Sweet Tooth Friday: Cinnamon Apple Muffins

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on September 22, 2011

Last week my mom dropped off a giant grocery bag full of apples. Not the kind you eat, as they were from a friend’s tree, but the kind you bake with. Which in many cases, is better. Much, much better.

Apples

I couldn’t very well refuse them because it gave me an excuse to bake {as if I need an excuse} and it gave me a reason to try some new recipes.

I immediately turned to my favorite baking site, King Arthur Flour, which has a wonderful selection of recipes. I have only had the chance to make a few recipes from their site, but they have all been amazing. Am-maz-ing. I found the best chocolate chip cookie recipe which I’ve modified to make the best S’mores cookies. Cinnamon scones and cinnamon swirl muffins that put cinnamon rolls to shame. Sourdough English muffins that will convince you to never buy store-bought again. Many of their recipes include whole grain flours, so even though they are indulgent, there is still some redeeming health value.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Today, I’m bringing you my version of King Arthur’s apple muffins. Although not as indulgent as some of the other recipes I’ve tried, the are sweetly perfect, especially when your fridge is overflowing with baking apples. Enjoy these on a cool fall morning, when you have 15 minutes to yourself before the house wakes up, with a cup of steaming coffee in your hands, and a good book or iPad, to keep you company.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Sweet Tooth Friday: Cinnamon Apple Muffins

Sweet Tooth Friday: Cinnamon Apple Muffins

• 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten (or 1 tablespoon ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons water, mix together and left sitting fir a few minutes)
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon vinegar and enough milk to make 1 cup)
  • 2 large apples or 3 small apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 2cups)

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
  2. Spray a muffin tin with butter-flavored nonstick spray or line with muffin liners.
  3. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl mix by hand or with an electric mixer the oil, granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Add the egg (or ground flax seed) and mix well. Alternately add the buttermilk and dry ingredients, mixing between each addition.
  5. Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar on top.
  6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Ready to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday? I only have a few rules:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Link back to my blog and/or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  3. Visit a few of the other blogs. Spread the sweet-love!
  4. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter, or like me on Facebook.
  5. Stop by again on Saturday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

Code for the button is in the side bar.

{ 29 comments }

1 Michaela @ Collecting the Moments September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Your muffins look wonderful! I just discovered Kind Arthur Flour’s recipes, and every one I see looks awesome – the “No Mixing Bowl Needed Chocolate Cake” I posted is their Chocolate Cake-Pan Cake recipe :)
Now I’m going to check out all your KAF recipes you’ve linked to…yum!!

2 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 27, 2011 at 6:20 am

I haven’t tried the chocolate cake recipe yet, but I’m intrigued. Yum!

3 Crystal @Mrs Happy Homemaker September 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Apples that you bake with are much MUCH better if you ask me. Baking with apples it at the top of my favorites list. Yum!

4 Hazel Moon September 23, 2011 at 2:02 am

These muffins look delicious! Thank you for sharing

5 Kitchen Belleicious September 23, 2011 at 7:15 am

And now I know what to do with my bag of apples! Love it and so will my little guy!

6 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 27, 2011 at 6:21 am

:-) Enjoy!

7 Christina September 23, 2011 at 7:31 am

Your Apple Muffins look delish! I love the crumbly tops! Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful weekend!

8 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 27, 2011 at 6:22 am

It’s not a muffin without a crumbly top, is it!

9 Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos September 23, 2011 at 7:45 am

I know what I’m making today! I’ve got a boat load of apples and my kids love muffins! Looks like a wonderful combination!

10 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 27, 2011 at 6:23 am

Enjoy them! Stop back and let me know what you think.

11 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles September 23, 2011 at 8:11 am

I am so making these! That brown sugar topping looks super good, and I’m needing an easy & delicious apple muffin recipe.

12 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 27, 2011 at 6:23 am

Enjoy! Let me know what you think of them.

13 jo@blog-diggidy September 23, 2011 at 9:55 am

if i ate gluten and/or sugar, i would totes be making these, but alas i do not eat either at the moment, but rest assured when i have lost all the weight that i wish to lose, i shall be adding these to the list of whole grain lovelies that i will be partaking of… :)

14 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 27, 2011 at 6:24 am

They would be a wonderful reward after all of your hard work.

15 carolinaheartstrings September 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

Those muffins look wonderful. I love a big bag of apples waiting for a recipe. Come over and visit. We linked up a terrific apple turnover today.

16 Kim September 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

Thanks for hosting! Have a great weekend. :)

Kim @ Little Rays of Sunshine

17 Courtney September 23, 2011 at 10:45 am

I just added this recipe to my wish list. It looks so easy and perfect for a little fall breakfast snack. :)

18 Elsa September 23, 2011 at 11:11 am

Those muffins look delicious!

19 Pat September 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

These muffins look delish! I’m sure they are excellent with a cup of coffee. I posted something sweet today so I’m back! :-) Thanks so much for hosting.
xo
Pat

20 Paula September 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I know I’d love these muffins, for breakfast or anytime. They look delicious, especially with that topping!

21 Allison @ Alli 'n Son September 27, 2011 at 6:27 am

I often have one for lunch with some Greek yogurt and a giant bowl of fruit. Yum!

22 Raina September 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Yum! These muffins look wonderful.

Thank you for the link up….looking forward to checking out the recipes:)

23 Katie @ This Chick Cooks September 23, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Those muffins do look delicious!

24 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles October 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

We just enjoyed these for breakfast. Yum! Thanks, Allison!

25 Courtney October 2, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hi, Alli. Made this earlier this week and it was a hit! Just posted about it, gave you credit, and linked back here. In case you’re interested: http://cookingmisadventures.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/cinnamon-apple-muffins/
Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

26 Corine May 19, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Glutens are added to medications because they are useful as fillers
and as a substance that will either hold the medication together (binder) or thicken it.
If you go gluten-free you are going to avoid the protein gluten. Chef Deb is committed to
making your life better – starting with your baking.

27 Anik's marketing prep March 5, 2015 at 8:04 am

In order to be successful in a home-based business, you must think of this business as a long-term investment.
He or she can also get a good publisher who will undertake the responsibility of publishing the e
– Book. A weak Venus gives though much wealth yet is bad for health of wife, friends, younger sister and matters pertaining to the profession and business.

28 roba avocat March 27, 2015 at 11:28 am

I think the admin of this web page is genuinely working hard in support of
his website, for the reason that here every data is quality based material.

29 When Will Jesus Return June 3, 2015 at 11:34 am

I do not even know the way I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
I don’t recognize who you’re however certainly you’re going
to a famous blogger should you are not already. Cheers!

Comments on this entry are closed.