ShugarySweets July 1, 2011 at 7:11 am

Hi Alli,
Thanks for hosting. Those lemon bars look delish! Have a happy and safe 4th of July!
Aimee

9 Cares and Mimi July 1, 2011 at 8:53 am

Hi Alli – I love lemon bars and these look so good. Have a wonderful 4th 😉 – Cares

10 Crystal & Co July 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

Those look amazing!

11 Lorraine July 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Lemon Bars are always so delicious! They look so tempting :)

12 Kristen @ Motherese July 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Oh my goodness, those look so delicious, Allison! My mother-in-law makes delicious lemon squares and I can almost taste them reading your recipe.

A random aside: I was totally obsessed with lemonade during all three of my pregnancies. I wonder if there’s something biological to it. :)

13 Allison July 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm

There must be! That’s my excuse for guzzling the stuff anyway.

14 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) July 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Mmm- lemon bars! I haven’t had a lemon bar in ages- it’s time to make some for sure!
I shared my recipe for Dairy Free Chocolate Ice Cream today. It tastes beyond amazing and nobody that has tasted it believes that it is dairy free.
Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful 4th of July!

15 brooke @B & the boy! July 1, 2011 at 8:15 pm

The monkey and I adore lemon bars. I have to figure out how to make them for him soon. :) Linking up a new frozen yogurt recipe! :)

16 Betsy July 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Oh yum! I love lemon bars. Yours look wonderful!

17 Mary July 5, 2011 at 7:49 am

I LOVE lemon bars!! Love them!! I will be giving your recipe a try. I am your newest follower. I found you through Beaty and Bedlam’s Tasty Tuesday Link-up.

18 Sherry July 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Lemon bars are one of our favorites! It doesn’t stay in our house long at all.

19 carolinaheartstrings July 6, 2011 at 7:45 am

What a wonderful refreshing looking dessert. Great pictures as always.

20 Georgia July 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

ok this is an awesome site!!! never had even heard of this meme!! can’t wait to partcipate next friday :0) btw just pulled my lemon bars out of the oven. ironic right? totally agree nothing is better on a hot summer day than lemon bars :0)

21 Vanessa July 8, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hmmm.. Yummy!!
Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week as well!
xoxo,
Vanessa

22 Miz Helen July 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Hi Allison,
Great looks Lemon bars and you linky party has lots of goodies! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
Miz Helen

23 Lesli @ A Healthy Kitchen July 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm

These look so decadent and yummo that I pinned you to Pinterest! Thanks for sharing!

24 Allison July 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Thanks so much for pinning on Pinterest!

25 ps2 emulator mac December 14, 2013 at 3:28 am

Huge version never held much heat in them while the slim version heats up fast.
There is a free disc available from Netflix or an update through the Playstation PS3
network that you can use to stream Netflix instant movies.
Plus, since it comes right above L1 and R1 buttons, switching between the four
forward-facing buttons invariably does up with your fingers scraping the bottom of
the keypad.

26 Heidi January 14, 2014 at 8:08 am

Wow, that’s what I was looking for, what a material! existing here at this blog, thanks admin of this website.

27 surgeon simulator 2013 download January 20, 2014 at 10:55 am

Your style is very unique compated to other folks I’ve read stuff
from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just
book mark this blog.

28 wordpress.com January 24, 2014 at 4:19 am

Good blog you havve gott here.. It’s difficult
to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I really
appreciate ijdividuals like you! Take care!!

29 Estela April 26, 2014 at 8:43 am

I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me.
Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end?
I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

30 Fannie September 23, 2014 at 6:38 am

I pay a visit everyday a few web pages and websites to read articles, except this webpage offers
feature based posts.

31 identity protection December 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm

What’s up mates, good article and pleasant arguments commented
here, I am truly enjoying by these.