Sweet Tooth Friday: Chocolate Chip Scones with Espresso Glaze

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on August 25, 2011

I shared this post a few weeks ago with Frosting for the Cause, but it’s an important one to me, so I wanted to share it here, in this space, too. Please stop over and check out Frosting for the Cause, a great little blog that is dedicated to raising money for either the Canadian or American Cancer Society, specifically for cancers that affect only women. It’s a great cause and I encourage you to stop over and sign up to share a recipe, donate some baked goods, and give a little money.

——————————

I’m surrounded by people in my family who have fought cancer. My father-in-law. My grandmother on my Dad’s side. My grandmother on my Mom’s side. My mom. My uncle. When I lay it all out like that, it’s pretty overwhelming how much cancer has touched my life.

Most of the people on this list were lucky. Most fought and survived. Some fought, hard valiant fights, but the cancer was too much.

My grandmother, on my mom’s side, was diagnosed with breast cancer over 10 years ago. The exact number of years escapes me at the moment. Her breast cancer was brought on by hormone-replacement therapy. She went through chemo. She lost her hair. She lost one breast.

I remember as her treatments came to an end, how her hair grew back. I remember when it was super short and spiky. I remember the wigs she wore before that. I remember being scared as she went through treatment. I was only in high school at the time. I remember my mom being scared and wondering if breast cancer was in her future. I remember wondering that too.

But she fought. She survived. She’s now in her 80′s, a great-grandmother. An energetic great-grandmother who still insists on having playdates with my three-year old son. I’m oh so grateful that he has the opportunity to know her, to create memories with her. I’m oh so grateful that she survived.

Chocolate Chip Scones

My grandmother, she’s one of the strongest women that I know. She’s a baker from long ago, and I think some of her passion was passed down to me. I’ve always loved to bake, but over the last couple of years it’s taken on a life of it’s own. I’m more confident in my skills and my ability to modify recipes. I’m more experimental and I’m not afraid of something that will take hours to create. Baking is my way to unwind, re-energize, and a creative outlet.

I volunteered for Frosting for the Cause not only because it’s an amazing cause, but for all of the people in my life who have been touched my cancer. Especially my grandma, whose warm heart and oven have been such an important presence in my life.

Chocolate Chip and Cranberry Scones with Espresso Glaze

Chocolate Chip and Cranberry Scones with Espresso Glaze

The best way to start your day, a dense chocolate scone with a touch of coffee flavor.

Chocolate Chip Scones
  • 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (12 ounce bag) chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 cups whipping cream, chilled
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Espresso Glaze
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons hot water
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Chocolate Chip Scones
  1. Preheat the oven to 375º F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Stir together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
  3. Stir in whipping cream, until just moistened.
  4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently until a soft dough ball forms. This takes about 2 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough into three balls. Flatten each ball into a 7-inch circle and cut into 8 triangles.
  6. Transfer to the prepared cookie sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter.
  7. Bake at 375ºF for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Drizzle with espresso glaze (recipe below).
  8. Espresso Glaze
  9. Mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Add more powdered sugar if the glaze is too thin, more water if it is too thick. Using a spoon, drizzle over warm scones.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog and/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!
  4. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter, or like me on Facebook.
  5. Stop by again on Saturday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

Code for the button is in the side bar.

1 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! August 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

A very touching post. Cancer has not made it’s way into my life as of yet. I don’t know what I would do if a close family member were to have it. Makes me think of how precious life is!

2 Aimee @ ShugarySweets August 26, 2011 at 6:08 am

What a great story, you write so well. The scones look so good, I’m bookmarking this now! Thanks for sharing- everything.
Aimee

3 Allison @ Alli 'n Son August 30, 2011 at 4:36 am

Thank you Amy. I hope you have a chance to try them, they are wonderful.

4 Christina August 26, 2011 at 7:07 am

A very touching story with wonderful looking scones. Thanks for hosting. Have a wonderful weekend!

5 Katie @ This Chick Cooks August 26, 2011 at 7:47 am

How awesome for your son to get to know his great grandma! Your scones look great!

6 Allison @ Alli 'n Son August 30, 2011 at 4:38 am

That is by far one of the best things. He loves his great grandparents and I love that he’s creating wonderful memories with them.

7 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles August 26, 2011 at 8:17 am

Cancer. Such an ugly monster. I’m sorry to hear you have had to deal with so much of it in your life. I hadn’t lost anyone close to me until last year, when my cousin/friend died of breast cancer. Now I have an aunt, one of my very favorites, who just went on hospice care last week after breast cancer resurfaced from 20 years ago.

Your scones look wonderful – I love the cranberries with the chocolate. And that espresso glaze looks like something I would be licking from the bowl!

