Homemade Vanilla Sugar

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on June 14, 2012

Welcome to Sweet Tooth Friday, a day devoted to all things sweet. Feel free to drool over today’s recipe, link up your own sweet recipes, and visit a few of the other sweet, sweet recipes shared by fellow bloggers.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

I’ve had a secret obsession with vanilla beans for some time now. I’ve wanted so badly to buy them. Bake with them. Experience their supreme vanilla flavor.

But I couldn’t bring myself to buy them. They were expensive. I was scared. I didn’t want to waste them.

And then, one day, I did. Out of no where, I ordered Premium Bourbon-Madagascar Vanilla Beans and then stared out the front door until they were delivered.

For days, I stared out the door. I’m totally not kidding.

Okay. Yes. I’m totally kidding. But I did feel like a kid counting down the days until Christmas, I was that excited.

When the big day arrived and these beautiful, fragrant beans showed up on my door step, I couldn’t wait to begin baking with them.

And then, I didn’t. I was scared. They were expensive. I didn’t want to waste them.

So they sat, next to my spices, for weeks. Calling out to me. Taunting me. Begging me to bake with them.

Then one morning, I finally got over my fears and made baked vanilla bean donuts, which were underwhelming, to say the least.

I was sad. So very sad.

I had this beautiful vanilla bean that was stripped of it’s very essence, the seeds. But it was still so full of life. It had so much left to give. So much flavor to share.

Homemade Vanilla Sugar

I couldn’t just throw it away. So I buried it deep in a jar of sugar. I let it sit for weeks, as the flavor developed. Deepened. Perfected.

Homemade Vanilla Sugar Recipe

Vanilla sugar. It has endless uses.

Homemade Vanilla Sugar

Dust it on top of pancakes or waffles.

Sprinkle it over ripe strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries.

Sweeten and liven up smoothies.

Dress up everyday recipes, replacing granulated sugar with vanilla sugar.

And now, I’m not afraid of using vanilla beans anymore. Because even when the recipe isn’t what I dreamed of, I know there’s life for those vanilla beans anyway.

Now, I just have to tackle homemade vanilla extract. Or my kitchen will be over flowing with vanilla sugar.

Vanilla Sugar

Vanilla Sugar

Homemade vanilla sugar made from vanilla beans and granulated sugar.

• 2 vanilla bean pods, scraped
  • 2 cups granulated sugar

1. Bury beans in sugar and seal tightly with lid.
  2. Let sit for 2 weeks.
  3. Remove beans.
  4. Use as regular, granulated sugar.

Notes

Don't throw away those vanilla bean pods. Add to homemade vanilla extract or use them to make additional vanilla sugar (great gift idea).

From the genius Alton Brown at FoodNetwork.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

A few suggestions when joining in:

1. Link directly to your recipe {sweet-recipes only please}, not to the main page of your blog.
  2. Please only link up recipes, not posts about recipes.
  3. Link back or include the Sweet Tooth Friday button {code is in the side bar}.
  4. Visit 2 other blogs and leave comments. You just may make someone’s day.
  5. Subscribe to my blog, follow me on Twitter and like me on Facebook.

Code for the buttons is in the side bar.

1 Tracey June 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm

That is so ironic. Im waiting(not so patiently) for my vanilla beans to arrive. I ordered Tahitian and Mexican beans to make 2 varieties of vanilla extract. Right before I read this, I had been checking online where my beans were. Im terribly impatient.

2 Robin @ Bird On A Cake June 14, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I think you just talked me into buying some vanilla beans. I too have the same fears…time to take the plunge!!

3 Karyn June 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I can’t commit myself to spending the money on a vanilla bean! I can’t believe how much they cost…. One of these days I’ll give in and buy one. I know they are worth it, but it’s so pricey!
Thanks for hosting every week. I hope you have a great weekend.

4 Jocelyn @BruCrew Life June 14, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I keep saying I am going to order some too, but then I never do. I did just find some vanilla bean paste in a store in the mall…I need to make something with it now:-) And vanilla sugar sounds awesome! Thanks for hosting!!!

5 Winnie June 15, 2012 at 1:26 am

Hi Allison
I have a few vanilla bean pods and I think they were just waiting for your recipe :)
Thanks for the recipe and thanks for hosting
Hope you have a great weekend!

6 Aimee @ ShugarySweets June 15, 2012 at 7:47 am

Oh how I love my jar of vanilla sugar. Actually I have TWO quart sized mason jars. That way one jar is always being “prepped.” Beanilla has great vanilla beans, they are quite flavorful!!! I’ve ordered from them and amazon and will choose Beanilla from now on! Thanks for hosting Alli.

7 Lyuba June 15, 2012 at 8:09 am

Thank you so much for hosting! I love those vanilla beans! Only ones I use :)

8 keri @ shaken together June 17, 2012 at 3:48 am

I have trying to remember where I saw this recipe … thanks for jogging my memory :) And I just added your button and linked up some coconut cupcakes :)

9 Rachel - A Southern Fairytale June 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I absolutely adore vanilla sugar! I try to keep some on hand at all times :-) I’ve fallen in love with vanilla bean paste, too.

10 Miz Helen June 21, 2012 at 9:46 am

Great idea for a flavored sugar. I just love to keep special sugars on hand. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

11 Alana June 29, 2012 at 9:04 am

I love this idea. I am pinning it :)

12 FlosCaeli September 13, 2014 at 9:40 am

The more we washed our hands with it, the more these bits of spearmint were freed from the soap base.
Talk to the store manager and find out how much they charge to rent a
booth, usually they charge a flat monthly fee. Handmade
items are generally far better in more ways than one, and they should be sought out whenever possible.

13 polka dot bandana September 14, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Many times sales are made of the same items you are wearing at the craft show.

It is available in Amsterdam Netherland, Dusseldorf Germany and San Francisco United States of America.
Because it is a high quality by-product in the handmade natural soap making process, many mass commercial handmade natural soap manufacturers often extract the
glycerine and sell it as a by-product to be used in higher priced products like lotions and skin creams.

14 vintage headbands September 16, 2014 at 10:33 am

the soap base. You can make this simpler by mailing your catalog to them or inquiring by email.
It can be expensive when you first get started as
you will need to go out and get all your tools
to actually do the craft.