Hot Chocolate Microwave Brownie

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on February 16, 2012

Has this ever happened to you?

It’s late at night, say 9:00. Dinner has long since passed (or only recently if you live in our house where dinner at 8:30 isn’t unheard of). Bedtime is looming. You are winding down, or frantically trying to get the rest of the days business taken care of. Or you are sitting in front the TV trying to understand why everyone is so crazy about The Big Bang Theory (I just cannot get into that show).

Suddenly it strikes. A craving. One so serious that the only thing to do is give in to it. Because if you don’t, it will just grow and grow and grow until it’s taken over your entire life.

It’s a chocolate craving. Or more specifically, a gooey, chocolate brownie craving.

Yes, I have had a brownie craving take over my entire life before. It’s a very serious craving.

But, it’s late at night and the thought of making brownies, and the clean up that follows, it just far too much for your sleepy brain to handle.

Well, I’m here to save you from this craving taking over your life. I have the simplest, easiest, gooey-est, single-serving brownie recipe. But it’s not just a brownie. It’s a hot chocolate brownie. That you make in the microwave. In a coffee mug.

Hot Chocolate Microwave Brownie in a Mug

Why hot chocolate? Because it satisfies a brownie craving better than just a brownie alone.

True. Story.

Let me be clear, this isn’t a cake-like brownie. It’s an honest to goodness fudgey brownie. Ooey. Gooey. Molten.

Hot Chocolate Brownie in a Mug

Grab a spoon and your favorite coffee mug. Mix together some flour and a favorite hot chocolate mix. Stir in a little water, oil (or melted butter) and a splash of vanilla. Throw in a handful or two of chocolate chips and in about one minute your chocolate craving will be satisfied.

Yes, it’s that easy.

Hot Chocolate Brownie in a Mug

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Cook Time: 1 minute

Total Time: 3 minutes

Yield: 1 brownie

Hot Chocolate Brownie in a Mug

A quick, single serving brownie for those times when a craving strikes and you can't wait for an entire pan to bake.

• 6 tablespoons hot chocolate mix
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil or melted butter
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • Handful of chocolate chips

1. Using a fork mix together the hot chocolate mix and flour in a coffee mug or small bowl.
  2. Stir in the oil, water and vanilla until all of the ingredients are wet.
  3. Mix in the chocolate chips.
  4. Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. The center should still be molten.
  5. Cool for a few minutes, it will be HOT.

Notes

Start out by microwaving for 60 seconds. If the brownie is not cooked enough, continue microwaving for 10 seconds at at time. The brownie is done when the edges are cooked but the center is still gooey. Top with peanut butter caramel sauce for an extra sweet treat.

Inspired by Microwave Chocolate Mug Brownie

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

A few suggestions when joining in:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Please only link up recipes, not posts about recipes.
  3. Link back or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  4. Visit 2 other blogs and leave comments. You just may make someone’s day.
  5. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook.
  6. Stop by again on Tuesday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

Code for the button is in the side bar.

• No Related Posts

1 Kim February 16, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Thanks for hosting! That hot chocolate brownie looks divine. I soooooooo have those nights when I MUST have chocolate but there’s nothing decent in the house. This will definitely be my new go-to dessert!

2 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I get that insane brownie craving every day or so. And this is the perfect way to satisfy it!

3 Mindie February 16, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Thank you for the tasty linky.

4 April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 17, 2012 at 5:27 am

I know what you mean about late dinners – we rarely eat before 8pm in our house! Your Hot Chocolate Microwave Brownie in a Mug sounds like the perfect emergency fix for a chocolate craving – oh my goodness it looks good! Thank you for sharing it, and for hosting.

5 Kitchen Belleicious February 17, 2012 at 7:21 am

yep! I will be making this for the weekend too! You are full of good ideas!

6 Jocelyn February 17, 2012 at 8:20 am

Ummmm right now there are no words to describe this awesomeness:-)

I too get those brownie cravings…and this looks just about perfect!!!

7 Robin @ Bird On A Cake February 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for hosting a delicious party! I love coming here to find new recipes for my sweet addiction. :0)

8 Beth @ Hungry Happenings February 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Ooooh, that looks good and so quick and easy. Yum!

9 Mama F February 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Oh man! I am in my 3rd trimester right now so I understand having cravings but not wanting to put forth much effort to get it! I will have to try this out (or make my husband do it for me! hee hee)

10 Melinda February 21, 2012 at 8:28 am

I know that craving. I have that craving! These would be perfect!

