Chocolate Covered Pretzel Blondies

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on February 23, 2012

What’s one baked good that you have never ever made? Something that everyone has made at least once in their life, but for some reason, you have never made it.

For me, it was blondies. I’ve eaten them, sure. But made them myself? Never.

I can’t believe I’ve actually confessed to this. It’s so embarrassing. I should probably just go ahead and add it to my collection of cooking disasters.

The other weekend, right before the Super Bowl, I knew that the time had come. I needed to make blondies. But not just any blondies, because that’s not the way I work. It has to be something just a little different.

So I went rummaging through my pantry, looking for the ingredient that would make these special. Chocolate chips were out, too obvious. As were white chocolate chips, butterscotch chip and peanut butter chips. Dark chocolate peanut butter M&Ms? Delicious, sure, but not unique enough.

And then, in a back corner, almost forgotten, was the secret ingredient. Chocolate-covered pretzels.

Brilliant!

So I chopped them up, both chocolate and white chocolate pretzels. Stirred them, and then baked away. Two batches of blondies later, and I’m completely hooked.

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Blondies

Just like my children, I love both versions. However, unlike my children, I do have a favorite. The chocolate chocolate-covered pretzels, not the white chocolate-covered pretzels. Why? It may just be my addiction to all things chocolate, and white chocolate doesn’t make that list. I’m not sure. But whatever flavor you go with, you really won’t be disappointed.

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Blondies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 16 bars

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Blondies

A fun twist on a classic blondie recipe, using chocolate-covered pretzels.

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of fine sea salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate-covered pretzels (white or chocolate), broken

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving two longer ends to use as handles for removing the bars.
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a large pan, over medium heat melt the butter. Bring it to a boil, stirring constantly, until light golden brown, about 4 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in the sugars until well blended.
  6. Let cool for 5 minutes, until barely warm.
  7. Stir in the egg, egg yolk, corn syrup and vanilla extract.
  8. Stir in the flour and broken chocolate-covered pretzels. The batter will be thick.
  9. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
  10. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Remove using the parchment paper handles, then cut into 16 pieces.

Notes

Adapted from Joy of Cooking

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

A few suggestions when joining in:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Please only link up recipes, not posts about recipes.
  3. Link back or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  4. Visit 2 other blogs and leave comments. You just may make someone’s day.
  5. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook.
  6. Stop by again on Tuesday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

Code for the button is in the side bar.

• No Related Posts

1 Robin @ Simply Southern Baking February 23, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Wish I had one of these blondies right now! Would be perfect right after dinner!

2 Amy Tong February 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Opps…Just like you, I’ve never made blondies before! Oh, now you’re on “the other side”! I better bake up a batch quickly cos these blondies looks amazing! Can’t wait to give them a try. :)

3 Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos February 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm

These look amazing – what a fabulous combination!

4 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Oh, I could bathe in these blondies. Chocolate covered pretzels? Awesome! Thanks so much for hosting!

5 onceinabluemoon February 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm

looks fabulouos!

6 Kim February 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Mmmm…. I LOVE the sweet and salty combo of pretzels and chocolate. I’ll definitely be making these! Thanks for hosting! :)

7 Ambreen February 24, 2012 at 12:35 am

Wow Alli! That looks amazing!Thank you so much for hosting. Have a great weekend!

8 Jocelyn February 24, 2012 at 5:59 am

Blondie brownies are my absolute favorites. Your combo looks awesome and sounds super delish too!!! Thank you for hosting the sweetness every week.

9 Aimee @ ShugarySweets February 24, 2012 at 6:19 am

Alli, those blondies sound yummy! Thanks for making me drool so early in the morning!

10 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles February 24, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’ve never made blondies, either. (gasp!) These sounds delicious!

11 lisa February 24, 2012 at 7:28 am

I’ve had such a craving for blondies lately! YUM!

I’ve never made or eaten pineapple upside down cake so I really want to try that :)

12 Heather February 24, 2012 at 8:04 am

Wow these look amazing!!! All my favorite things in one!

13 Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons February 24, 2012 at 8:16 am

These look so good! We just posted our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/02/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_23.html

14 Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids February 24, 2012 at 8:36 am

Those blondies look amazing! I have not made them in forever, so I might have to change that…starting with this recipe. :) Happy Friday!

15 Rose @ Rose Bakes February 24, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oh my gosh… those look delish!! I love blondies and chocolate and I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

16 Robin @ Bird On A Cake February 24, 2012 at 10:16 am

Those blondies sound delish! The perfect combo of salty and sweet. And I don’t really like white chocolate either…it’s not REAL chocolate, is it? Thanks for hosting! :0)

17 Susan @ The Weekly Sweet Experiment February 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!!

18 JeNae February 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Looks delish!

19 Megan February 26, 2012 at 11:38 am

Those blondies look delicious. I’m excited to be a new follower of your blog through the link party at Nifty Thrifty Things :) ~ Megan

20 Tina @ Babycakes Blog February 27, 2012 at 11:52 am

The blondies look yummy. I too have yet to make blondies. But those do inspire me to try them, that’s for sure. I pinned it so I can add it to my to do list! I also linked up my Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies while I was here and have you added to my Friday Link Party list, so I’ll see you again on Friday. Thanks for hosting.

21 Miz Helen March 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Your Blondies look awesome, sure wish I had one! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!