Kid-Friendly Recipes: Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on September 6, 2011

Last weekend I decided to brave the crazy Labor Day weekend grocery stores. We had zero food in the house. Desperate times, you know?  So we packed up the kids, I left hubs and the kiddo at Barnes and Noble to play and headed to the store with the little man.

Did I mention that it was raining? Like a total down pour. Like get the ark ready kind of rain.

I pull into the parking lot, thinking that I’d wait it out. I hadn’t yet assembled my Moby-Style Wrap, which I use to carry the little man just about anytime we leave the house. I didn’t want to end up drentched as I attempted to wrap him to myself. So I thought and thought and thought. Until brillance struck.

I’d simply get the wrap ready, crawl from the the front seat to the back seat, squeeze myself in between the two car seats, put the little man in the wrap, then quickly exit from the back of the car and high tail it to the store.

See? Brilliant.

This is exactly what I did. Except I failed to remember that Hubs had recently turned on the child safety locks. Which meant that while I could open the doors from outside of the car, I could not open them from inside the car. Which is now where I sat, the little man wrapped to my body. Trapped.

So what did I do? What any good mom would do. I half slid and then fell into the drivers seat. I swung my legs into the passenger seat and then shimmied the rest of my body over. From there I very casually exited the car and made a mad dash to the store.

I’m pretty sure that no one saw this clever escape. It’s not like people were sitting in their cars, waiting out the rain. It’s not like half of the parking lot was filled. It’s not like most of the store witnessed my ballerina-like moves on the car.

Oh wait. That’s exactly what it’s like.

The lengths we go for our kids.

Take for instance trying to mix up the normal PBJ routine. Lunch time can be such a bore, making the same sandwiches day and day after day. I don’t care that the kiddo loves PBJ, I’m tired of making them!

I thought I’d try something new. Apples and peanut butter are pretty awesome together, so why not make a sandwich out if that? The bread is swapped out for thinly sliced apples, smothered with peanut butter, topped with Craisins and drizzled with honey. All finished off with another apple.

Peanut Butter Apple Sandwiches

Take that PBJ.

Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches

• Apple, Granny Smith is a favorite at our house
  • Peanut Butter
  • Craisins or Raisins
  • Honey
  • Other Ideas
  • Nutella
  • Cream Cheese
  • Granola or Oats
  • Mini Chocolate Chips

1. Thinly slice the apples, with or with the skin, about 1/4" thick. Using a small sharp knife, cut out the seeds in each slice.
  2. Top one apple slice with peanut butter
  3. Top with Craisins
  4. Drizzle with honey
  5. Top with another slice of apple

{ 29 comments }

1 Katelyn September 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm

LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing. I will be making these for my son this week :)

2 Kitchen Belleicious September 7, 2011 at 7:21 am

I can so see my son scarfing this down. genius idea and can’t wait to try it!

3 Lisa September 7, 2011 at 7:26 am

What a cute and healthy idea!

4 Amy @ A Little Nosh September 7, 2011 at 10:49 am

OMG, I’m cracking up! I’ve gotten myself stuck in the backseat before too, but my son was a bit older. It was pouring so I sat in the backseat with the door closed while I strapped him into his carseat (his seat’s in the middle). I got him all set and went to get out of the car and I was stuck. Somehow I maneuvered myself over the middle console and into the front seat, scaring the crap out of myself as I leaned on the horn by accident and didn’t realize it was me. I thought someone was honking at me. And then I clipped my son with my foot. Not quite a kick, but you’d never have known that by his reaction. LOL!

5 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 9, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Oh man, that is hilarious!!

6 Paula September 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Glad you were able to extricate yourself and the baby from the car’s back seat, to the front and safely out the door into the store! Love that Dad was playing in Barnes & Noble oblivious to what you were going through.

These healthy apple snacks are great.

7 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm

He thought the story was pretty hilarious too

8 Christina Williams September 8, 2011 at 12:35 pm

This is such a cute idea! Great spin on a traditional snack!

9 Meg's Everyday Indulgence September 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm

What a cute idea! I am bookmarking this for when my little guy is old enough! Thanks so much for sharing!

10 June Scott September 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Love apples and peanut butter, what a great idea to use the apples as the “bread!” Thanks for sharing your story, Alli. Keeping it real!

11 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm

We all do stupid things, right? It’s fun to share those moments and get a laugh out of others.

12 Miz Helen September 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

I just love these precious and healthy little treats, I want one too! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come back soon!
Miz Helen

13 annie September 11, 2011 at 4:34 am

You can make peanut butter and apple sandwiches by using shredded apples in place of jam…….just another idea.

14 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm

That’s a great idea Annie!

15 Stephanie September 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Isn’t a lovely idea? I saw it on another blogger’s site last fall, I think. My only edit it to lightly coat the apple in lemon juice so they don’t brown. I now make them with cucumbers and carrots, too.

16 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Great idea Stephanie. I’ll have to try it with cucumbers, my son just learned to love them.

17 Sher September 12, 2011 at 8:20 am

My mom used to cut up an apple into slices and then glue it back together with peanut butter and raisins – back in my lunches in my elementary school days (a long long time ago). It was one of my favortie snacks – but I like the flat circle shapes you use – so easy to hold. I think I’ll have one for myself today!

18 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

How fun! I like that she called it “gluing” them back together.

19 Suzanne September 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

All I can say is YUM!

20 Mary Kathryn September 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm

oooo…what a yummy snack! And I think my kids would totally eat this up. Thanks for sharing! I’m visiting from TipJunkie.

21 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Thanks for stopping by Mary Kathryn!

22 Carrie @ My Favorite Finds September 13, 2011 at 8:12 am

That is hilarious. I love your recipe, too. I also hate to grocery shop in the rain, especially when I need to take the children! By the way, we used your Beer Battered Pizza Dough recipe this past Sunday, and we love it! We actually used it on the grill, and it grilled great.

23 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Yay! I’m so glad that you liked it. We haven’t tried that dough on the grill yet, it’s good to hear that it worked well for you.

24 jo@blog-diggidy September 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

what a cute yet healthy idea….i eat a gluten and (refined) sugar-free diet, so this would be a great idea for me!! thnx! :)

25 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I’m so glad you like it! Stop by again tomorrow, I have a recipe for Nutella coming that will work for you too.

26 kathryn September 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm

this is a fantastic idea! perfect for kids. I just may use this in a future round up. I’ve pinned it and will keep it on hand and let you know. I’m a new follower!

kathryn

27 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Thanks so much Kathryn! It’s great to meet a new follower.

28 angie September 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

this sounds like a wonderful treat

29 Janna September 25, 2011 at 1:29 am

Yummy! Thanks for posting!!! :)

Comments on this entry are closed.