Peanut Butter Twix Bars

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on January 5, 2012

It’s National Shortbread Day! I bet you didn’t even know.

To celebrate, I’m making up some homemade Twix bars.

Why homemade Twix bars you ask? Because hidden under a layer of rich, dark chocolate there’s a layer of oh-so-creamy peanut butter. Under that creamy layer is a melt-in-your-mouth, brown-sugar layer of shortbread.

Oh yes. I did it. I created homemade peanut butter Twix bars.

Peanut Butter Twix Bars
Peanut Butter Twix Bars

They are rich. They are decadent. They are fulfilling, heavy and satisfying.

They are, dare I say, better than the actual candy bar.

Yes, I said it. They. Are. Better.

And so, happy Shortbread Day. It’s just the excuse you need to make, eat and possibly even share a few of these.

As if you really needed an excuse anyway.

Peanut Butter Twix Bars

• 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
  • Dark Chocolate Layer
  • 2 cups dark chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter

Brown Sugar Shortbread Layer
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. Coat a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray.
  3. Using electric mixer on medium speed cream the butter until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the brown sugar, beating well.
  5. On low speed mix in the flour and salt until just combined. Do not overmix.
  6. Press the dough into the prepared pan.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the shortbread is brown, firm at edges and slightly soft in center.
  8. Let cool completely.
  9. Peanut Butter Layer
  10. Using an electric mixer, mix together the peanut butter and butter until smooth and creamy.
  11. Add in the graham cracker crumbs and powdered sugar until well combined. The mixture will be crumbly.
  12. Using a spatula, gently press the peanut butter mixture on top of the cooled shortbread layer. This takes a bite of work, the mixture is sticky.
  13. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour to firm, then smooth with a spatula.
  14. Dark Chocolate Layer
  15. In a small microwave-safe bowl combine the chocolate chips, honey and butter.
  16. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir.
  17. Continue microwaving on high, stirring every 20 seconds until fully melted.
  18. Pour over the peanut butter layer, smoothing with a spatula.
  19. Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate hardens.
  20. Cut into rectangles.
  21. Store in the refrigerator.

{In case you missed it, I have some exciting new features on the site, including a recipe box and shopping list, with the help of ZipList.}

Shortbread recipe adapted from Epicurious. Peanut butter layer recipe adapted from my peanut butter cup bars. Chocolate layer adapted from Annie’s Eats.

A few suggestions when joining in:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Please only link up recipes, not posts about recipes.
  3. Link back or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  4. Visit 2 other blogs and leave comments. You just may make someone’s day.
  5. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook.
  6. Stop by again on Tuesday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

Code for the button is in the side bar.

• No Related Posts

1 Liz@HoosierHomemade January 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for hosting Alison! I’ve made Twix Bars, but only with club crackers. Yours look amazing!
~Liz

2 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for joining in Liz! I’m drooling over those brownies on a stick.

3 Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. January 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Oh you clever girl! I’ve already printed this one. Can’t wait to try it! Happy Shortbread Day!!!

4 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Enjoy them!

5 Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos January 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm

YUM! PB Twix Bars…already added that to my recipe box – sounds amazing!

6 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I LOVE that you are using the recipe box!

7 Winnie January 6, 2012 at 3:38 am

It looks delicious, definitely my kind of sweets

8 Jocelyn January 6, 2012 at 4:50 am

How did you know that peanut butter is my favorite??? These sound super amazing!!! I just added ziplist to my phone, so I will have to figure out how to use it with food blogs now. Thank you so much for hosting.

9 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Let me know if you have any questions about ZipList. I’d be glad to help you out or point you in the direction of someone who can.

10 April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 6, 2012 at 5:16 am

Oh wow, those peanut butter twix bars look like a real treat! Thank you so much for hosting Sweet Tooth Friday. I’ve shared my favourite cakes from 2011. Happy New Year!

11 Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids January 6, 2012 at 7:50 am

Absolutely delicious! I must try these. I am pretty positive that my littles would love them!

12 Ashton January 6, 2012 at 8:07 am

YUM!!! Thanks for the recipe :) And Thanks for hosting!!

13 Tasha January 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

Twix are my favorite! This is a must make! Thanks for hosting!

14 Rhondi January 6, 2012 at 8:41 am

These Twix bars look so good! Thanks for hosting.

15 Crystal January 6, 2012 at 9:20 am

So sorry! I didn’t mean to link up the salmon! lol I know it is sweets!!! Sorry and I love your weekly link up!

16 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm

No worries! You should actually be able to delete it. Let me know if you can’t and I’ll take care of it.

17 Crystal January 6, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Ok! Great I didn’t realize you could delete it.

18 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

Wow, those rock. They look better than the original so I believe you that they are! Thanks for hosting again this week. :)

19 Kitchen Belleicious January 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

Genius- pure genius!

