Green Monster Smoothie

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on June 7, 2012

Now, I’m not usually a smoothie person, mostly because I have high hopes for my smoothies.

I want them to be a meal in itself.

I want them to be filling and satisfying.

I want them to be healthy. And sweet. And delicious.

Simply put I want them to be my everything.

Yet they rarely are. They are filled with sugar and ice and leave me feeling empty five minutes after I finished slurping it down.

Smoothies, to me, were never worth the effort.

And so, I was a little bummed when I decided to join in this months Crazy Cooking Challenge because the theme was fruit smoothies. *sigh* I thought. Smoothies. How boring.

Until I remembered a friend raving about spinach smoothies. Bright green smoothies. Smoothies that took lunch (or breakfast) and totally show it who’s boss.

Smoothies that I can get behind.

So I Swagbucks around and discovered that green smoothies come in all shapes and sizes. But I couldn’t find one that fit me exactly. So, with the help of two bloggers, Iowa Girl Eats and Joy the Baker  I created my very own green smoothie.

Green Monster Spinach and Kale Smoothie

Spinach and kale lend the bright green color while adding all sorts of healthy goodness. Frozen banana slices for flavor. Strawberries, because, well, strawberries are awesome. Greek yogurt for protein. Ground flax seed for way too many healthy reasons to mention. And just a touch of honey to help sweeten things up.

Green Monster Smoothie

This smoothie, it’s madness I tell you and I’m totally and completely addicted to them. But this is only the start. Now that I have the basic formula developed, I’ve been making them every week. Two or three times a week. Some days it’s spinach only, no kale. Some days I throw in some raspberry yogurt and forget the honey. Some days, if I’m feeling crazy it’s blueberries, strawberries and bananas.

I’ve also been known to swap peanut butter for the ground flax. Peanut butter!!!

I’m totally smoothie junkie now.

Hopelessly addicted.

You have been warned.

Green Monster Smoothie

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 1 large or 2 small smoothies

Green Monster Smoothie

A healthy way to sneak some veggies into breakfast or lunch, this green smoothie has it all, including bananas, strawberries, spinach and kale.

• 1 banana, sliced and frozen
  • 6 small strawberries, cut in half
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
  • 1 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 2 cups kale leaves, stems discarded and torn
  • Milk, optional

1. Place all ingredients, except milk, in the blender, blend until smooth.
  2. Add milk if you like a thinner smoothie, blend until smooth.

Notes

Replace the ground flax seed with 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter.
Use your favorite, sweetened Greek yogurt and omit the honey.
Use any fruit that you have on hand. Berries. Pears. Mangos. Pineapple. Watermelon.

Inspired by Iowa Girl Eats and Joy the Baker

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Photobucket

• No Related Posts

1 Joan Hayes@chocolate and more June 7, 2012 at 11:47 am

I never thought I’d say this about spinach and kale but this looks and sounds fantastic. I’m going to have to get up the nerve to just make one, and then hope my kids don’t see me make it and serve it to them too.

2 Allison @ Alli 'n Son June 7, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Ha! My son LOVES a green smoothie. Although I didn’t tell him what was in it.

3 Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes June 7, 2012 at 11:55 am

I thought about making a smoothie similar to this one for the challenge …. seeing this makes me want to make one! Looks yummy … and healthy!

4 Allison @ Alli 'n Son June 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm

It is healthy and yummy. The best of both worlds. ;-)

5 Mireille June 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m not a big fan of veggies in smoothies, but the color is gorgeous!

6 Allison @ Alli 'n Son June 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

You don’t even know that they are in there, the yogurt, strawberries and honey mask the flavor. If you go with all spinach instead of half kale the taste is even milder. Totally worth a try.

7 Terrence C. June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

Exactly. I don’t even use the honey. Spinach, Kale, blueberries, bananas, strawberries, and apples. The fruits I use are fresh (not frozen) and since I make them everyday the fruit never goes bad. Good, and healthy! YEAH, YEAH!!!!

8 Cynthia L. June 7, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Drinking something green would not be on the top of my list of things to do, but after seeing your smoothie, I think I will change my mind. This looks and sounds so good!

9 Allison @ Alli 'n Son June 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

It is an odd color for a smoothie, isn’t it?

10 Jen @Juanita's Cocina June 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Okay, I’ll try anything! And your recommendations for variations make me want to run to the store RIGHT now!! Love this one!

#31

11 Melissa June 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I’m so glad to hear you’ve been converted. I love making green smoothies–they’re so filling and nutritious!

I’m CCC #5

12 Kitchen Belleicious June 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

i am like you said, usually not a smoothie person but I like this- i actually like this and seeing as how little man is all about his smoothies right now I will give it a try

13 Mary June 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Welcome to the dark side, Alli. Glad you loved it. I LOVE green smoothies more than any others!

14 Cassie June 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

So I’ve been hearing about the Monster Green smoothies and now you have me convinced. I will be trying this!

15 ATasteOfMadness June 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I love the name ;)
This looks delicious, and so healthy too!

16 Lisa~~ June 7, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I love the color and it sounds delicious.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my CCC entry: Mango Melon Banana & Chia Smoothie.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

17 Trina June 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

I have a green smoothie every morning, but we add 1 cup of coconut milk gives it a tropical taste. We also use spinach, frozen strawberries, fresh pineapple, frozen blueberries, banana, and greek yogurt (vanilla).

18 Jen June 14, 2012 at 5:34 am

I love giving my kiddos smoothies that are both yummy & nutritious. I have to try this one with them!

19 Miz Helen June 14, 2012 at 9:59 am

I just love this smoothie, Alli, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

20 Karla June 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

I love Green Monster smoothies!!! I heard of them a while back from Angela and her Green Monster Movement and have tried a few recipes from her site that are quite nummy. I think I’m going to give yours a try, it sounds delicious. I like mine sweet too and I love kale so this one sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing. :D

21 green construction methods September 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Hi there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website
with us so I came to give it a look. I’m definitely loving the information.
I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
Terrific blog and superb design and style.