11 Kim of Mo'Betta February 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm

hahaha, I just had one of those cravings…too bad i didn’t read this first. I microwaved some soybutter and chocolate chips, then mixed in some oatmeal. I was craving no bake cookies, but didn’t want to go to all the trouble! At least my craving is satisfied and I don’t have a bunch of cookies staring me in the face! I’ll have to keep this one for future attacks. (probably tomorrow!)

12 Rogene February 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm

That looks absolutely sinful! I love chocolate!

13 jamieS February 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm

The brownie looks soo good! I am wondering, do you think it would still turn out if I used half the amount of butter/oil?
~Jamie

14 Miz Helen February 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Lots of yummy goodies! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen

15 Kyra March 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I hope you know I have been cursing you for a week. The first time I made this, it was way overcooked (I think my micro runs stronger than most though) and not the greatest (still good, but not at all gooey). I also had to guess a little on the ingredients since I had a packet of hot chocolate mix which wasn’t quite 6 T. of mix. ANyway, I tried it again the following night reducing my cook time and adjusting my ingredient quantities slightly… Ummmmm… yeah…. Holy Canoli… to DIE for DEE-LISH-US! Seriously! It’s like those molten lava cakes that I love SO much. In fact, I’ve made one every night for a week which is SO not good for my diet {hence why I am now cursing you}. WHen I went grocery shopping on Monday, I honestly had to talk myself out of buying another box of Hot Chocolate packets so I would not continue to eat this amazing concotion every night. Thank you for sharing this!! I think. :/

16 Jennifer April 21, 2012 at 9:50 pm

OMG!!! 604 calories?!?!?! Is there any way to half the recipe? Cause it is just too yummy to give up!!!

17 Allison @ Alli 'n Son April 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I have no idea if that calorie total is accurate, especially since it would depend greatly on the hot chocolate mix you are using. If you wanted to lighten it up you could certainly use a sugar-free or fat-free hot chocolate mix. You could probably cut it in half, but you’d have to play around with the microwaving times. Or, just share it with someone else. :-)

18 Angie June 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

This is awesome, BTW, for the 6 TBS of the hot choc mix I just use 2 packs of the hot choc. mix. Anyway, we had it yesterday and so sooooooo gooooood!! Tonight we had it again and shared it this time and I added about a handful of chopped pecans, it really was good. Thank you so much for posting this…. but now I really wonder if I will ever lose the weight I need to LOL

19 Madison July 16, 2012 at 11:09 pm

It’s a little bit past midnight and I have not slept one bit. Why? I had the WORST brownie craving ever.
You, my friend, just saved my life. This is the most genius recipe I have ever come across. :)

20 Michaela July 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

This recipe is great. Just made one (Actually eating it right now) and mine turned out AMAZING. This is the perfect thing for lazy people. :)

21 Maiah love August 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hey omg i love these brownies! My friend sami and i make them every friday and enjoy them. :) thank you.

22 Chibimaru27 October 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

it was delicious; until i dropped my mug…Thanks for the recipe!!!

23 Kirsten October 17, 2012 at 11:53 am

I made this today for an afternoon study snack and it was awesome!! i used a rolo hot chocolate mix,milk chocolate and white chocolate chips then topped it all off with cool whip (sugar overload)! i love that it was so fast and easy to make! thanks for the great recipe!!

24 Taylor November 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Oh my gosh! I just made this but lemme tell you how i did it:1
3 tablespoons of hot coco mix
2 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of softened butter(i guess it could be hard too)
About 1.5 tablespoons of water
1 drop of vannila
and a spoonful of nutella
I cooked it for 30 seconds
OHMYGOD it was amazing! And it wasnt even like a liqu
id either..! It was thick and crea

25 Gill November 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

My brownie ended up all powdery :(

26 Tracy January 23, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I wanted to say that we were craving brownies desperately, typed down our ingredients and stumbled upon your website! We tried out your recipe and got it right the first time! Absolutely delicious and EASY!

So good we made three more batches! Thank you so much, I have this recipe saved now and plan on showing others in the future!

27 Jenny January 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm

This is sooo good, I’m so glad I came across this website!!! I’m about to make one now!!!

28 Amanda January 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Haven’t tried the brownie yet. Just wanted to let you know that it’s so nice to know that my husband and I are not alone in thinking The Big Bang Theory just isn’t that great.

