Peppermint Dark Chocolate Truffle Bars

by Allison @ Alli 'n Son on January 21, 2013

I’ve been a bad blogger.

A very bad blogger.

But, I’ve also been a good mother. A decent, although tired, wife. And a devoted, inspired freelance graphic designer.

All of these things have all contributed to my bad blogger-ness. Yes, that’s totally a word.

Then the holidays happened. Along with it came Influenza A. Nasty, eardrum rupturing ear infections. Strep throat. And all manner of sickness which has spread through our house like no other year.

We were so sick that I hardly baked for the holidays.

I still can’t live that one down.

So, I’ve been a little MIA. I know. I’m sorry.

I’m back to ask for your forgiveness. With chocolate. Of course. But also with left over candy canes. Peppermint (the kiddo’s favorite). And chocolate.

Did I mention chocolate yet?

Untitled

I couldn’t come back without chocolate, now could I?

If I’m being completely honest, Secret Recipe Club is responsible for my return. With help from my January assignment, The Freshman Cook, I finally warmed up the oven, broke out the chocolate chips (what’s left of the ones I haven’t eaten straight out of the bag), and smashed up some candy canes.

Untitled

And made chocolate peppermint goodness. It may not be Christmas anymore, but since I missed out on most of the festivities I’m totally still celebrating.

Won’t you celebrate with me?

Peppermint Dark Chocolate Truffle Bars

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Yield: 16 bars

Peppermint Dark Chocolate Truffle Bars

Peppermint chocolate truffle bars topped with crushed candy canes.

• 6 ounces (3/4 cup) dark chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-3/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of fine sea salt
  • 4 regular sized candy canes, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spray a 9x9 square pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt. Set aside.
  4. In a microwave-safe bowl combine the chocolate chips and butter. Heat for 30 seconds, and stir. Continue to heat and stir for 30 seconds until the chocolate and butter have completely melted. About 1-1/2 minutes.
  5. Stir in the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing throughly after each one. Stir in the peppermint extract.
  6. Stir in the flour mixture. The dough will be thick.
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
  8. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top, pressing lightly. Bake for another 12-15 minutes, or until the top is set.
  9. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.

Notes

If it isn't candy cane season, you can leave them off or substitute chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or M&Ms.

Inspired by The Freshman Cook

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

1 Melissa's Cuisine January 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I think you can celebrate Christmas year round! These bars look great. I hope you are all feeling better!

2 Erin @ Making Memories January 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Heavenly! Wonderful choice!

3 Rebekah @ Making Miracles January 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Oh those look WONDERFUL!! I love minty chocolate anything. :)

4 Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles January 21, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Mmm reminds me of the holidays! I was so sad when my husband made me take down the Christmas tree and lights :( . If it were up to me, I’d leave them up year round!

Thanks also for the lovely Microwave Streusel Topped French Toast. It was so easy and and wonderful way to start our day!

5 misschelsmangia January 21, 2013 at 7:12 pm

say what now? Yum!

6 Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 21, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Welcome Back! So sorry for all the sick. :( I’m glad you turned your oven on, because man these look good!

7 Kitchen Belleicious January 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm

hey no worries! We can both join the bad blogger club! although i have kept a post up each week thats about all i have been able to do. Just one post- no comments, thats it! glad to see you back and even more glad to see these bars

8 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} January 21, 2013 at 9:49 pm

What a FUN spin on a brownie! I bet they did not last long around your house. Glad to be part of SRC with you!

9 Paula January 22, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Welcome back. Sorry that you and your family were struck with the flu, especially over the holiday :( Your bars look delicious. Hope you can all stay healthy throughout the rest of the Winter.

10 Toni January 22, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Those look so fun and festive! I have a box of candy canes leftover from Christmas and now I know what to do with them. :) Great recipe!

11 kristy @ Gastronomical Sovereignty January 26, 2013 at 7:37 am

a of all: peppermint and chocolate = the best flavor combination. ever. well done.

b of all: what is it with chocolate chips and eating them out of the bag?? oddest of memories: when i was a kid i used to climb up on the counter in front of my mom’s baking cupboard and shovel chips in my mouth, straight from the bag, before she could catch me.

happy src reveal! xo, kristy

12 gloria January 26, 2013 at 9:18 am

I wasnt sure if I see these the other day but I think not, are really amazing and look delicious I love the pictures!

13 West Michigan chiropractor June 30, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Hi there, its fastidious article regarding media print, we
all understand media is a wonderful source of information.

14 recommended June 19, 2014 at 11:42 pm

replica hermes birkin handbags Secret Recipe Club: Peppermint Dark Chocolate Truffle Bars