My Cooking Disasters

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on February 21, 2012

I’d like to start out this post by saying that I never make a mistake when I’m cooking or baking. I never modify a recipe with disastrous results. In fact, everything that I make in the kitchen comes out beautiful. Ready to photograph. Ready to eat. Ready to share the recipe.

Now that we have that out of the way, let me tell you that this is only what I want you to think. In reality, I make mistakes all of the time. Like when I made cinnamon-roll French bread, and the filling totally over flowed. All over my oven. Burnt sugar is not a smell that you want taking over your house.

My Cooking Disasters

Or the time that I attempted to make peanut brittle on the stove, without a candy thermometer. Let me save you some trouble right now, sugar on the stove burns very quickly. Very. Quickly. Like say, perhaps, you walk away from the stove for two seconds, you could very well be left with a pile of useless, crystalized sugar.

Let’s not forget the time I made peppermint mocha muffins for a friend and I completely left out the oil. While she still raved over them, they were not up to my muffin standards. They totally need the oil, no matter what she says.

I hate messing up a recipe. All of that time. All of those ingredients. It’s just so, so sad when it all goes to waste. Or when we choke it down anyway because we haven’t gone grocery shopping in a week and have nothing, nothing left in the house to eat.

This very thing happened a couple of weekends ago. I was beyond excited to try a new chicken pot pie recipe from Pretty Delicious my newest healthy cookbook. It was full of these wonderful vegetables like sweet potatoes, yellow zucchini, and carrots. It was topped with this light and delicate puff pastry, that makes the entire dish look as if it’s covered in a golden cloud.

At least that’s what it supposed to look like. I wanted to change the recipe though, because that’s what I do. My brilliant idea was to use refrigerated biscuits instead of puff pastry. I’d seen pot pie recipes use them before so I figured it would be a simple substitution. It seemed like an easy way to make the recipe my own, along with a few other substitutions I was making.

The filling of the pot pies was so good. A little strong on the sweet potatoes, but it was creamy and rich and filling, just the way a pot pie should be.

But the biscuit topping, well it ended up doughy. Completely undercooked. My stomach is churning at the thought of it. Ugh.

My Cooking Disasters

Can I tell you a secret? Promise not to judge? We ate it anyway. The filling was just so good that we managed to look past the doughy mess sitting on top. Hubs even took the rest of it to work, just so it wouldn’t go to waste.

I was so discourage by the entire thing, that I may never make chicken pot pie again. Which is really a shame, because this recipe has so much potential. It’s calling to me. I can hear it.

Maybe I can talk Hubs into giving it a try. That way if he messes up, I can blame it on him this time. Actually, it was probably his fault last time too. Some how.

So, spill it, tell me about your kitchen disasters, so I don’t feel so bad.

This post is proudly linked up with Parenting BY Dummies, Seven Clown CircusBetter in BulkA Beautiful MessLive and Laugh…Out Loud.

{ 13 comments }

1 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 22, 2012 at 12:34 am

Great confessional post, I’m guilty of some major fails too, it’s how we learn. I actually had a fail today but my second attempt seems to be okay.
Don’t give up on pot pie. I love that stuff!
Take care..

2 Amy Tong February 22, 2012 at 2:08 am

That’s not so bad, girl! There was one recipe that I keep trying and repeating for….I guess 5 trials at least, before I get it “right”! So, my family has our fair share in consuming quite a bit of “too dry, too gooey, still raw, over-cooked” kind of food since don’t know when! :) I would love to “copy and paste” your very first paragraph onto my blog though…hahaha….Oh well, don’t give up the pot pie. I know you can do it better next time! 😉

3 Shella February 22, 2012 at 5:27 am

My first 2 attempts (and so far my last) at fondant were a fail. While it tasted good (even to my hubby who doesn’t like fondant) the texture was totally wrong. Both batches weren’t smooth and had a “wet” look to them. Got a good recipe for fondant that really works?

4 Stacy Uncorked February 22, 2012 at 7:27 am

At least the filling was delicious, right? :) I well know the burnt sugar smell – I over filled an apple pie which decided to overflow all its sugary sweetness a huge burnt sugar mess on the bottom of my oven. On Christmas Eve a few years ago. When we had guests over. Smokey burnt sugar was a ‘fun’ celebration. 😉

Stinky Cats

5 Nicole February 22, 2012 at 8:00 am

It’s good to know that I’m in good company. About 2 weeks ago, I failed miserably with a pot pie. As with your situation, the filling was amazing but my crust ended up just like yours! Yes, we did the same thing and ate it anyway.

I’m going to give it another go….wish me luck! Come on and give it another go with me….LOL

6 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 22, 2012 at 8:54 am

I hate it when that happens. I hate throwing anything away so I end up eating it anyway. What I hate most is when I make something for someone and it’s not up to standards. Oh, and I would’ve eaten that dough anyway. It looks so good!

7 Shawna February 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This is a bad one… A few weeks ago I was craving a meringue cookie so I decided to whip up a batch. Well I used a carton of egg whites. What a soupy mess! Then I still tried to bake them and they were flat rocks! After all that I read the side of the egg white carton and it said, do not use for meringue cookies or pies! Wish I had seen that first and you better believe I won’t make that mistake again! Lol!

8 Erika...with a K February 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I love your honesty. My husband swears he loves my cooking… when I actually cook. But I dont try a lot of new recipies anymore because they are always disasters. I use to always try homemade cake (long, long ago) and it always tasted like a wierd bread. It was awful. The smoke alarm went off the other day and my daughter asked what that was and my husband responded “oh that’s just the sound of your mom cooking!” lol
I was actually planning on a homemade potpie tonight…. and I am now worried how it may turn out!!

9 Courtney February 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hah! I love that you shared some mistakes – it makes us all feel better (especially me!). My worst disaster was when I tried to make a boston cream pie. All three parts turned out completely and utterly wrong. :)

10 Mira Crisp February 23, 2012 at 4:35 am

My cooking disasters are too numerous to name them! I love experimenting with food and new recipes so mistakes are unaviodable. Don’t feel bad about it. We learn from out mistakes. :) I would love you to share your mistakes with Weekly Photo Stew!”

11 Carrie- young living oil lady February 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

Great story! I think we can all relate to disastrous meals we have made…ate it anyway and learned and grew from it! As they say, “practice makes perfect!” I am sure the next time it will be just that! You will eat the top and will write a post on how amazing it was and there won’t be any left overs for hubby to take to work! :)

12 Amber February 24, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’ve had so many cooking disasters I couldn’t even begin to count them all. Most memorable of the recent disasters was an attempt to make turkey pumpkin chili. I don’t know what I did, but I clearly forgot something, because it turned into a gluey mess. Ick.

13 Bitterroot Mama February 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I love your honesty. Although I consider myself a decent cook, I’ve had tons of cooking disasters. The most recent disaster: 2 nights ago trying to make Hunter’s Chicken. The tomato-based sauce tasted disgusting and the rice was crunchy. We could only eat the chicken and some rice I had leftover in the fridge. Live and learn!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }