Peanut Butter and Jelly Crescent Rolls

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on January 22, 2012

Peanut butter and jelly. That’s what the kiddo requests every day for lunch. I kid you not. Every. Day.

On a good day I can get him to change it up a little with a Banana Boat, one of my childhood favorites. Perhaps an Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwich. If we are feeling really adventurous, a Pumpkin Peanut Butter Sandwich.

Most days though, he just wants a plan old PBJ. I get so tired of making them. I have no idea why the kiddo doesn’t get tired of eating them. Sure, peanut butter is awesome, but come on. Too much of a good thing, right?

So I’m always looking for ways to mix it up a little. For some reason, if it isn’t an ordinary PBJ, I feel a little better about giving it to the kiddo day after day. After day.

After day.

I like to think that by changing it a little, and convincing the kiddo that he should try my slightly different PBJ, that I’m also encouraging him to try new foods. So when it comes time to try, say, a taco or cauliflower, he won’t resist.

Wishful thinking. I know. I still try though.

Since National Peanut Butter Day is just around the corner, January 24th, I thought I’d try something a little new.

Crescent rolls. Peanut butter. Your favorite jelly. A slice of banana. Roll it all up. Bake it. And then watch them disappear.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Crescent Rolls

Seriously, they will disappear. I had to remind Hubs that I still have to photograph these crescent beauties, and that he just better save a few for me. And he did. Grudgingly.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Crescent Rolls

Come to think of it, I think that Hubs ate more of these than the kiddo did. Somethings big kids just don’t out grow, and PBJs are one of them.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Crescent Rolls

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 17 minutes

Yield: 8

Serving Size: 1 crescent roll

Peanut Butter and Jelly Crescent Rolls

A tasty variation on the traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Perfect for kids, both young and old.

• 1 tube crescent rolls
  • 8 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 8 teaspoons jelly, jam or honey
  • 8 banana slices

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. On a baking sheet separate the dough into 8 crescent rolls.
  3. Place about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on each roll.
  4. Top with 1 teaspoon jelly, jam or honey.
  5. Place a banana slice on top.
  6. Starting at the long end and ending at the tip of the triangle. Fold up the ends to create a little pocket.
  7. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
  8. Cool slightly.

Notes

These freeze well and make for a quick lunch or snack. Let them sit on the counter for a couple of hours to unthaw, pop them in the oven at 350 degrees until heated through or defrost in the microwave.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Need some other ideas to celebrate National Peanut Butter Day? How about:

• No Related Posts

1 Bake Up, Little Suzy January 22, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Just like the kiddos, I will never tire of PB & Js. Love the crescent idea. Lately I’ve been making PB & J paninis!

2 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:39 pm

We do that too! I love a good toasty PBJ.

3 Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. January 22, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Looks like warm, gooey, yummy comfort food to me! That sounds pretty good right about now!

4 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:41 pm

They are good anytime of the day, especially right out of the oven. Mmmmmmm…

5 Emily@SoDomesticated January 23, 2012 at 12:54 am

These look wonderful… my girls would love them!

6 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thanks Emily!

7 Kitchen Belleicious January 23, 2012 at 6:44 am

Yum, how can one no love a crescent with pb! Crescent’s are the ultimate bread in my opinion

8 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I agree. They are on my list of breads to make for scratch. When I can find the time, that is.

9 Susan @ The Weekly Sweet Experiment January 23, 2012 at 8:49 am

These look so yummy – neat idea. I here you on the boring lunches. At least you don’t have to cook PB&J. My son eats grilled cheese or mac n’ cheese for lunch every day. Every day!!

10 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

PBJ, grilled cheese and mac and cheese are the three main meals we rotate through here too. Every once in a while we throw in a grilled ham and cheese, just to keep things interesting. :-)

11 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 23, 2012 at 9:07 am

Those are awesome! My daughter loves peanut butter – plain, no jelly – and these would be a perfect addition to her lunch repertoire. Oh, and for her birthday party too!

12 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

That’s how I like my PBJ too, without the J.

13 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies January 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I love your new take on the PB&J.

14 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thanks Lisa!

15 Kristin @ Fiskerelli Bellies January 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

I’ll be trying these this weekend. Have you tried a grilled PB & J yet? My grandfather made me one every Friday night for about ten years. Bet it would be great on your panini press!

16 Allison @ Alli 'n Son January 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Oh yes, we love grilled PBJ too.

17 Miz Helen January 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Hi Alli,
Your photo tutorial for this awesome treat is very good. I would just love these little treats to celebrate National Peanut Butter Day. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a wonderful week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

18 Megan O'D January 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Perfect…I was just thinking of what I could make as a snack for my kids and their playdates after school today…and we love anything with PB..thanks for the inspiration!

19 Hannah August 7, 2012 at 11:32 pm

So genius! I wonder if this would work with strawberries/banana and nutella? Thx for the inspiration/instructions!!

20 Mom March 27, 2013 at 1:27 pm

These do sound really good, I bet my kids would love them. Though I would not be giving it to them every day. Why people give their kids the same food every day because “it’s what they wanted” is beyond me. In my household, I’m the parent, not my child. I decide what’s for lunch. My kids eat tacos, brocoli, cauliflower, beans, etc etc etc and have been since they could first eat a pbj as well. Some of you posted seemingly annoyed that your child eats those same foods every day for lunch… well guess what? they eat it because YOU make it. Time to grow up and be a parent… stop letting your children rule the house. jeesh.