There’s just something about Spring that screams “grill me!” The charcoal aroma fills the air, traveling through the neighborhood, attracting people from blocks away. You can see them take a deep breath, sigh, and then quickly change their dinner plans to something grilled. It doesn’t matter what it is, it just has to be grilled.
Spring and Summer also means BBQ sauce, especially when chicken is the main course. It’s an unwritten rule in our house that if there is chicken on the grill, there better be BBQ sauce to go with it. If it’s homemade BBQ sauce, you get extra brownie points and probably an extra brownie, or two.
Hubs has tried often to create his own BBQ sauce. He was rather obsessed with it for a while. There were a few unfortunate combinations that tasted like anything but BBQ sauce. Sadly, those were so inedible that they had to be thrown away. You know it’s bad when Hubs throws away food, because he is known for eating anything.
He’s also a had a few successes, but I don’t think that he ever found just the right combination of flavors to satisfy his BBQ sauce-tooth. Kind of like my sweet tooth, it’s never completely satisfied.
When I was challenged to test one of the recipes on the new Coke with Meals, featuring chef Ingrid Hoffmann and chef G. Garvin, I sent Hubs a few choices, knowing exactly what he would pick. Something with BBQ sauce. I mentioned that he’s obsessed with it, right? He choose Coca-Cola® BBQ Wings, and then I twisted it up a little.
You see, I’m just not a fan of chicken wings. They are messy. Greasy. And they just leave me feeling heavy. Not my kind of a meal. Using Spring as my inspiration, I decided to adapt the recipe for chicken kabobs. Because who doesn’t like food on a stick?
No one, that’s who. No one doesn’t like food on a stick.
When Hubs tasted this lovely summer-time BBQ sauce, sweetened with Coca-Cola, orange juice, brown sugar and molasses, I think he fell in love. And it was easy. Oh so easy. Which makes me love it even more.
Grilling. BBQ sauce. Coke (diet Coke for me…mmmmmmm). Doesn’t that just scream Spring to you?
A soon-to-be summer favorite, grilled chicken kabobs and an easy homemade BBQ sauce featuring Coke.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Coca-Cola (not diet)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2-3 pounds skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, or your favorite seasonings, to taste
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water
- In a medium pan over medium heat, cook the olive oil, jalapeno and garlic until softened. The garlic will brown lightly.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in ketchup, chicken broth, orange juice, molasses and Coca-Cola. Stir until well combined.
- Add in brown sugar, liquid smoke, sea salt and paprika. Stir and let cool.
- Slice the chicken breasts into 2" wide pieces. Thread onto pre-soaked skewers, 2-3 pieces each.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken for 12-15 minutes, turing once, or until no longer pink.
- Brush Coca-Coa BBQ Sauce over the cooked chicken.
- Serve with a extra Coca-Coa BBQ Sauce and your favorite fries.
Inspired by Cooking with Coke
Compensation was provided by Coca-Cola, but Coca-Cola is not a sponsor, administrator, or involved in any other way with this pin/post. All opinions expressed are my own and not those of Coca-Cola.
Did you know that you can save my recipes in your very own recipe box, courtesy of ZipList? Just click on the link above, under "recipes" to get started. Want to learn more? Hop on over to read about this awesome new feature.