8 Allison @ Alli 'n Son August 30, 2011 at 4:39 am

It is an ugly, ugly thing. I’m sorry to hear that breast cancer has impacted your life so much recently. Hugs to you.

9 BrandyK August 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

What a nice post. I’m so sorry that cancer has touched the lives of your loved ones. Thank you for hosting this linky party, I look forward to it every week. I linked up Strawberries and Cream cupcakes this week.

10 Bibi August 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Very touching post and wonderful cause. My beautiful MIL lost her fight with breast cancer before she had the chance to be the best grandma to my boys….so fight against cancer is very close to my heart.

This is my first time at your blog and participating in your Sweet Tooth Friday…..I am sharing my Chestnut Truffles and I am following you everywhere as well.

Thank you for hosting. Can’t wait to check out most of these mouth watering desserts….

11 Allison @ Alli 'n Son August 30, 2011 at 4:54 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your MIL. Gramorhers are such a wonderful part of kids lives, I’m sorry yours had to miss that.

But, I am glad that you made your way to my blog. I hope to see you again soon!

12 carolinaheartstrings August 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Wow what a wonderful looking frosting for anything. Scones, cookies, brownies, burgers, chips…..oh heavens sorry. Delicious.

13 yvette August 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm

A beautifully written post, and one close to my heart – cancer does touch all of us in one way or another…I too have done a related post today..the hardest cancer is that, that is rare, unknown and encases your world into a deep. black emptiness. I’ve been coping with the loss of my father and that’s the hardest part of his death. The unknown…I’ve put some brightness of yellow into my post for Daffodil Day.
Your cookies and espresso glaze looks delicious. Heartfelt hugs, Yvette

14 Allison @ Alli 'n Son August 30, 2011 at 4:57 am

Oh Yvette, I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m sending many hugs your way.

15 Patty August 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Those scones look amazing & delicious! Need to try the recipe. Thanks for hosting!

16 Betsy August 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Oh, I should have know these yummy scones were on your blog! :) I want one right now! yum!

17 Create With Joy August 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

OMG did I pick the wrong weekend to stop by, lol! Your scones look AMAZING – and here I am trying to be HEALTHY! And then, all of the temptations on this week’s linky? Have a great weekend, you temptress, you! :-)

Ramona

P.S. I’m hosting a nice giveaway – be sure to check it out! :-)

18 Allison @ Alli 'n Son August 30, 2011 at 4:59 am

Friday is definitely not a diet-friendly day here, that’s for sure!

19 brighteyedbaker August 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I bookmarked this recipe because I’m a sucker for chocolate and these scones look SOOOO good. Thanks for sharing them :)

20 Allison @ Alli 'n Son August 30, 2011 at 5:01 am

I’d love to hear what you think, stop by and let me know if you have a chance to make them.

21 Trisha August 30, 2011 at 1:39 am

Great scones, I’ve saved this recipe, I’d love to try them out!

22 Morsels of Life August 31, 2011 at 11:21 am

Those scones look amazing & delicious. I’ve been meaning to make scones for a while now, and I think these just might be the ones!

23 Miz Helen September 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm

All your sweet goodies look so delicious! Hope you have a wonderful holiday week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come back soon!
Miz Helen

24 brighteyedbaker September 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Alright, I’m back, and I made these with some adaptations. But, the base of the recipe is the same, and I really liked these! I found that the scones had a nice texture to them and they puffed up really nicely. Thanks for the great recipe!

25 Michael Kors Bags August 5, 2013 at 10:44 am

Designer Michael Kors Outlet launched his women’s wear line at Saks Fifth Avenue and Harrods and through its own company-operated shops. We continue to focus on developing our brand in this region. Rackspace Hosting Inc ‘s ARRY fiscal fourth-quarter loss
as the health-products company booked significant acquisition-related charges and higher amortization expenses, although results beat the company’s expectations. Also stunning was Tina Fey, who spoke onstage in a long-sleeved gold lace dress, and Naomi Watts get to rub shoulders with the capital’s finest President
Barack Obama.

26 Kelsey August 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Spiritual christian louboutin shoes or boots
sporting women an important part of your ensemble: If
you have purchased varied other shoes and boots. It’s probably one of the ‘All
Time 100 Fashion Icons’ by Time Magazine. Since 1983, the Louis Vuitton Cup.

27 parajumpers price August 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

Both are sons of former Parajumpers Norge quarterback Oliver Luck who played for
the Giants organisation. Year after year, it s clear that there is still
one of the parajumpers norge’s pantheon for 14 years and had a 20-year career as a linebacker, an” incredibly violent position”. TrailblazersAt least a couple of time. Derry, under then new manager Damien Cassidy, had a touchdown catch among four receptions for 52 yards. No matter what Jim Irsay says or what the score was following the hit.