I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’m slightly obsessive with food right now. Well, always, but I’m obsessive with two foods in particular.
Bananas and avocados.
I eat both of these on a near daily basis. Why you may ask? Because they are magic foods.
Magic running foods.
Bananas help fuel my legs as I push them through miles I never dreamed I could run (15 miles coming up this weekend…).
Bananas because they help my overused, overtired, but damn sexy legs recover from the ridiculous miles that I demand from them every week (44+ miles last week).
Avocados because they somehow keep my legs from giving out. They somehow help with recovery. They somehow keep my energy levels up even after the most difficult of runs.
Avocados because they are damn tasty.
My obsessive love for these two foods brought up a serious dilemma for Secret Recipe Club. Should I pick a banana recipe, because duh, bananas are freaking awesome. Or should I pick an avocado recipe, because duh, avocados are flipping amazing.
Bananas or avocado? Avocado or bananas?
It’s an age old question.
So I sifted through any and all recipes by Deanna and Serena from Teaspoon of Spice and I obsessed for days over what to make. Bacon and Roasted Garlic Guacamole? Avocado Vanilla Fruit Dip? Avocado Lime Popsicles? Lime Creamsicle Tortilla Crunch Pie? These all had my mouth watering, and my curiosity peaked since I haven’t gone sweet with avocados. Yet.
Do you understand the kind of stress I was under, picking a recipe?
And then, there, staring me in the face, was the recipe that ultimately won. Frozen Banana S’mores.
Partly because the staring ingredient is banana.
Partly because they are super, duper easy.
Partly because I love anything chocolate.
Partly because I could make it with the Kiddo.
Partly because filled up an empty summer afternoon.
But mostly because, well, I love bananas, chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows. Especially when thrown together into a tasty, frozen, summer-satisfying treat.
Happy, happy summer.
The essential summer treat: frozen bananas dripped in chocolate and covered in graham cracker crumbs and marshmallows.
- 3 bananas
- 1 sheet cinnamon graham crackers, crumbled
- Giant handful mini marshmallows (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 popsicle sticks (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Peel bananas and cut in half. Insert popsicle sticks, if using, and freeze for 20 minutes.
- While the bananas are freezing, assemble the rest of the ingredients. In two small bowls place the graham cracker crumbs and marshmallows.
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the chocolate chips and oil. Microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir. Repeat until melted.
- Remove bananas from freezer and working quickly, cover bananas in melted chocolate. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the banana halves.
- Dip one end of a marshmallow in the remaining chocolate and stick it to the chocolate-covered bananas.
- Place chocolate-covered bananas in the freezer for at least 2 hours to harden.
- Before eating, let the bananas sit at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften just a bit.
- Once bananas have been frozen, store them in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
Slightly adapted from Teaspoons of Spice