The Pioneer Woman’s Perfect Pizza Crust

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on July 17, 2011

I love to hate the Pioneer Woman. What she can do with food is simply amazing. Not to mention her photography. And her Marlboro Man. Seriously, she is living one charmed life.

A few months ago I picked up a copy of her cook book, The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Totally on a whim. Then it kind of sat on a shelf for a while. Honestly, I was just a little disappointed. I thought it was going to be be filled with recipes, stuff that wasn’t on the blog. Instead there were some recipes, a lot of photos of country life and some stories. Don’t get me wrong, this is much more than just a cook book. It just wasn’t exactly what I expected, especially since I believe that most of these recipes can be found on her blog.

I’m not doing a very good job selling this book am I?

Well, it sat on our cook book shelf for a while. I occasionally drooled over the cinnamon rolls, which I have yet to make. I’ve pulled it out from time to time, especially for the chocolate sheet cake which was used in my Ice Cream Cakerecipe. Then I’d drool a little more over some of the recipes, before popping it back on the shelf.

Until one day recently, when I was craving a new pizza dough recipe. And there, hidden in the depths of The Pioneer Woman Cooks was a little gem of a recipe. Something so simple and basic that I didn’t have high hopes for it. Something so easy that I basically wrote it off as having little to no flavor. Something that so totally caught me by surprise, that it had me singing The Pioneer Woman’s praises all night long. And still do to this very day.

Just four simple ingredients, plus some water, and you get this amazing, crispy, flavorful pizza crust. Flour. Yeast. Olive oil. Salt. That’s all it takes. And it completely knocks your socks off. If you were crazy enough to wear socks in the middle of summer, that is.

Pioneer Woman Pizza Crust

One of the things that I love best about this dough is that it goes both ways: thick or thin, depending on how much of the dough you use. The first few times we used it, we divided it into half, one for pizza and one for cheese fries. The dough was thick, filling, and still crispy. It was full of flavor, and left you feeling fuller than you would have expected. Maybe a little too full.

Finally, we wised up and divided the dough into thirds, freezing the last third for later use. And the result was a perfectly crispy crust. Not too thick. Not too thin. Full of that flavor the Pioneer Woman was brilliant enough to bring out of such simple ingredients.

Again, I’m singing her praise.

So, to continue the pizza series, along with the thin and crispy crust, beer batter crust, whole wheat crust, and easy pizza sauce, I’m bringing you the latest. The Perfect Pizza Crust.

Because I can’t think of any other name as fitting.

Pioneer Woman Pizza Crust

The Pioneer Woman’s Perfect Pizza Crust

The Pioneer Woman’s Perfect Pizza Crust

• 1-1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 teaspoon dry yeast
  • 4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. In a small bowl combine the warm water and yeast. Stir to combine and let sit for a few minutes, until bubbly.
  2. In a medium bowl {or the bowl of a stand mixer}, combine the flour and salt. Using an electric mixer on low, drizzle in the olive oil until just incorporated. Slowly add the yeast/water mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough forms a ball {you may need to use your hands to help incorporate all of the flour}.
  3. Spray the mixing bowl with non-stick spray, and place the dough inside. Spray the top of the dough lightly with the non-stick spray, then cover with plastic wrap.
  4. Let the dough sit in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled. Or, if you are like me, let it sit all afternoon long, punching down the dough as it creeps to the top of the bowl.
  5. You can also store the dough in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
  6. Preheat the oven to 500º F. Divide the dough in half if you want thicker crust, or thirds if you want thinner crust. Freeze any extra dough for later use.
  7. Using your hands or a small rolling pin, stretch the dough on a pizza stone or baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray to the desired shape and thickness. Do not over work the dough.
  8. Add your desired sauce, cheese and toppings.
  9. Bake at 500º on the lowest rack in your oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges of the crust are a golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

1 Kitchen Belleicious July 18, 2011 at 6:53 am

I haven’t tried this yet and I didn’t even know she had a pizza crust recipe but I love PW to pieces so I know this is amazing! Yeah for me- I love making pizzas

2 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

You MUST try it. It’s so easy.

3 nella July 18, 2011 at 10:55 am

that is grate! the pizza looks delicious! thanks for the easy recipee yummmmmmm

4 Jessica July 18, 2011 at 11:05 am

Oh, this looks so, so yummy! I love pizza, so I am dying to give this a try!

5 carolinaheartstrings July 18, 2011 at 11:33 am

Great post. Love your pictures. I cannot wait to make a pizza!

6 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Thank you! I was hoping the thumbnail tutorial would be helpful.