29 Brownieaddict February 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm

That was delicious! Here’s what i did:
3 tablespoons of hot coco mix
2 tablespoons of flour
1 tablespoon of oil
1.5 tablespoons of water
Splash of Milk
Splash of Cream
Pinch of Cocoa
1 tablespoon of nutella
Cook for 45 secs
If uncooked, cook for an Additonal 30 secs

30 Donna February 9, 2013 at 8:50 am

I found this by searching for recipes using hot choc mix. My 9 year old has to make something with choc for a class he is in and the only choc in the house is hot choc mix. Can this recipe be doubled? He has to make enough for a class of 10 to each get a taste. And we will be away from home when it needs to be made.

31 Olga P February 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm

you are truly a genius. …. my husband was just craving some brownies and I made this for him. this tastes better then regular brownies. thank you

32 Jeniffer February 11, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I just made this, it was delicious!

33 Allison A March 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

AMAZING!!!!! just made one n its soooo good! Thank u for this amazing idea:)

34 Miss Molly March 28, 2013 at 12:25 am

Would not recommend… followed recipe exactly, and was not at all impressed. Its texture is odd… I can’t really describe it. To best describe the over all experience I would say it was like eating a soggy piece of toast with cocoa powder and melted chocolate chips on it. I used Swiss Miss hot chocolate, which is my all time favorite hot chocolate and was expecting this to turn at the very least half decent. I cannot imagine how awful this would be with cheap/store brand hot chocolate. I wish I had just made the hot chocolate to drink instead of this recipe, but I it is always good to try new things.

35 Emma May 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

same thing happened to me… I even used Nestle hot cocoa mix, which is the absolute best, awesome mix ever!!! Texture and taste was horrible

36 Madelyn March 29, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I actually really liked this recipe! I didnt use any chocolate chips on it because i didnt have and instead i added half a teaspoon of brown sugar and i divided it into two mugs and it tasted really good :) surely worked for the chocolate craving i had !

37 Cortney June 13, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I had a chocolate craving, and so I looked this up. I just made it and it is wonderful! Great recipe. Thanks!

38 Renny June 21, 2013 at 10:50 pm

It was awesome!

39 Sam June 22, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I added brown sugar and subbed the water for milk(but i did add a little water) and when i cooked it (80seconds) i added caramel syrup on top and it was delicious :) )

40 Brie July 7, 2013 at 7:27 pm

So good and very rich. I couldn’t finish it because it was so rich! I think it was because I used nesquick chocolate powder and not coco powder.
Don’t get me wrong, it was amazingly delicious to this pregnant lady, but just very rich and sweet.

41 Camille October 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

I tried this and it’s the best thing I’ve ever tasted! Also I put some vanilla icecream on top :)

42 Holly November 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm

So good! :)

43 Catherine November 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm

O my gosh this looks amazing you are not the only one that has the craving!

I have to try it out does it have to have chocolate chips? that is the only thing I am missing

44 Disgusting November 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Disgusting. Did not turn out. Tastes horrible. Trashy to be exact. I am now sick due to mixing flour in with this. My lungs are clogged. I will not suggest this recipe to anybody. Does not look like picture. You despise me…….

45 Erika December 7, 2013 at 11:17 am

I didnt have any chocolate chips so i didnt put any in. But i experamented with flavored coffee creamer and almond joy frosting. Its good no matter how u make it!

46 Hannah December 29, 2013 at 4:08 pm

This is by far the best Brownie-in-a-mug recipe I have ever tried!

47 rachel January 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I can’t get into the big bang theory either lol too funny :) and love the quick painless brownies

48 millie January 27, 2014 at 3:49 am

bit too much liquid i thought so i would probably use 1 less tbsp of water and i would suggest halving the quantities – there is quite a lot!

49 Kelsey February 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I added peppermint bark and cooked it for 1 minute 20 seconds. Came out PERFECTLY. Currently dying of chocolately goodness.

50 Indiana and Jess February 19, 2014 at 9:41 am

We would just like to say….. DO NOT WASTE your precious time, money and delicious hot chocolate powder on creating this disgusting monstrosity!! Your time and valuable hot chocolate powder would be better used on some heart warming hot chocolates on these cold winter mornings.
Disgraceful.

51 Lilly April 6, 2014 at 6:42 pm

These look so good! What would happen if I didn’t have the chocolate chips, would it still be okay?