Sweet Tooth Friday: Brown Butter and Ginger Ale Apple Dumplings

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on September 15, 2011

It’s actually a very sad day for me today. You see, fall is here. One day we had temperatures of 85 and the next it was 55. The trees are beginning to turn colors, promising to explode in color in the weeks to come.

It’s a sad, sad, sad time.

But, not because of the changing seasons. Not because of the cooler temperatures.

It’s sad because the apple orchards are STILL not open. It will be over a week before you will find me tromping through the threes, the little man wrapped to my body, the kiddo skipping behind me, hubs attempting to hold onto all of the apples we’ve picked along the way.

I can not wait to go apple picking. Can. Not. Wait. I can taste the apple cider. I can see the apple pies. I can smell the fresh apple dumplings baking in their sweet, cinnamon sauce.

Oh wait, I can smell it because I just had a batch baking in the oven. The sweet, sweet apples, cinnamon, butter and brown sugar. Oh. My. Can you smell it too?

Take a deep breath…there, do you smell it now? Heavenly.

September 17th is National Apple Dumpling Day and I’m celebrating just a little early. I couldn’t wait.

Browned Butter Apple Dumplings

Even though I’m not able to enjoy a freshly hand-picked apple yet, that isn’t stopping me from whipping up some apple dumplings. Because some things are just too good to wait for.

Browned Butter Apple Dumplings

You can bet that after we’ve tromped out to the apple orchard and had our fill of apple goodies, we’ll head back home and indulge in yet another apple dumpling. When those cinnamon cravings hit, and they hit often this time of the year, the only thing to do is make some sweet apple dumplings.

Don’t you agree?

Browned Butter and Ginger Ale Apple Dumplings

Browned Butter and Ginger Ale Apple Dumplings

• 2 large or 4 small Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
  • 2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
  • 1 cup browned butter
  • 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup ginger ale

Browned Butter
  1. Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Cut the butter and add it to the pan, whisking as you go so it doesn't burn. The butter will foam up, then subside. Let the butter cook, whisking often. Tiny brown flecks will begin to form at the bottom of the pan, and then the butter will turn a golden brown and smell nutty. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter into a dish, so it stop cooking. Let cool.
  2. Apple Dumplings
  3. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
  4. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with butter-flavored nonstick spray.
  5. Cut the apples into 16 wedges (4-8 wedges an apple, depending on how many you are using) and set aside.
  6. Open the two cans of crescent roll dough and separate into triangles, 16 total.
  7. Wrap one crescent roll triangle around each apple wedge. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
  8. Stir together the browned butter, sugars, cinnamon and vanilla. Pour over the apple dumplings, spooning over the top of the dumplings.
  9. Pour ginger ale over the dumplings.
  10. Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the dumplings. Bake for another 15-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
  11. Enjoy hot, at room temperature or cold. They are delicious at any temperature. Especially with a giant scoop of cinnamon ice cream.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog and/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!
  4. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter, or like me on Facebook.
  5. Stop by again on Saturday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

Code for the button is in the side bar.

• No Related Posts

{ 40 comments }

1 Carolinaheartstrings September 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm

What a delicious recipe. It is apple time in the carolinas. Come visit us this week we have some great recipes.

2 Jennifer September 15, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I was just thinking about all our fun trips to Helene’s and how I can’t wait for us all to go back there again!! Your recipe looks delish!

3 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:41 am

They open this weekend! I can’t wait to go back.

4 Robin September 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I’ve made them before…but with Mt. Dew. It makes me want to make them again!

5 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:42 am

I heard sprite works as well. They are SO good.

6 Liz@HoosierHomemade September 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Yum! Now I’m hungry…again :-)
Thanks for hosting!!
~Liz

7 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:42 am

If you are hungry, then my job is done. 😉

8 Michelle September 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

these looks wonderful! thanks for hosting! :-)

9 Hezzi-D September 16, 2011 at 5:10 am

I feel your pain! I woke up this morning to 39 degrees-BRRR! Your brown butter and gingerale apple dumplings looks so delicious. I recently cooked a peach dessert with sprite and loved it, so I’m guessing cooking it with the gingerale would yield the same results.

10 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:43 am

I’ve heard sprite is also good. Mountain Dew too. I’ll have to try it with peaches.

11 Aimee @ ShugarySweets September 16, 2011 at 6:09 am

Alli,
I can’t wait as well. Your dumplings look divine. Yum!

12 Trooppetrie September 16, 2011 at 6:45 am

I make these using mountain dew instead of ginger ale. i love them

13 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:44 am

I’ve heard Sprite works just as well.