7 Why Can't Wheat Be Friends? July 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm

You mention mixing flour & salt but I dont see how much salt listed in the ingredient list…
-Cara

8 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Oops, you were correct, I forgot to add that. I’ve updated the recipe, it was 1 teaspoon.

9 Why Can't Wheat Be Friends? July 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm

thanks! I have a gluten free version of this rising on my counter right now.. it looks promising as it looks and feels like dough! (not always the case with gluten free)
I had to put a few drops of honey in with my water & yeast cause my active yeast would not bubble at all with just the water.
If it turns out i’ll be doing a blog post and link back to your post :)
- Cara

10 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Awesome! I hope you loved it!

11 lin November 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Ditto with my yeast…so I added a teaspoon of white sugar but honey would have been a fine alternative. Dough is rising as I type…looks VERY promising!!!

12 Aimee @ ShugarySweets July 18, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Yum, I love homemade pizza and crust. Looks spectacular. I have yet to buy the cookbook, I love PW blog and recipes, but assumed most of the recipes in the cookbook are on her blog. I hear she is writing another cookbook! AMazing talent.

13 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Yes, you are correct, most of the recipes are on her blog. It is nice to have them in book-format though.

14 Joy July 19, 2011 at 7:27 am

Ummm! This sounds sooo good. Love the PW, too. Think we’ll have this for supper tonight! Thanks for posting.
XoXoXo
Joy @ tomorrow’s memories

15 Christina July 19, 2011 at 10:18 am

Your pizza looks amazing! I tried PW’s crust the first time I ever made pizza and I think I might have messed it up somehow b/c it turned out to be the texture of pastry dough, not pizza dough. I will have to try it again b/c usually her recipes are the best.

16 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Oh yes, try it again. It really shouldn’t be like pastry dough.

17 jan July 20, 2011 at 6:26 am

After my total FAILURE this past Sunday on a pizza crust (new to me recipe) I’m thankful to pull another one to try. That’s all I want, a simple crust, with flavor! :) Thanks for sharing … btw, cheese fries? As in cheese sticks? Can you share?

18 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Yup, I will share my cheese fries/cheese sticks/pizza fries recipe. I’ve heard them called so many different things!

19 Susan July 20, 2011 at 8:00 am

Your pizza looks delicious. To me, it’s all about the crust. Thin and crispy is what I like and this does look like a wonderful recipe to try – when it cools down a bit.

20 Crystal & Co July 20, 2011 at 12:07 pm

1) I have her cookbook and love story bio.
2) I love this recipe and have personally used it before.
3) Your photography, as usual, is beautiful!
4) I would love for you to linkup and share this on my new Wednesday meme http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/07/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions/

21 Elsa July 21, 2011 at 7:19 am

I’m not a huge fan of flavor in my pizza crust, so I would like this as well. It’s actually similar to my current pizza recipe, but I add just a touch of sugar. I tried adding garlic, oregano, all kinds of different things and I was surprised that my family preferred the plain version. I think it lets the toppings stand out better. And I love your pics! I envy the amount of light you have in your kitchen!!

22 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I really have to time the photos right, otherwise our kitchen is pretty dark. Photoshop helps me out when I need it to, though.

23 bj July 21, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’ve not cooked one thing from her that wasn’t over the top good. Can’t wait to try this.
Your pics are really great, too. :)
xo bj

24 Allison @ Alli 'n Son July 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Thank you bj!

25 roz @ 'la bella vita' July 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Allison, You’ve answered a prayer for my pizza loving family! Thanks so much! I hope that you’ll stop by and kindly share this pizza crust recipe over on Fresh Food Friday or Seasonal Saturday where 8 posts are shared each week! I’d love to have you join us! Now following ya too!

26 Nicole Feliciano July 22, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I found you from the Tasty Tuesday linky–the photo drew me in! I’ve made some crusts in the past but have never found one worth the trouble. Thanks for sharing this. I hope you’ll take a moment and share them over at Momtrends’ Friday Food Linky. We’re always on the hunt for scrumptious treats!

27 Miz Helen July 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm

We are always looking for a different pizza to try and this crust looks really good. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and please come back soon!
Miz Helen

28 Pat July 13, 2013 at 11:11 am

I wish my antique oven would heat to 500 degrees, but it just won’t get past 400. Still good, but not crispy like I wish it was!

29 Patricia C. Gallo July 19, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I love this easy pizza dough recipe…its 99 degrees today but I just made a batch….gonna grill it tonight…I also love your show and cookbooks…big fan!!!

30 karyl August 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm

i love her too. :)

31 Daniel August 11, 2014 at 5:39 am

For those who need a lower temp. 15-17 minutes at 375 works great too! Made this last night, yum!