There are some things in life that are necessities. Clean water for example. A warm house. An oven that actually bakes.
Also chocolate, coffee, running shoes and banana bread.
Yes, banana bread.
It’s one of my all time favorite breakfasts, afternoon snacks, and late night comfort foods.
I’ve stuffed my face with many, many different kinds of banana bread over the course of my life. My mom made several versions when I was growing up. There was a low-fat recipe that was my go-to for the longest time. And then, there was Hubs’ grandma’s banana bread. The best banana bread in the entire world. Full of buttery goodness with just the right amount of sweetness. And she always made it with chocolate chips. Just for me. This sweet lady somehow remembered that I don’t like nuts in cookies, breads or desserts. This woman baked for everyone, and loved every second of it, and yet she always remembered to make a special banana bread for me.
She’s greatly missed.
When I saw this recipe for banana and nutella bread while drooling my way through Josie’s Kitchen, my assignment for this month’s Secret Recipe Club, I instantly stopped looking. There were no other options. I had to have this banana bread. I also needed an excuse to use up the many bananas threatening to take over my freezer.
And so I made not one loaf, but two. Because when chocolate and bananas are involved, two is always better than one. That’s my philosophy at least.
I believe that it was Josie’s intent that this be a dessert bread, but that certainly didn’t stop me from eating it for breakfast. For, like, 3 days in a row. I did make a few adjustments to Josie’s recipe by reducing the sugar, using half white and half white whole wheat flour and using slightly less Nutella. Therefore, it’s healthier and totally justifies me stuffing my face full of it, day after day.
Mmmmmmm, banana bread.
Chocolate hazelnut-swirled banan bread, an indulgent breakfast treat.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the canola oil and sugar.
- Add in the beaten eggs, stirring until well combined.
- Stir in the milk, mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- In a microwave-safe bowl heat the chocolate hazelnut spread for 15 seconds.
- Gently fold into the banana mixture until the chocolate is swirled in the banana mixture. Over mixing will cause the chocolate to completely blend in with the banana mixture. Still yummy, but you won't have the pretty chocolate swirls.
- Pour batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for for 55-65 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
Inspired by Josie's Kitchen