Spicy Sriracha Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on April 26, 2012

When Hubs is traveling for work, I don’t cook.

I don’t make meals.

I don’t make plans of any sort revolving around what we will eat.

Don’t get me wrong, we eat. Just not normal meals. In fact, I eat all day long, grazing as I go through the day. It’s often too much effort to prepare a meal for myself after I’ve thrown together sandwiches for the boys, so I just grab whatever is within arms reach.

I do however bake. And make snacks. I’m a total pig when I’m single-parenting it.

I bake and I bake and I bake. Then I eat and I eat and I eat.

It’s not all for me though. I do share my creations with the boys. But I worry that deep down Hubs feels left out. And so, I feel that I must make something magical just for him. Something to celebrate his return. Something made especially with him in mind, using some of his favorite ingredients flavors.

Spicy Sriracha Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Spicy Sriracha Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

This caramel corn was born for just this reason. Hubs loves peanut butter. He loves anything spicy. He loves caramel corn and chocolate and M&Ms. Why not toss them all together, I decided one Saturday afternoon.

So toss I did. The result was nothing short of magical.

Spicy Sriracha Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Magical I say!

Even though Hubs rolled his eyes and begged me to stop baking (he always over-does-it while he’s traveling, too) I knew that he was secretly thrilled with my creation. Which is why I let him eat some, instead of inhaling it all myself.

I’m such a good wife, don’t you think?

Spicy Sriracha Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Spicy Sriracha Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Not your typical carmel corn, this recipe combines sweet caramel, spicy Sriracha and salty peanut butter for a mixture that satisfies all of your cravings.

• 6 cups popped plain popcorn
  • Fine sea salt
  • 2 cups chocolate Chex cereal
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons Sriracha
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate peanut M&M's

1. Place the popped popcorn in a large bowl and salt to taste. Add chex cereal and mix. Set aside.
  2. In a small sauce pan stir together honey and sugar. Over medium high heat, bring to a boil.
  3. Let simmer for 2 minutes, remove from heat and vigorously stir in peanut butter until all the peanut butter is melted.
  4. Stir in the Sriracha.
  5. Pour the peanut butter caramel over the popcorn and chocolate Chex, gently stirring until evenly coated.
  6. Spread popcorn on a large baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper.
  7. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the white chocolate chips on medium for 30 seconds. Stir, then continue microwaving and stirring until melted.
  8. Drizzle popcorn with melted chocolate and let sit until chocolate hardens.
  9. Gently break apart the popcorn and stir in the M&M's.

Notes

Inspired by The Kitchn.

A few suggestions when joining in:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Please only link up recipes, not posts about recipes.
  3. Link back or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  4. Visit 2 other blogs and leave comments. You just may make someone’s day.
  5. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook.
  6. Stop by again on Tuesday. Each week I pick my five favorite recipes. If you are featured I have a nifty button you can add to your blog.

Code for the button is in the side bar.

{ 20 comments }

1 Robin @ Bird On A Cake April 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I love your “sweets only” party…thanks for hosting! :0)

2 Karyn April 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm

My husband wants me to make that popcorn! However, tonight I am making popcorn for the kids at school. I don’t think they would appreciate the hot sauce. Maybe next time…
Thanks for hosting another great party. I’ll be back tomorrow to see all the link-ups!

3 Allison @ Alli 'n Son April 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I totally understand. My son wouldn’t eat it because it was too spicy. You could make it without the Sriracha, it would still be delicious.

4 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust April 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Yummy popcorn! Thanks for hosting!

5 Heather April 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Your popcorn looks absolutely amazing! Will have to try. Thanks for hosting a “sweet” party:)

6 Jocelyn April 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I don’t do a whole lot of cooking on the nights my husband is at work…we exist on pancakes or cereal! But those are the nights I get the most baking done. Glad to hear their other moms out there with this same pattern:-) And this popcorn…yummmm!!!!

7 Allison @ Alli 'n Son April 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I always forget about cereal for dinner. I must do this.

8 April @ The 21st Century Housewife April 27, 2012 at 3:15 am

I love the combination of flavours in your caramel corn – the sweet / salty / caramel-ly thing is making my mouth water! Thank you for hosting, and have a lovely weekend.

9 Robin @ Simply Southern Baking April 27, 2012 at 4:49 am

Popcorn, peanut butter, white chocolate? Oh yes! Thanks for hosting this weekly party.

10 Kyra April 27, 2012 at 7:53 am

Damn, that looks good! Gonna have to buy a hot air popper just to try this recipe out!

11 Allison @ Alli 'n Son April 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

You could also buy plain microwave popcorn, or make your own using a paper bag and pop corn seeds. It’s so easy.

12 claire April 27, 2012 at 10:25 am

Looks so yummy,thanks for hosting :)

13 Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife April 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This is a great feature, thanks for hosting! Today I’m sharing The Cyclist’s Peanut Butter, Nutella & Butterscotch chip cookies. Made at the drop of a hat on a night of being silly. I hope you enjoy! (#41)

14 Allison @ Alli 'n Son April 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Some of my favorite flavor combinations. Yum!

15 Alice April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am

Hi, the popcorn look so yummy, my kids will beg me to make this, thks for sharing
I’ve linked up my banana choco mousse chocolate layered cake
Thks for hosting :)

16 Cole April 30, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Oh my goodness! That does look magical!

17 Deb@CookingOnTheFrontBurner May 2, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Some of my favorite flavor combos… looks awesome! Thanks for hosting…! I’ll be coming back to check out future goodies!

18 "Hubs" (formerly Dad-oo) May 3, 2012 at 11:31 am

This is the best concoction ever invented. I always knew Sriracha can be put with anything and she has proven my case.

19 Lisa@BlessedwithGrace May 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

Never would have thought of this combo – but – YUM! Thanks for sharing and linking to TMTT.

20 Miz Helen May 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Comments on this entry are closed.