14 Kitchen Belleicious September 16, 2011 at 7:13 am

Apple dumplings. Can you get any more comforting than that? Absolutely hands down one of my favorites from you. It looks amazing and can’t wait to make this for my parents who are visiting in a few weeks

15 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:45 am

Enjoy! Let me know what everyone thinks of them.

16 Miz Helen September 16, 2011 at 8:07 am

Hi Alli,
Your Dumplings look delicious, yummy! I am sharing my Sopapilla’s today. Hope you are having a great day and thanks for hosting.
Miz Helen

17 Mrs. Jen B September 16, 2011 at 8:08 am

Oh, I wish I had something to link up but I didn’t do anything sweet this past week! Darn. Anyway, I am soooo glad you came up with the idea to brown the butter – I bet that would take them and make them spectacular (since they’re already amazing as it is)! This is easily one of my favorite desserts.

18 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:46 am

I just love browner butter. I use it in cookies, frosting and cupcakes too.

19 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust September 16, 2011 at 9:00 am

Oh, I too can’t wait for apple picking! We usually go late September or early October but with the long winter we had, who knows. Now if only our weather would cooperate! Cooler today in the 80s, but back in the 90s next week.

20 Christina September 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Apple Picking, that sounds wonderful! I wish we could do that around here! You’re recipe looks so yummy! Thanks for hosting this link up, have a great weekend!

21 Nicole Maxwell September 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm

It feels like a nice crisp fall day here, and it makes me want to make this even more!

This was my first visit to your site and I love it! What a great link up!

22 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:47 am

Thanks for visiting Nicole! I hope to see you again soon.

23 Christina September 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Just took your survey! Thanks again for hosting!

24 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:47 am

Thank you Christina!

25 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:49 am

Oh, to be entered for the gift card I need you to leave a comment on this post: http://wp.me/p1HSsP-25w

26 brighteyedbaker September 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I took your survey and also linked up some scones :)

27 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:50 am

Thank you! Stop by the original post and leave a comment to be entered in the giveaway. http://wp.me/p1HSsP-25w

28 Marelie September 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Hello Allison,
Thanks a lot for hosting and sharing.I havent been here for quite sometime.I brought my My Apple Carrot Muffin.Have a great week to all.

29 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 19, 2011 at 5:51 am

I’m glad you are back! Your muffins sound wonderful.

30 Teri@The Freshman Cook September 16, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I linked up my Apple Pie Bundles today! Thanks for hosting!

31 Ellen September 18, 2011 at 7:30 am

Wow these apple dumplings look AMAZING. I can’t wait to try making them. :)

We would love if you would come by our blog and share this recipe and any other apple recipes with our readers for Sharing Sundays.

Ellen

32 Mika September 20, 2011 at 1:36 am

Oh my! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I can’t wait to try them!

33 Betty September 20, 2011 at 7:20 am

I love this recipe from The Pioneer Woman! I’ve made his several times and everyone just loves it and it couldn’t get any easier. Her recipe calls for Mtn. Dew but I’ve used all kinds of lemon lime soda! Great pictures!

34 Casa de Luna September 21, 2011 at 7:36 am

This looks so good and surprisingly easy. Thanks for sharing. I will add it to Pinterest to make once the orchards open up.

35 Amy @ A Little Nosh September 22, 2011 at 7:53 am

These look divine! Come link them up at my new linky party: http://www.alittlenosh.net/2011/09/inaugural-linky-party.html

36 Donna September 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I bet those are amazing!

37 Miz Helen September 26, 2011 at 10:28 am

Those Dumplings look amazing, so delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

38 Kasy fiskalne - miniaturyzacja October 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

You are so awesome! I don’t think I’ve read through a single thing like that before.
So good to find somebody with some genuine thoughts on this topic.
Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site
is something that is needed on the web, someone with some originality!

39 kasy fiskalne April 11, 2015 at 4:14 am

kasy fiskalne lublin kasy fiskalne sprzedaż koszt kasy fiskalnej kasy fiskalne ruda śląska drukarki fiskalne wrocław
zgłoszenie kasy fiskalnej druk serwis kasy fiskalnej kasy fiskalne dla
dzieci kasy fiskalne dla fryzjerów ceny kas fiskalnych kasyfiskalne kasy fiskalne krosno

40 Shirlėý Sedalnick December 26, 2015 at 10:24 pm

I enjoyed reading your site. Thank you for new Apple ideas. I love cooking with apples and look forward to it each fall if I can get to them before the racoon get them each year.Take care and hope you had a Merry Christmas.God bless. Love, Shirley Sedalnick

Comments on this entry are closed.