20 Jessica January 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

YUM! I’d love to have you link up if you get a chance. (http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2012/01/anything-goes-linky-party.html) Thanks for sharing!

21 bj January 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

YUM……
I came over to link for STF…..

22 Lorraine January 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

Fantastic Peanut Butter Twix Bars! They look delicious!

23 The Pastry Chef January 6, 2012 at 10:23 am

I couldn’t get your button to work on blogpost but I linked up Alfajores and did a normal link instead of a button – thanks!

24 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I’ll look into it.

25 Bibi January 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm

My best friend is addicted to shortbread. I have some shortbread bars left from Christmas so I need to make her a little present to celebrate Shortbread Day,lol

Thank you so much for hosting…..have a wonderful weekend.

26 Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies January 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I love Twix Bars, if I wasnt’ trying to lose 40 pounds, I’d be ll over this recipe! Word! 😉

27 Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies January 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm

or all*over it…grrrrr

28 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm

They are totally calorie free. I * promise*. 😉

29 Chels R. January 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Those Twix bars look ridiculously good!!!

30 Fabio January 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I agree. Those Twix bars look realy good. But I think it’s not such a good idea to eat them if you’re on a diet.

31 Amey Shah January 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. These look amazing! I have been looking for a Twix recipe forever! Thanks for sharing!

32 Susan @ The Weekly Sweet Experiment January 7, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Yum – they loook delicious! Thanks for hosting. Have a great week!

33 fork January 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I must try these! Peanut Butter and Chocolate are always a winning combo. Thanks for sharing.
-fork

34 Kim @ Just Baked January 8, 2012 at 8:52 am

Oh, these look amazing! Peanut Butter Twix is my favorite candy bar! Who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate? Then add a shortbread crust….Yum!!

35 Melanie January 8, 2012 at 8:31 pm

O.M.G. Even though I am already cozied up in bed I ALMOST leapt out to make these IMMEDIATELY. They combine all of my most favorite ingredients and I will definitely be trying them this week!

36 Sarah @ Homestyle Cooking Around the World January 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Anything with peanut butter gets my attention and these look wonderful! I have bookmarked these to try soon.

37 Lindsey January 9, 2012 at 6:41 am

Wow! Stumbled across you from another link party and these look great! I saved this to try soon! Would love for you to check out my blog @ http://www.toddlindsey.com. Just became a follower! :)

38 Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more January 9, 2012 at 11:08 am

oh they look good! The cookie is my favorite part of a twix.

39 Miranda @ A ThankFULL Heart January 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Oh my, this looks absolutely divine! Satisfaction for my sweet tooth, that’s for sure :).

40 thecottagemarket January 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

What a FABULOUS recipe!!! i LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! thanks for sharing and thanks for hosting!!! going to go grab a button…hugs from your newest follower!

41 Erin @ Making Memories January 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

These just sound beyond delicious!!!

42 Miz Helen January 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

I am just drooling over your Twix Bars, I will be making these soon I hope. Thank you so much for sharing on our 1st Anniversary Party for Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

43 Susie January 17, 2012 at 1:57 am

Oh, so glad to see the graham crackers in the peanut butter layer – they just add so much!!

44 Jennifer January 17, 2012 at 7:24 am

YUMMY! I posted a link to this recipe on my blog…thru my pinterest board.
Thanks!
Jennifer @ The Craft Barn

45 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 17, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thanks for sharing my recipe Jennifer!

46 Felicitas May 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm

This fashionable option will surely make a fashion statement for your
love too. Jewelry folders have a tendency to tear open with
minimal usage assuming closing mechanism is poorly constructed.

They offer many benefits to the customers which retail jewelry could never provide.

47 mortgage house June 16, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Having a retirement pension or demonstrable savings history
can sway a lender that an applicant is fiscally responsible.
If you have plans of getting your own house but you do not have a good credit score, you can consider a.

Many banks have simply canceled their sub-prime loan programs, resulting in millions of borrowers effectively
being shut out of the mortgage market.

48 getting rid of cellulite June 17, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Your body weight would be enough to load you up during the workout sessions.
But sadly, most of the cellulite reduction attempts were futile efforts.

This cellulite shot utilizes a natural homeopathic ingredient and therefore is not a synthetic
medication.

49 hard money lenders los angeles June 21, 2014 at 11:03 pm

The best thing about this company though is that it is committed in building its relationship with its current and
future clients, by providing competitive rates and excellent service.

50 men jewelry June 27, 2014 at 2:17 pm

The hit TV show “Mad Men” has inspired a return to the simple elegance of 1960s jewelry fashions.
These dressy cuff links retail for $100 and can be found at Mondera.

If a women over accessorizes she is eccentric when a man over does the jewelry and accessories he sticks out like a sore thumb.